Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jessy Long Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2016, 07:02 PM
    Homemade Insecticide
    I live just outside of Tucson Arizona and there are a lot of venomous spiders, scorpions and other potentially harmful critters. I have 2 retrievers, 2 cats and 4 turtles and would like to avoid using harmful, toxic pesticides. I reviewed a few articles online and various ingredients were suggested. I took a few from each website with the intentions of creating a fail proof mixture. Can I mix the below ingredients without having to worry about a chemical reaction? Are any of these harmful to turtles, cats, dogs or humans? I only intend on spraying the outside perimeter of the house, windows and door ways. Thank you in advance for your time.

Organic Dish Soap
    Lavender oil
    Citronella oil
    Eucalyptus oil
    Cinnamon bark oil
    Peppermint oil
    Organic Tobacco
    Fresh Garlic
    Fresh Lemon and Lime

Sincerely,

Jessy Long
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 9, 2016, 01:06 AM
    That's a rather long list of ingredients, many of which will perform the same function and some will work against each other.

First, drop either the cinnamon or peppermint oil. They both do the same thing.

Secondly, Lemon and Lime are attractants while almost everything else on the list are repellants.

Third, tobacco (nicotine) is the MOST toxic pesticide in existence.

The organic pest repellants commercially available combine eucalyptus and thyme oils and seem to be quite effective for a period of about three months. Usually they are sold as slowly dissolving granules to be applied as a band about eight feet wide around the structure.

You might consider several test batches of different ingredients to see what works best in your local conditions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The insecticide that kills wasps, is that a good product to use to kill bagworms? [ 2 Answers ]

I have two evergreen trees planted outside of my front porch. I first noticed these little cocoons looking things hanging from the pine leaves, and almost looking as if it were pine cones. Then I notice my evergreen trees were turning brown, and I thought that I may have used too much water while...

Which of the anti-caking agents is best for boric acid base insecticide [ 1 Answers ]

Which of the anti-caking agents is best for boric acid base insecticide

Homemade desserts [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone know any websites that has homemade dessert recipes listed? I've been to one website and not trying to be rude but when I baked the stuff, it tasted nasty... so if anyone has tried the stuff also please tell me which site has really good desserts, thanks!

Recipe for Organic Insecticide [ 2 Answers ]

Please advise homemade recipe for insecticide.

View more questions Search