Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2016, 05:31 AM
    Looking for an adapter from USB to HDMI
    Hey, hoping for a little help here. I have some DVD's that keep messing up in everything that I am trying to play them on, but for some reason the only thing they will play perfectly on is my computer, and I is a pain to watch on it. Problem is, my computer has no HDMI ports in it, only USB.. My receiver only has HDMI hookups. Is there some kind of adapter out there that I can somehow connect the two? I have tried looking around but all I get is some kind of micro on one end or the other, and I do not need that. If something like this does exist I would appreciate a point in the right direction. Thanks in advance!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 7, 2016, 09:48 AM
    Seems easily solved, but I don't know for sure. 'Some kind of micro' - what's wrong with that? Your computer and receiver have to know how to talk to each other aside from random bits flowing through a plug.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...xLahoCRPbw_wcB

I for one would start shopping online for a used receiver that has both. Might be as cheap as any device.
    No USB and no HDMI = ancient.
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2016, 10:51 AM
    Thank you for answering. The micro I was referring to was about the ends of the cable. One end being a regular size HDMI or USB or vice-versa. Neither the computer or the receiver have a micro size port.. That is usually used to hook to a phone or a smaller device of the like. This is the receiver I was referring to by the way. Onkyo 5.1.2-Channel Dolby Atmos Ready Network Home Theater | hhgregg

My computer was purchased about 3-4 years ago brand new (Probably referred to as old now a days) and for whatever reason this model did not have HDMI ports. I didn't even think of it being a necessity when purchasing. To this day, I have not needed it, although might have if it were available.

The link you sent me seems to be what I was looking for though, just not the price, which seems crazy for what it is. I for some reason could not find it when browsing different sites.

Thank you very much for your help!
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jun 8, 2016, 07:28 AM
    What other ports do you have on your laptop? VGA? DVI? You might be able to find a cheaper coverter for that. Is USB the only port on your laptop?
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2016, 10:08 AM
    It is a desktop, one of those HP all-in-one type of deals. No VGI, no DVI, just USB, as far as I could see.. Which is strange. I forgot my fiancé had a laptop though. It has an HDMI port, so we were able to play this disc through her laptop and hook up with an HDMI cable. So we luckily have solved our problem for now.

Thanks for the help!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 10, 2016, 02:00 PM
    Your choices are endless. Do you have high speed wifi ? If so I would recommend you take a look at Roku. They have an app to run your other machines or phones through it to your tv plus you can choose alternate channels too.
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2016, 04:44 AM
    I unfortunately do not have high speed internet. The only internet I have is through a hotspot from a Verizon Jetpack and I only get 5 GB's. Although it is 4G LTE, and fast, I do not have enough gigs to do anything with. I only wish I did so I can have so many other options.

I had asked on here before about mirroring my phone to my TV with Miracast, but had no luck, my phone only would stay connected for about 1-2 minutes then disconnect for whatever reason.

High speed internet has never been in my area but I am hoping one day it will, be, Fiber optics is what I am really hoping for!

Thanks!
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jun 15, 2016, 07:52 AM
    I have a question about your DVD's and what your trying to play them with (keep messing up). Are they store bought DVD's or made by you? And what are you trying to play them with that messes up? (a DVD set top box?). If they're made by you there could be some compatibility issues with set top type boxes. They can be very finicky when it comes to different video and audio codecs. A store bought DVD (not blueray) is produced in MPEG2 format for the video and audio is usually AC3. There is a free app for examining what formats your videos are in called "MediaInfo" you can use it to examine the VOB files of your DVD on the PC and see if they're MPEG2 and AC3. Look at one of the main movie VOB's usually around 1gig. Just right click MEDIAINFO which would end up in your right click context menu for most video and audio formats once installed.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2016, 03:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    I have a question about your DVD's and what your trying to play them with (keep messing up). Are they store bought DVD's or made by you? And what are you trying to play them with that messes up? (a DVD set top box?). If they're made by you there could be some compatibility issues with set top type boxes. They can be very finicky when it comes to different video and audio codecs. A store bought DVD (not blueray) is produced in MPEG2 format for the video and audio is usually AC3. There is a free app for examining what formats your videos are in called "MediaInfo" you can use it to examine the VOB files of your DVD on the PC and see if they're MPEG2 and AC3. Look at one of the main movie VOB's usually around 1gig. Just right click MEDIAINFO which would end up in your right click context menu for most video and audio formats once installed.
    Thanks for your response. The DVD's were bought new on Ebay. It was a 6 season, 21 disc set. Originally, when I received them, they were new in package and inside, the DVD's were individually inside their own plastic sleeve tucked in the hard cover case. I had never seen each disc individually wrapped like that and I wonder if maybe at some point they got to hot and the cover on them kind of stuck to the disc causing a film over it.

I put the first and second disc in my ps3 to play it and they worked fine.. Come disc number 3 the ps3 automatically popped up saying it could not play the disc. I didn't know why and kept trying it but then put it in a regular DVD player and it worked fine. I would go back and forth from the ps3 and DVD player different times until finally sticking with just the DVD player because the ps3 was almost always unsuccessful in playing them. Then came points, where I had to rotate in another DVD player to play the discs, then it got to the point where some discs would only work on my computer. That's when I got to the point of wanting to connect the PC to the TV but had no luck until we started using the laptop, and it worked fine. Always seems like the season finale of each season is guaranteed to have to be played through the computer. Something about that disc particularly doesn't want to be played elsewhere.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jun 18, 2016, 06:21 AM
    I gave a follow up answer that was removed probably because it talked about copying the discs. The fair use act allows you to make copies of discs you own but doesn't allow for by-passing protections. I have had success getting store bought dvds that would not play out of the box to play if copied to a blank dvd. If your dvds are unprotected you have a right to make a back-up copy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HDMI Adapter [ 5 Answers ]

Someone gave my daughter a Blu Ray player for christmas. I went to hook it up to her LCD TV and guess what....no HDMI connector on the TV. The DVD player only has HDMI out and no other options. The TV has RCA Jacks and a coax jack. I've never seen anything like this and always thought LCD had at...

Can I use an HDMI cable with a DVI/HDTV component if I buy an adapter for it [ 1 Answers ]

I have an RCA TV with an DVI/HDTV component and I was wondering if I could get an adapter for it so I can use my HDMI cable. Any suggestions?

How do we convert usb to hdmi? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi Guys: Please, please, please help us convert our Wifi DY-WL10PP-K Panasonic Lan Adapter to our Panasonic Panasonic TC-P42C2 42" 720p Class Viera® C2 Series Plasma HDTV that does not have any USB Ports, so we can use our surround sound system wireless. We need all and everyone who may know...

Using a Zydas 1211b USB adapter with a USB Extension cord. [ 12 Answers ]

I just bought a Zydas 1211B USB WiFi adapter,but it came with no cord.It works fine when plugged directly into my laptop,but when I plug it into a 5ft usb extension cord Windows recognizes it,but I can pick up no signals that I normally can.Occasionally Windows acts reluctant to recognize it,any...

USB - PS2 (p/s2) adapter [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have a laptop with XP and a dancemat which I use with it by using a USB-PS2 adapter - effectively the dancemat is a keyboard. This works fine with an old adapter of a friend which has the words "AWG space shuttle-c CSA LL80671 AWM IIA/B 80 degrees c 30" written on the wire. I bought a new...

View more questions Search