Ask
    todd b Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2016, 06:15 PM
    Can someone with criminal history become a health information technologist
    Can someone with a criminal record become a health information technologist
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 4, 2016, 06:35 PM
    Much too vague - where in the world, or what state if the US, what crime, how long ago, how many, what kind of health information, what job setting, the list goes on and on.

It takes a lot of asking around, at schools, state licensing divisions, and employers.

Sometimes the answer is that it depends on the employer, if you aren't specifically going to be in contact with medications or patients.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 5, 2016, 04:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Much too vague - where in the world, or what state if the US, what crime, how long ago, how many, what kind of health information, what job setting, the list goes on and on.

It takes a lot of asking around, at schools, state licensing divisions, and employers.

Sometimes the answer is that it depends on the employer, if you aren't specifically going to be in contact with medications or patients.
    The answer is a definite NO. Any position in healtchare requires a criminal background check on application. I don't think the OP would qualify. Anyone working in healthcare has to have a squeaky clean reputation. no matter what the position.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 5, 2016, 05:15 AM
    tickle - it doesn't have to be 'in healthcare.' It can be an insurance company medical claims division.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 5, 2016, 06:30 AM
    Many companies outsource HIT (Heath Information Technology) employees these days. Many people actually do it from home and make good money.

Since the HIT employee doesn't come into contact with patients because most of HIT is billing and coding, it is possible that a person with a record can indeed have this career. It will, though, depend on what that criminal record consists of. If the record is in regards to identity theft, for example, then the answer will be no.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 5, 2016, 06:48 PM
    I will agree with J9. If the person comes into contact (or would normally,) then no, but if there is no contact with the patient, they can

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Criminal history of new boyfriend [ 3 Answers ]

Would a mother be considered unfit if her and her child lived with a man that has a repeated history of violence and drug charges? Lets say 8 counts of agravated assult and drug charges even if its from 7 years ago? I really need some advise so please help me..

Criminal history - adoption [ 1 Answers ]

In 1996, when I was 21, I lived with 4 other guys. We hosted a large house party where people under the age of 17 were allegedly drinking. The following day, the police arrived and asked us about the incident – specifically – they wanted to know who served the minors alcohol. The...

Criminal History [ 7 Answers ]

I have been told that after a 10 year period - a person does not have to disclose their criminal history on employment applications. Can anyone confirm this statement.

Criminal history [ 3 Answers ]

How can I help my husband get a job. He told his xwife I'm going to kill you but because he was angry she was cheating on him to the custody of kids and let put him in jail.

Criminal Background History [ 1 Answers ]

At the age of 20 while attending Job Corps), I was arrested for fighting and received an "Attempted felonious Assault" misdemeanor. A few months later I received another misdemeanor for "Obstruction of the peace" I am now 36, and I lost my job which I have been on since before 9-11, therefore...

View more questions Search