Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SRWilson Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Why low water pressure only at specific taps?
    I have adequate water pressure coming into the house, 90psi at the meter, pressure reducing valve lowers it to 60 psi. This is verified by an inline pressure gage.

Some taps have good pressure/flow but the main bath pressure/flow is steadily decreasing slowly. I have replaced shower heads, cleaned filters but no success.

I had a plumber over to assess the situation but he said he didn't know why only some areas are low pressure.

The house is a basement rancher and the problems are on the main level. There is good pressure/flow at other places on the main level. The house is 10 years old. Any ideas why the pressure/flow in one bath is low while one 10 feet away (across a wall) is fine?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 14, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Is this loss in both hot and cold or is it in just one? If hot water only do you flush your heater and what's its age? Have you opened up the problem faucets and checked the inlet ports of the cartridges? Lets have more details. Regards, Tom
    SRWilson Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 05:05 PM
    The pressure loss is both hot and cold. There is a lot of sediment in the faucet filters that has been cleaned and I drained/flushed the hot water heater (gas, approx 11 yrs old). The sediment is no longer showing up on the filters but the pressure is still low. I am investigating the cartridges now to see if they are clogged. When I drained the water tank, I taped a cloth over the end of the hose and got approximately 1/4 cup of white sediment caught in the cloth. Does this help?
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Apr 14, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Wow. That's a nice amount of sediment. :eek:

When you remove the cartridge(s), be sure to flush out the supply lines: with the cartridge out, hold a bucket over the hole where the cartridge usually is (to contain the splash), and have someone turn the water supply back on full blast for ten seconds. Do this for both the hot and cold water lines. That should hopefully flush out any residual sediment that would normally not come out of the pipe as a result of the cartridge's holes being to small.

To prevent this from happening again, I would strongly recommend installing a whole-house sediment filter on your water main, just after the pressure reducing valve and inline pressure gauge.

Hope this helps,
    Moishe
    Note: if this post was helpful, please rate it by clicking "Rate this Answer!" below. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No water pressure in any of my taps [ 2 Answers ]

I do not know about plumbing however we do not have any pressure and no water in the kitchen sink and no pressure for any other sink, not upstairs or down. I need to know how to trouble shoot.

No water to both sinks / very low cold water pressure to bath and washer [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen and bathroom sink have no water, period. Hot water seems to be pretty good to the bath and washer but cold water to those 2 locations are very weak. The outside faucet is very weak at best. I have had this problem for quite some time so it's not the fact that they are frozen. I just...

Low water pressure oil hot water heating system [ 1 Answers ]

How does one go about increasing water pressure in a baseboard heating system?

Low Pressure and Low Flow Water Supply [ 4 Answers ]

I recently moved into a house that is about 6 years old. The house sits upon a small hill. The water pressure is 40 psi at the street and the flow rate is 13 gpm. At the house, the pressure is about 30 psi and the flow rate is 3.5 gpm. The house is higher than the street level, but the...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search