Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tamiblair Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2016, 06:26 PM
    Pre-employment check question
    Ive been offeted a position with a major financial institution. My references... prior employment and criminal checks have come back good.
    Only thing keeping me from being accepted for the final offer is a few years back I was a teller. I was fresh out of school and relied on public transport.
    That winter was very very bad which delayed my commute a lot. They also placed me at a branch 20 miles from home which didn't help.
    Well, I ended up being let go. The branch manager made it clear it was due to the latenesses and even said, "at the interview i was actually worried about the distance."

Well, this prospective employer needs a written statement from them as to why I was let go.
    In Pennsylvania, by law, they are not to give this info out.
    I spoke to both my ex district mgr and HR and they both confirmed this.

The prospective employer is in NJ.

This is the law. And they are not willing to break it.
    Can my new employer seriously rescind the job offer because they will not be able to get this info?

I mean, I begged them to please tell them but they refused.
    Oh, and when I was terminated, I remember the branch mgr getting mad at me because I didn't get upset! I had my hairdressing license previously and nicely said that I will return to the salon.
    He then apparently changed the reason for termination from attendance to misconduct!! I was a very good employee, made my sales and followed the rules to a T.
    They realigned branches, laid off good people, half the branch quit because they were so disgusted, but I stayed loyal and worked hard and helped cover shifts. And this is what he does?
    Can he even do that?

Anyway, my only concern is again, can I lose this position for the sheer fact that LAW won't allow my reason for termination to be released?

Thank you
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2016, 06:53 PM
    This is very unusual. Most employers know that former employers will NOT put termination cause in writing - especially to a third party.

Also, it is probably not "the law" that says, simply, "employers may not give reason why an employee was terminated". Exactly what PA law says that?

Bottom line is that if an employer does not want you, move on. Depending on how long (you did not say) it was that you left that job in PA, you may consider leaving it off your resume, or state the reason that you left them in a different way.
    Tamiblair Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2016, 06:59 PM
    I normally would not have put it on my resume but I signed a consent form in my application that stated they use a database called myworknumber and using my ssn they will have full view of every employer I had who reported my wages to the IRS. I just really need this position. The pay and benefits are wonderful.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 1, 2016, 10:27 PM
    Ask your former employee to give YOU (not the new company) a copy of your final termination paper work, that included cause for discharge.
    They may (and I believe must) provide you copies of your file.

Then you can provide that information to them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pre-employment question? [ 4 Answers ]

I went for a job interview yesterday and was called and told to go in for a medical physical and drug screening. Does that mean I got the job if I pass the physical and drug screening?

Pre-employment background check [ 2 Answers ]

Will A Felony Arrest/charge Show Up On A Pre-employment Background Check ? I Live In The State Of Georgia And Do Not Know What Most Background Checks Show. I Gave A Co-worker A Ride Home Little Did I Know She Had More On Her Person Than Just Her Purse. Thanks For Your Answers.

Exxon pre-employment background check [ 0 Answers ]

I am in the drug test/ back ground check partion of Exxon chem employement. I have no record. I do have "3" warrarnts, 1 tail light out, 2 expired inspection sticker. Now I am very uneasy about this. I did not even think about these when back ground check was mentioned. I assumed more criminal than...

Will a judgement for back child support show up on a pre-employment background check? [ 0 Answers ]

I have been job hunting for quite some time now, and I have had a few interviews, but no offers. The only thing that I think might be holding me back is that I have a judgement for back child support. The money is getting paid, I'm not making any excuses. Could this be showing up in my...

View more questions Search