Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cgrahek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2016, 02:38 PM
    I'm purchasing a piece of property with six units. Are the pet deposits transferable
    I'm purchasing a piece of property with six units. The sellers realtor says that the pet deposits are not transferable to the buyer. Is there any statues that I can quote to show him
    The law?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2016, 02:45 PM
    I doubt this... but it would not be the first time that an "odd" State law superceded what is normal.

Google for your State's landlord tenant laws to find out for sure.

Don't forget too that everything is negotiable; you can simply make it a part of the deal that all deposits, including pet or other, on record by tenants are transferred to you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 1, 2016, 10:32 PM
    The issue here, is that these deposits, are just that, and are suppose to be keep in a separate bank account, and returned to renter, when they move. Unless they are a pet fee, not deposit.

Again, require them to prove it is the law, show statue and number.
    I doubt it is,
    Because you will have the liability to pay that deposit to them, when they move out.

Sounds more like a lie, trying to penny and dime you to death, getting any profit they can.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 2, 2016, 05:56 AM
    Is there any statues that I can quote to show him The law?
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    Google for your State's landlord tenant laws to find out for sure.
    As RickJ suggests, landlord-tenant laws are for the most part a matter of state statute. And we don't know what state you are in.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 3, 2016, 03:15 AM
    You'll be most likely wasting time looking for this in state law, unless you want to claim that law regarding security deposits applies to pet deposits.
    It's possible that the pet deposits aren't even deposits, but fees, and are not refundable. Cleaning 'deposits' aren't always deposits either.
    This is the sort of thing you talk out with the SELLER, and maybe even the tenants, to see what their understanding is.
    YOU are holding all the cards. If you don't like what is going on, you walk away.
    Sometimes that is a bluff, but it works - the agent will compromise on their commission sometimes. But NEVER suggest that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 3, 2016, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrahek View Post
    Is there any statues that I can quote to show him. The law?
    Without knowing where you are located how do you expect us to cite statutes? But why not take the offensive. Ask the realtor to show you any statutes that support his position.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pet deposits? [ 3 Answers ]

What are the legal rules and regulations in California regarding pet deposits?

Pet deposits [ 1 Answers ]

Do you get a full pet deposit back if no damage is done?

Pet Deposits? [ 2 Answers ]

I decided to get my son a cat after we moved into our new apartment. When it came around to sign a new lease I paid a pet deposit of $300 on top of that they want an additional $20 a month for a "Pet Fee" and it is to be included in my rent each month (no separate check). I just want to know if the...

Pet Deposits [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find some information on pet deposits in Virginia. I rented a house for about 6 months and they just took my entire deposit to replace the carpet in the house. First off, there was nothing wrong with it. When we did the final inspection they even said how nice the carpet looked...

Security deposits/pet deposits - Texas tenant law [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, This involves a lease that went month to month and verbal agreements. During tenants stay, they broke several personal items (sculptures, fountain) on the property and brought in a second dog. In the written lease, there is nothing abuot pets. I gave them erbal permission to have one...

View more questions Search