Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fixer145 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2016, 10:12 AM
    Breaking Lease on Condo
    Hello,

Currently my wife and I are living in a condo that we have signed a lease for a year and half. We have been in there for 6 months now. (still have a year left). We signed the lease agreement with the landlord with all intentions of not living there for the full lease agreement, he had mentioned that we would be able to break the lease at any time. (however no lease breaking conditions are stated in the lease).

Fast forward to today, we are in the middle stages of escrow on buying a new house. We let the landlord know that we would be moving out with a 30 days notice. He is now saying that we are obligated by law for the remainder of the lease, even though there are no terms for breaking it in the contract. He said he would be willing to cancel the lease if he keeps all our deposit and security money and pay him an additional $1,500. (which I feel is a scam). Our realtor is doing what she can to help us start mitigating damages by trying to help him start looking for new tenants. It has been 4 days since and he has made no effort in searching for a replacement for us.

As a side note, a month back we had issues with out A/C and he had insulted us and told us to open a door. I had to get angry with I'm until he wanted to fix it. I also got a text from him stating, 'If you want out of the lease we can cancel it.. no problem. Don't feel stuck. I want you happy'. Well we weren't happy so we went out to buy our own home. Also when we moved into the place it was a disaster. We spend well over 6 hours cleaning it before we could move and unpack. We also had a whole corner garage of large items of trash, he told us, 'call bulk pickup' and had us take care of it. (wasn't ours). We also repainted and fixed walls.

He has now mentioned that if he doesn't get a new tenant to mitigate damages or we don't pay him the $1,500 that he will take us to court.

Will he/can he do this?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 1, 2016, 12:12 PM
    Yes, he can do that.

You should have got it in writing when he first told you that you could "break the lease", whatever that means. Normally, the phrase means to breach a lease contract, for which one can be sued. If you took that to mean that you could get out of the lease without penalty, he can probably say you misunderstood, and there would be no consideration for that agreement anyway (making it generally unenforceable).

Similarly, you should get his new settlement terms in writing.

How, by the way, do you know that he has been doing nothing to mitigate for the past 4 days?
    fixer145 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2016, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Yes, he can do that.

You should have got it in writing when he first told you that you could "break the lease", whatever that means. Normally, the phrase means to breach a lease contract, for which one can be sued. If you took that to mean that you could get out of the lease without penalty, he can probably say you misunderstood, and there would be no consideration for that agreement anyway (making it generally unenforceable).

Similarly, you should get his new settlement terms in writing.

How, by the way, do you know that he has been doing nothing to mitigate for the past 4 days?

Thank you for your advice. So far he has not come by to put up a 'for rent' sign or has he posted the listing on Craigslist.

I have offered to help him, and I do have my realtor who is going to help if he hasn't found a new tenant in a week. My only concern is that we won't find a new tenant by the 30th when our move out date is on.

He does have our initial deposit which is 1 months rent, so does that mean we have paid him for through July to find a new tenant?

I've been know to get rather emotional in stressful situations so my realtor has advised me not to contact him, and she will be contacting him on our behalf.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2016, 02:21 PM
    The property owner doesn't have to accept help finding a new tenant or accept anyone you send them. The property has to be made ready for market before it's listed,and 4 days isn't enough. Since you broke a legal contract it's on you. They only have to make a good faith effort to market it. And it doesn't have to be to your standards, only to what's typical for the region. I'm surprised nobody warned you before you got far into this process.

There are real estate markets where finding a new tenant will take some time, others it will be easy. You need to hope you are in one of the latter.

Breaking legal contracts carries a penalty. You avoid them only through luck. Or preplanning, and getting conditions in writing.

Good luck proving anything verbal when you sign something that says something else. This is why you always read everything, especially the fine print before you sign it. The time for negotiating is before its signed.

One huge mistake is signing a long term lease knowing you intend to violate it. Or any other contract for that matter.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 1, 2016, 10:34 PM
    As everyone is telling you, you are obligated to continue to pay the lease, until it is rented. Did not look your state up, some require him to try and find a renter, other states do not even require him to try to find renter.

His offer is not really that bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord agreeing to breaking lease. One tenant on lease not living in house [ 4 Answers ]

I am an Ohio. Landlord who rented a house to an unmarried couple w/ 4 biological children. There was a domestic dispute-father left house-am not sure if there is a restraining order in this case. Mother is having a tough time paying rent on her own. I agreed to allow her to break her lease-without...

Kentucky lease statutes? Mental health applicable for breaking a lease in KY? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has had to be moved from Ky to AZ because she has become suicidal due to a trauma she had a few years ago which has just hit her hard. She is in a mental health facility getting help and she will not be returning to KY. Can she legally break the lease due to her mental/medical status...

Kentucky lease statutes? Mental health applicable for breaking a lease in KY? [ 0 Answers ]

My daughter has had to be moved from Ky to AZ because she has become suicidal due to a trauma she had a few years ago which has just hit her hard. She is in a mental health facility getting help and she will not be returning to KY. Can she legally break the lease due to her mental/medical status...

Breaking a condo lease in Lake Bluff, Il [ 2 Answers ]

We signed a lease for one year back :( in August 2007. My employer went out of business in January 2008. I have found another job, but it takes me out of state. Is there any law in Illinois that allows me to break a lease for that reason?

Breaking a lease prior to occupancy.lease already signed [ 13 Answers ]

Help. My question is this... i signed a lease to rent a single family home... i gave a 200.00 deposit to hold it/toward security. I am unable to move into the home because i have to go out of state for a very ill family member (mother). ive tried to contact "LANDLORD" several times when i heard of...

View more questions Search