Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nitacarol49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2016, 05:58 AM
    If a part-time person works over 29 hours?
    If a person works part-time and on say in 52 weeks works over the 29 hours say 5 or 6 times will there company be fined.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 29, 2016, 07:19 AM
    First any question about law needs to include a general locale as laws vary by area.

Generally, however, it is unlikely. A part time employee is generally a hourly employee. The only scenario I see where a company might be fined, is where the employee is being denied benefits available to full time employees because of the part time designation and that employee consistently works over the time allotted for part timers.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 29, 2016, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First any question about law needs to include a general locale as laws vary by area.

Generally, however, it is unlikely. A part time employee is generally a hourly employee. The only scenario I see where a company might be fined, is where the employee is being denied benefits available to full time employees because of the part time designation and that employee consistently works over the time allotted for part timers.
    Scott, I believe this is in Tennessee as the OP piggybacked their question on a very old thread.

Here in TN an employer will not get dinged for a part time employee working so little over their allotted scheduled time. The problem arises when a part time employed works full time hours on a very regular basis.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 30, 2016, 04:49 AM
    It depends, with Obamacare causing so many work-arounds for small employers.

"If an employee works an average of 30 hours a week or 130 hours a month or more it is considered full-time and large employers must provide health insurance. To be considered part-time, the employee must work more than 120 days in a year. Only employers with 50 or more full-time equivalent employees who have to comply with the mandate have to offer coverage to full-time employees or get a fine." ---http://obamacarefacts.com/

I'm guessing that you didn't work more than 130 hours a month.

(I don't get the definition of part time - why would there be a minimum of days per year worked?)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 30, 2016, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    (I don't get the definition of part time - why would there be a minimum of days per year worked?)
    In my facility part time employees are required to work 2 shifts per week.. That's 24 hours a week. Minimum of 104 shifts per year for part timers.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 30, 2016, 08:44 AM
    But why would Obamacare rules set such a minimum? Are we to assume that if someone working part time hours each week who fails to work 120 days a year doesn't have to be covered? I suppose summer workers might work 30/week but only for 100 days... that's what I'm assuming, but think it's strangely written.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Part time verses full time hours [ 3 Answers ]

If I work 17 weeks per year @ 24 hrs per week and the balance of the year at 40 hrs. or more per week, am I classified as a "part time employee or full time employee"?

Is it legal to cut working hours from full time to part time [ 6 Answers ]

My company that I have worked for for nearly 20 years has been changing peoples hours with out notice by making them re-apply for other hours that are all part time 20hours or less . So if you had a job with 38 hours they would be no longer and you would have to apply for two 20 hour jobs with no...

What is considered part time hours for TN? [ 1 Answers ]

How many hours are you allowed to work to be considered part time employee in state of TN?

Part time lunch hours? [ 1 Answers ]

Can employer force you take a unpaid meal for a 4 and a half hours long shift?

View more questions Search