Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzie100 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2016, 09:01 AM
    Living with someone with anxiety and stress
    I'm finding it really hard to live with my husbands anxiety, I'm normally a very easy to get on with person, but this is making me really anxious and impatient. I feel very bad because I can't cope with it.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 28, 2016, 10:26 AM
    You are asking us for coping methods ? Any information regarding your husband's issues should be addressed by the both of you with his doctor. What type of medications is he on at the moment to assist him with this ?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 28, 2016, 12:12 PM
    You can't cope with it. What is HE doing to cope with anxiety?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 28, 2016, 12:14 PM
    Is there a specific reason for his anxiety? Has he always had this issue, or is it a recent situation that has him (or you) anxious? Does he realize he has an issue or has this kind of affect on YOU? How long have you been married and are there kids,or any financial difficulties?

Help us out with a picture of your life and some facts.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 28, 2016, 02:37 PM
    'Help us out with a picture of your life and some facts.'

Really! Are you in Germany and both 75 year old widows? In Thailand and newlyweds in your early 20s? Does he work? Do you? Is there a current situation for his anxiety, such as lack of finances, or family obligations? Do you realize that your question is so broad that it's like asking how to find jeans that fit?

Just in general, as said above, you have to live your life, and he has to deal with his anxiety himself. You can be supportive in just a few ways, but need to not get embroiled in all this for your own sake. If you can describe a SITUATION that is causing his stress, tell us, and we can steer you in the right direction to suggest to HIM.

May 29, 2016, 12:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    'Help us out with a picture of your life and some facts.'

Really! Are you in Germany and both 75 year old widows? In Thailand and newlyweds in your early 20s? Does he work? Do you? Is there a current situation for his anxiety, such as lack of finances, or family obligations? Do you realize that your question is so broad that it's like asking how to find jeans that fit?

Just in general, as said above, you have to live your life, and he has to deal with his anxiety himself. You can be supportive in just a few ways, but need to not get embroiled in all this for your own sake. If you can describe a SITUATION that is causing his stress, tell us, and we can steer you in the right direction to suggest to HIM.
    Thanks for your interest. I'm sorry I wasn't more informative. We are not 2 widows living in Germany, nor are we newlyweds living in Thailand. However I am English and a few years ago we moved to my husband's country of origin in East Europe, it's extremely difficult to get any outside advice because of the language. I realise now that the question I put on here was very vague and a bit futile, I think I was just more desperate yesterday than normal. One thing you said hit a chord, I think I am becoming too embroiled in this, I will take this and try not to be. Thank you.

May 29, 2016, 01:16 AM
    Thank you to everyone who took an interest in my question, it is appreciated.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jun 1, 2016, 08:46 AM
    As the spouse, you do have to learn to cope with it. His anxiety and stress certainly affects you and being in an unfamiliar place, I'm sure, exacerbates it. Regardless of what he may or may not be doing to help himself, anxiety/stress is an on-going issue that affects the individuals life as well as those around him.

If you do need help coping, online support groups might be of use, especially when they can connect you with people of a familiar culture to your own. Maybe you need more time for yourself in a peaceful environment? Walks alone, reading outdoors, journaling, etc. all help me when I need to meditate on some things. I happen to be the spouse with anxiety in our relationship-I only wish my husband was more understanding when I'm going through a difficult time. It's not easy, that's for sure. Good luck to you both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is taking vitamin supplements will help dealing with stress and anxiety? [ 17 Answers ]

Hello everyone! How odd is that of a human nature that when you need something then only you start to think over it. Well guys its kind of I am assuming that I may be suffering from stress and depression. Verbally taking advice with colleagues, they have been advising me to take vitamin supplements...

How to deal with anxiety and stress? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm halfway throughout my school year and for the past 1.5 years, I haven't really been feeling like myself. My school offers the IB program, and stupidly I chose not to join it and now it's become the biggest regret I have. I thought everything would still be the same and that I'd still be...

Stress or Anxiety due to work position [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a broker and I used to be on the telephones, however I hated it due to the high stress it entailed so I moved to electronic communication (i.e e-mail). Now because it is getting busy, I will have to get back on the phones at times. I cannot tell you how much anxiety I have when I...

View more questions Search