Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maniac0683 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2016, 05:34 PM
    Contacting employees to work
    Hello all, I'm sorry if I'm not posting this in the correct place... but I need some help.

I have worked part time for a security firm on the side for many years. They work with many different facilities and constantly have open positions. Within the last year, they have started e-mailing for every position open each day. Each open position being it's own e-mail. The e-mails come from a variety of people and sometimes duplicates come through. Since this is my part time job, I asked them to be put on a reduced e-mail list, because sitting in a 30 minute meeting with my boss and receiving 7 e-mails making my phone vibrate is making me look bad.
    Their response was they don't have a reduced e-mail list and suggested me silencing my phone alerts instead of setting them to vibrate. Well, I still need to know when I get e-mail from my MAIN job, so this don't work!

Short of telling them I'm just done working so take me off the list all together, does anyone have an idea for what I can do? Is there anything legally I can do to stop an employer from e-mailing 60+ times in a 5 day period?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 25, 2016, 05:38 PM
    Place them on your blocked e-mail list.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2016, 08:33 PM
    You leave your phone on, and allow any beep or vibration during a meeting, that just makes you look bad, period.
    In meetings with boss, your phone is turned off, or on silent, including vibration.
    That is just standard.

And why are you receiving emails on your phone at work, automatically, stop the automatic updates and make it update only when you open, at only every hour maybe. You are at work, non work emails should not be bothering you at all, at work.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 25, 2016, 08:33 PM
    Nothing legally you can do since you have the option of turning your phone off when it's appropriate to do so, and can screen those emails later. Annoying as that may be, that's the price you pay for wanting to be notified whenever a job comes up.

Duplicate email notifications will drive you nuts for sure, but that's just the nature of the beast. Sorry guy the suggestion to silence your phone when you are meeting with your boss for those 30 minutes is as GOOD as it gets.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 26, 2016, 05:40 AM
    Why not open another e-mail account? There are several plaes where you can get a free account. Then have them switch the e-mail address they have on file to that account and leave that account off your phone.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 26, 2016, 05:40 AM
    From what I can see they aren't the one causing the main issue-email notifications while you are in meetings with your "main job" boss. You are. It is your choice to receive notifications on your cell phone. You have the choice of turning the phone off or completely silencing it.

Do you receive enough emails from your main job to make keeping it on during meetings worth it? Are they so important that you have to interrupt the meeting by responding immediately or can they wait until the meeting is over? 30 minutes, at most, is usually not a long time.

Do the temp job emails have key words you can use to filter them into a folder you do not get notifications about?

Have you thought about creating a new email account for the temp job to use?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 26, 2016, 05:48 AM
    By the way, unless the phone is a company phone, then you are not receiving e-mails at work. It is YOUR choice to receive your personal e-mails on your phone. So the security company is doing nothing wrong.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 26, 2016, 06:07 AM
    I agree with the others... and the solutions they offered. This is a "problem" of your own making. And one that can just as easily be remedied.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where is statute stating employers cannot have employees do illegal work? [ 18 Answers ]

Canadian Labour Law I am looking for a 'quotable' law/statute that states that an employer cannot coerce, imply, demand, request that an employee do work that is contrary to legislated acts (specifically the Income Tax Act). The person I'm asking for has been over a few years 'goaded' into...

Is it legal to change full-time employees into part-time employees? [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to know how legal could be changing emplyees' schedulles without notice them before. I was working 40 hours each week since I started in my present job. They have been decreasing the number of hours for some employees. At this moment I'm working 32 hours each week, with 3 days off....

Employees who work different jobs within a company? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm managing a banquet facility where I have banquet servers and assistants. I am trying to find the most accurate information regarding how to pay the employees and make sure their and our tax documents are in line. Depending upon the size of the event the server(s) will either get a flat rate...

How the upcoming trends affect the quality of work life of employees? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Tell the answer of the question that I have typed above

View more questions Search