Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

May 24, 2016, 08:14 AM
    What is the best way to handle this cash gift ?
    My family sold a property overseas. They decided they want to give me and my siblings a cash gift of about $40K. They also designated me as the person to receive the money and then distribute it equally. Of course, I think the bank will report this money to the IRS once it is wired to my bank account. What is the best way to handle this issue ? I hate to have to pay taxes on the entire amount when I will only keep a small part of it (my share). What steps can I take to protect myself from having to pay more taxes than I have to ? Thanks for your help !
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 24, 2016, 08:18 AM
    To begin with, there are NO transfer taxes in the U.S. and the amount transferred ($40,000) is BELOW the reporting threshold for submission of Form 3520.

Any gift tax reporting is a requirement of the GIVER, NOT the recipient, so you can accept and distribute the money in accordance with the family wishes with no tax reporting or consequence.
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

May 25, 2016, 04:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    To begin with, there are NO transfer taxes in the U.S. and the amount transferred ($40,000) is BELOW the reporting threshold for submission of Form 3520.

Any gift tax reporting is a requirement of the GIVER, NOT the recipient, so you can accept and distribute the money in accordance with the family wishes with no tax reporting or consequence.

Thank you. But don't you think re-gifting this money by me to my siblings is a totally different animal ? I know the gift limit is $14K per year. If I pay more than $14K per year (which I am going to have to do), what kind of taxes we have to pay and who pays it ? For example, If I give $14K to sibling #1 and another $14k to sibling #2... that's a total of $28k way above the $14k threshold. What happens there ?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 25, 2016, 04:50 AM
    The donor can make unlimited gifts per year of 14K as long as each recipient is a different person.
    Senior Tax Expert

May 25, 2016, 08:48 AM
    Joy has it right; the $14K limit is per gift per person.

Assuming at least two siblings, each transfer will be well below the $14K limit.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

May 26, 2016, 01:43 PM
    It is quite unusual for your family to have you distribute the cash to your siblings. Why are they doing this? Having money flow through your account that isn't really yours smells odd. Why didn't your family just transfer the cash to you and your siblings directly?
    Senior Tax Expert

May 27, 2016, 06:27 PM
    I support IntlTax's posts; he has always been nothing but professional, and has OFTEN brought up points that has NOT been considered.

IntlTax, it may be just a simple case of ignorance of U.S. tax law on the part of the family, or maybe just simple laziness. For the amount in question ($40K), I doubt if there is anything shady.
    suntaxfla Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2016, 11:17 AM
    I have had this happen to clients before. Simply redistributing funds, even through your own account, is not in itself a gift -

While there are many definitions of a "gift," the gift tax regulations define it as "any transaction in which an interest in property is gratuitously passed or conferred upon another, regardless of the means or device employed. . ."

And - The tax applies only to a transfer of a beneficial interest in property. Gift tax does not apply to a transfer of bare legal title

However, explaining this to the IRS might be a needless hassle. If the amounts you will have to distribute are more than $14,000 per recipient/per year, in my opinion, it is prudent to avoid the situation you are describing. It looks like in this case the latter is not true so you are fine, but be warned for the future and discuss this with your foreign friends. Perhaps the other contributors might have more to say on this. Hope that helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cash gift vs inheritance [ 3 Answers ]

My father, non-US citizen, non-resident alien, passed away overseas, and had exceeding 15k to give me. Which way is better? - 1) transferring money from his account(overseas) to mom's account (overseas, mom is alive), then from mom's account to my account in USA as a gift; OR transferring from...

Imputing Cash (Gift) Income [ 4 Answers ]

In relation to computing child support, are cash gifts imputed as Gross or Net income? Example: If a parent is receiving $1,000/mo. Cash, is it imputed as $12,000/yr. or more, since a working person would have needed to earn more than $12,000 in order to net $1,000/mo. Also - is it possible...

Tax free cash gift [ 1 Answers ]

My Mom is 87 years old and has some money and lives with my sister. Is she allowed to give a cash gift to her children without future punishment ? Another words, if she eventually goes into a nursing home, will they take that money that was given as a gift ? My sister & I are going to put some of...

Cash gift before death [ 6 Answers ]

What size of a cash gift can an elderly parent leave her adult children without it affecting her tax situation or the adult child's? Is there a limit to the number of these gifts that can be given to the same adult child? Thanks Jo

Cash gift before death [ 2 Answers ]

I was given a cash gift of £6000 3-4 years ago . I opened up an account in my name and have not used the account just in case the elderly aunt that gave me the gift needed it for anything urgent such as an operation.The account has not been touched and still has this amount of money in it.The...

View more questions Search