Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    verbtrans Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2016, 08:23 PM
    How to convert 110vac to 24vdc 40va for an electric heater and control the temp.
    I bought a 24v electric heater that's capable of drawing up to 10a. It's wire in a flat silicone pad. I intend to make a heated mirror with it. I have the mirror, the heater and the adhesive, but don't know how to supply power to it. An inexpensive 24vac 40va adapter heated it to about the right temp and kept it there for 3 or 4 minutes before burning out.

Someone suggested I buy a 110vac to 24v transformer (I assume AC, since I can't find DC), then insert a rheostat upstream to reduce power and control temperature.

Someone else suggested a DC supply, but it wasn't clear whether this was a recommendation or a requirement.

I'd be grateful for any help I can get.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 23, 2016, 05:22 AM
    You said that the adapter was 40 va. Did you mean va (voltage amps)? Voltage Amps is another term for watts. Watts is voltage times amperage. At 24 volas 40 va is only 1.66 amps.
    verbtrans Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2016, 05:33 AM
    Yes, the cheap adapter I tried was 40VA (volt amps), and very insufficient for the heater.
    It burned out (or blew its fuse) within a couple of minutes.

My problem is that I don't know how to keep the heater at a low enough temperature (about 105F) without lowering the amperage. And I'm not sure if I can use AC at all.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 23, 2016, 08:43 AM
    A restive circuit such as a heater shouldn't care whether the voltage is AC or DC. So a transformer from 120V to 24V and a rheostat should work.

without lowering the amperage
    Lowering the amperage (rheostat) is how you control the temperature. In addition to the rheostat you should have some kind of maximum amperage limiting device as a safety device.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 23, 2016, 06:35 PM
    There is no DC transformer, you can't transform DC. All you need is a variable transformer, Variac is a trade name but not cheap. 120VAC to 24 VAC is a very common transformer as it is used in powering your home heaters, AC, thermostats, burglar alarms etc. All you need is one that can handle 10 Amps. BTW, that seems very high amperage. Google 24VAC, 40 VA transformer and there are loads or them online.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert 220 VAC 1Phase to 2-110VAC circuits [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 220VAC single phase 30 amp circuit that I would like to split into two 110VAC circuits. The 220VAC circuit has 3 wires and if I measure across the two main terminals I get the 220VAC and if I measure between a main terminal and what appears to be ground, I get the 110VAC. If I take one of...

Convert 220vac, 2-wire and ground, to 110vac [ 6 Answers ]

Is it possible to convert a 220vac, 10AWG, line with only 2 black hot wires and a bare ground wire to a 110vac line? Can the source at the main junction box, which has a 2-pole CB, be rewired to replace the 2-pole breaker with a 1-pole breaker and grab the neutral at the main box by connecting...

LEVITRON PR180 Photo Electric switches in 2 wire 110VAC outlets? [ 1 Answers ]

I have bought several Levitron PR180 Photo Electric switches and am overseas where 110VAC outlets only have 2 wires (one hot, one ground). Could anyone assist telling me if it will be possible (and how to do it) hooking up these switches to work in the Auto position? Thanks a lot. Clarindo

Can I convert my propane water heater to natural gas or electric? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I convert my LP water heater to natural gas or electric?

By passing control board on electric water heater [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone tell me if I can by pass the control board on my electric Whirpool hot water heater. I have a new C. B. coming Tuesday, but I would like a shower before then. I have the red,black and white wires coming in and there is a blue,orange and yellow going out of the control box to the...

View more questions Search