Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superstar18 Posts: 380, Reputation: 5

May 21, 2016, 03:26 PM
    Job help
    My boss is really stressing me out. I gave in my two week notice because I found another job and now she has me working pretty much everyday. I have no weekends off at all. I also have to work on the day before I start my new job. I'm feeling really drained and my body is hurting really bad. I'm working days and nights everyday for two weeks. My boss asked if I could work on certain days I said yes which I shouldn't have but I didn't realize she was going to have me do so many. I tried asking her if I could have at least one day off this week and she said that I have one day off next week. I have never had this much work with this job since I have stayed here. Each time I would ask for jobs to do she would say sorry we aren't busy, but now all the sudden since I'm leaving she's going to overwork me. I'm not sure how to tell her that I'm not doing so well. I don't want to start my new job all stressed and exhausted. I just feel like quitting now but she has nobody else except one other co worker.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 21, 2016, 03:35 PM
    At this point, what is more important -- your physical health and sanity or your boss's business?

Are you financially able to quit now?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 21, 2016, 07:33 PM
    Work at a speed you can work at without making mistakes. Not try to do 3 times the work in 1/2 the time.

I've learned some hard lessons in the past about burning bridges, because you always want the option of possibly being considered if you even tried to come back in the future. But trying to do more than you can possibly handle isn't doing anyone favors. Besides if done long enough health will suffer, but the quality of your work suffers as well.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 22, 2016, 12:14 AM
    You first must know when to say no.

Also, why not just go to the boss, tell them, you can't handle so many hours, and ask for less.

It is only for 2 week, sorry you just suck it up and do it, if you can't get out of it.

If you just quit, you can end up with a bad reference from work, that you may need later, And it is important to keep good relationships at work.

May 22, 2016, 02:30 PM
    I had to actually call in today because I am not capable of driving at all. She's really pushing me to my limits. I'm going to give it one more day and if I still feel bad I guess I'll just quit. She can't give me a bad reference I have been doing a great job for her and she even admitted that I was doing great and that she appreciates me. But now since I decided to quit she thinks it's OK to push me to where I'm physically ill and mentally. It's not right and she needs to learn how to manage her business better. Everyone quits on her.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 22, 2016, 02:35 PM
    You could always talk to her and explain the days/times that you are able to work over your usual responsibility. Then, if there is an issue, you could end your employment earlier than planned.

Give her the opportunity to modify your schedule, then move forward from there.

Since you have already given notice, and have secured a new job, do her a favor, whenever you do leave, and politely give your reasoning. She may or may not be aware of why she loses employees.

Good luck in your new job!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 22, 2016, 03:38 PM
    You already quit. Do you have any vacation days saved up? If so, book them for the few days before you start your new job so you can get refreshed and ready to take on this new employment.

Long story short, it's not worth stressing yourself over a job you already quit.

May 22, 2016, 05:11 PM
    It's weird you don't get vacation days you have to ask for days off. You guys are right there is no need to stress over this job I need to focus on my career. My boss is just unreasonable she adds jobs in without asking me. She thinks it's OK to double my workload just because I could physically not work today. I want to end on a good note but if I keep asking her for things she's going to get mad. I know I said I could work for days she did ask me for but I didn't know she would add so much.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 23, 2016, 08:37 AM
    What's weird is why you allow your soon to be ex boss to work the crap out of you?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 23, 2016, 08:45 AM
    I would give her a choice: she gets you for the rest of the 2 weeks and let's you work at a reasonable pace, AND shortens it by one day at the end
    -----OR------
    you leave now. Don't worry about your good standing.

When I quit jobs, I didn't give notice, and it never hurt me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between job analysis, job description and job specification? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between job description, job analysis and job specification?

10 diffrences in job descriptions job specifications and job evaluations [ 13 Answers ]

Find the points at least 10 of differences between job description,job specifications,job evaluation

Similarities between job analysis,job description and job specification? [ 2 Answers ]

Similarities between job analysis,job description and job specification?

View more questions Search