Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eun Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2016, 07:05 PM
    Help me solve this(interest rate)
    The table shows detail of the nominal interest rate and the inflation rate for selected countries in July 2010.
    Country nominal interest rate inflation
    China 2.5 2.9
    India 5.7 13.9
    Indonesia 7.0 5.0
    Japan 0.2 –1.1
    Pakistan 12.3 12.7
    What can be concluded from this information?
    A The cost of living was higher in India than in China.
    B The money rate of interest was higher in Indonesia than in Pakistan.
    C The real rate of interest was positive in Japan but negative in Pakistan.
    D The standard of living was higher in Indonesia than in India.

Answer is C, but how?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 21, 2016, 03:59 AM
    The "real rate of interest" is the difference between the nominal interest rate (what you get as return for buying bonds, say) and the rate of inflation. Usually the term used for this is "real rate of return." For example if someone pays you 5% interest for loaning them $100 for a year, but inflation is also 5%, then after one year you get $105 back from your investment but the buying power of that $105 is no greater than the the buying power of $100 was a year ago. Hence the "real" rate of interest is 0%. Here the real rate of interest in Japan is 0.2% - (-1.1%) = 1.3% and for Pakistan was 12.3% - 12.7 %= -0.4%. As for the other answers: interest rates and inflation rates tell you nothing about standard of living or cost of living, and answer B doesn't agree with the data.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The discount rate is the interest rate the fed charges on loans to member banks [ 1 Answers ]

The discount rate is the interest the fed charges on loans to member banks

How to solve for an implicit interest rate for a series of cash flows? [ 3 Answers ]

Someone pays your $8000 for a 2-year structured settlement of $5000 each year for the next year and the year after that. So each cash flow would be (each is 1 year) CF 0 = $8000 CF 1 = -$5000 (negative because you don't get it) CF 2 = -$5000 (negative as well because you don't get it) How...

How do I solve for the interest rate I have price and number of periods [ 2 Answers ]

How do I solve for interest rate? I have the fair market price the number of years and the down payment amount and the amount to be paid semiannually

Nominal Rate of Interest vs Real Interest Rate [ 1 Answers ]

I need to find for the real rate of Interest?? Nominal Rate of Interest 7.4% and Inflations is 4.5% K = k* + I + (k*x I) 7.4 = k* + 4.5% + (k* x 4.5%) I am trying to find for k*:confused: HELP>>>>

View more questions Search