Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluepersonality Posts: 39, Reputation: 3

May 20, 2016, 10:53 AM
    Teen flying for field trip
    Hello, our teenage boy is going to go to the other side of the states with his classmates next month. He'll be flying over. I haven't flown is more than 10 years and don't remember all the rules the airlines have these days. So I am wondering, if you were going to send your kid off like this, what would you pack with them? I would feel much better if he had something for self defense, and was able to take care of himself OK if something happened. We're sending him off with a paypal card instead of cash.
    What items must be packed away, and what can he have in his carry on?
    Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 20, 2016, 10:56 AM
    Aren't there instructions from the adults chaperoning this group?

May 20, 2016, 11:30 AM
    All we received is the packing list and a note reminding us to follow the airlines instructions with a list of different airlines they might be using. They haven't sent information informing us if they are able to pack a suitcase or if they have to have everything in a carryon bag only. So we're assuming suitcase, but are going to be prepared any which way. This is being put on by a company that isn't associated with the school.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 20, 2016, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bluepersonality View Post
    All we received is the packing list and a note reminding us to follow the airlines instructions with a list of different airlines they might be using. They haven't sent information informing us if they are able to pack a suitcase or if they have to have everything in a carryon bag only. So we're assuming suitcase, but are going to be prepared any which way. This is being put on by a company that isn't associated with the school.
    Is there an adult contact to call? This sounds like it's lacking in organization.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 20, 2016, 04:18 PM
    I would contact or Google the airlines. Most rules of what you can and cannot take on board, are the same for each airline, but some airlines do have their own rules.

As for defense, no way to send him with anything he can defend himself with. Even lighters aren't allowed, so any type of weapon will definitely not be allowed, not even pepper spray.

I would send him with a suitcase that will be checked into luggage, and a carry on bag, like a backpack. Send a clean shirt and pants and socks (depending on the length of the flight he may want to change), something to read (no electronics allowed after the flight has taken off), maybe a travel game, a snack (you'd have to check what's allowed), and some cash. Paypal is great, but when it's down, you're screwed, and he'll need a computer or phone to access it, which isn't always easy to do or access in a different place. Travelers cheques would be better imo, but cash is the best. The best place to store cash is in his sock in his shoe, or a belt (they make belts with zipper compartments for cash and credit cards).

How long is he going for? Are meals provided? Will there be an adult staying with them? This sounds a bit scary to me, as a mom. Doesn't sound like it's very well planned out.

May 23, 2016, 01:34 PM
    Thanks for the tips. It's an 4 day educational trip put on through worldstrides. Turns out his mom had some of the needed information.
    I hate to send him without anything for protection, I was hoping something as simple as the brutus keychain at least. Thank you Alty, I don't know anything about paypal, but will be passing that info along to his dad. We had planned on sending him with cash, just didn't want him to have that much on him. He doesn't carry around a wallet, and only ever wears athletic shorts, so either the shoe thing or perhaps that belt you mentioned. 3 teachers are going, I don't know if any parents are, it's about $3000 per person.
    I had no idea electronics weren't allowed after takeoff! I thought they were banned during takeoff & landing. Thank you for that info! I'll pass that on, but you know how exciting books are to teenaged boys, I'm sure he'll be thrilled about that.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2016, 05:00 PM
    The desire to arm your kid for self defense is paranoid and a terrible idea that will get him in trouble. I would do a basic cash card from your bank, linksnto a savings account, that can be used as a credit card instead of paypal. Make sure his phone is charged and he has a charger with him. Otherwise basic toiletries in allowed sizes, packed per airline regulations, clothes (don't overpack - a pair of jeans can be worn a couple times, etc.). Five him a reasonable amount of cash - if he can get more from an ATM during the trip, $60 should be enough.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 24, 2016, 02:09 AM
    You can easily get him a pre-paid Visa card from places like Walmart, that way you don't have to worry about cash or the complexities of PayPal. He shouldn't take anything to "protect" himself that may be considered a weapon of sorts.

Electronics can can be used during the flight, just not during takeoff or landing. Some airlines even support wifi these days.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 24, 2016, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    You can easily get him a pre-paid Visa card from places like Walmart, that way you don't have to worry about cash or the complexities of PayPal. He shouldn't take anything to "protect" himself that may be considered a weapon of sorts.

Electronics can can be used during the flight, just not during takeoff or landing. Some airlines even support wifi these days.
    I didn't know that. I thought that once the plane was ready to take off, and until it landed, no electronics allowed.

Wonder why it's not allowed during take off or landing, but okay during the flight? Not being facetious, just wondering. What is dangerous about electronics during take off and landing that isn't dangerous during the flight?

Oh, and I had to spread the rep.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 24, 2016, 06:54 PM
    My BIL is an airline captain, his airline provides wifi, but he does fly transcontinental.

The takeoff and landing use different gear than while flying. I remember a time when you couldn't use a cell phone in a hospital or people with pacemakers couldn't get near microwaves. Times have changed and electronics have upgraded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To opt for the field which I have exp or to the field which is my actual background [ 0 Answers ]

I am a electronic engineer.Now I am pursuing my MBA in marketing(distance).I had 2 years of exp in telecommunication infrastructure(electrical) as site engg(electrical) with gross salary of 12k/month.Now I have recently changed to Business Development Executive in electronic sales of 10k/month, 3...

To opt for the field which I have exp or to the field which is my actual background [ 0 Answers ]

I am a electronic engineer.Now I am pursuing my MBA in marketing.I had 2 years of exp in telecommunication infrastructure(electrical) as site engg(electrical) with gross salary of 12k/month.Now I have recently changed to Business Development Executive in electronic sales of 10k/month, 3 months back...

80's teen race movie with car under football field [ 4 Answers ]

Can't remember the title. I just remember the kid used to drag race weird charecters and he ends up in a timed challenge to get across town. The only person to ever do it ends up being his principal, and the car he did it in is hidden under the football field.

Can I change my career into IT field, I've DCT quali, but 10 yrs exp in other field. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm into logistics field for 9 yrs. I hv passed 3yrs diploma in computer technology. Now I aspire to change my career into IT field. Can I? If so what course I should persume?

What's the movie where animals go on a field trip and . [ 2 Answers ]

What's the movie where animals go on a field trip and one of the animals didn't say I love you to their mom before they left the forrest... and when they got back from the field trip something happened to the forrest... their was a wreck or something with a 18 wheeler I think and it might have been...

View more questions Search