Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 19, 2016, 04:44 PM
    Capella University,
    I am still here in China, and trying to find a online university for my son, to start taking some classes.

I did a lot with Liberty University, but had so much trouble here with the VPN, because it was a religious based school.

So I am looking for a school that is
    1. online
    2. most likely not Christian based, so it is not blocked by China firewall
    3. of course is Nationally accredited with the US Department of Education, not merely by University claim but actually showing up on their web site.
    4. Has reasonable costs, since my Chinese income is not good compared to US. In China, Nate, my son can not work, since you must be basically be 21 and a college grad to get a job teaching, about the only normal job available.

And 5. the hardest, it must accept student age 17. Most online require age 24 unless you are going to be a transfer student.

This year Nate completed his joint high school/ university program, where he finished his Chinese language program, (writing, reading, speaking and listening)

I have found Capella University
    Online University Accredited Degree Programs - Capella University

The only thing, I can not find really any negative (bad) internet posts on them.
    Even the BBB only had a few complaints in several years and I think all of them were settled to the agreement of the person who complained.

Even Liberty, who I think is one of the best schools, had several pages of complaints if you look enough.

Can anyone find some negative info? Anyone know of bad personal experiences?

And/Or, any information about another school, or ideas.

Nate can of course, since he finished this year at this university, merely attend a University here in China, But after working with my Chinese students, the transfer of credits is tough (they use a different system here) and many classes just don't transfer.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 19, 2016, 04:59 PM
    Can you read the Wikipedia article about Capella? Capella is a for-profit institution, has a high withdrawal rate by bachelor's-level students, has primarily grad students, the average student age is 40, and its marketing budget is relatively high.

What about an online state university or a community college program? College of DuPage in Illinois might be a good possibility.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

May 19, 2016, 05:27 PM
    Can I make a recommendation? Look into Upper Iowa University. My children attended the actual main campus in Iowa, but they have online and international programs. I know they are in Malaysia and Hong Kong. The people in the offices are amazing to deal with. Its online programs get excellent rankings, so hopefully it won't be blocked in China. My kids had no problem with any credits or classes when they earned advanced degrees. My youngest will be a doctor in a very short time, and had an excellent foundation there.
    Expert

May 19, 2016, 08:15 PM
    I will look into them, thanks.

I have tried places like Mo, Ga and Il universities with online programs, but they normally have a 21 to 24 year old min age for online. Or they have issues with home schooled students.
    But will keep looking.

I am still hoping for Liberty, but no word from them yet.
    Education Expert

May 19, 2016, 08:55 PM
    I'm sure you can email them. Something will work out, but I thought throwing another option in might help. They are international, which is helpful in your case.
    Expert

May 20, 2016, 01:18 AM
    I will, of course, I will know in less than one week, If I am moving back to the US, if so, he can just go to the local Jr College there.

But I am keeping all optoins open, since we got turned down to go back to the US last year.
    Education Expert

May 20, 2016, 04:34 AM
    You were turned down? Was this on the part of the U.S.
    Expert

May 20, 2016, 06:25 AM
    Yes, don't get me started.

They will not give my wife a tourist visa, because they are afraid she would not return to China. And we were just going to attend my son's wedding. But they said no.

We tried to get later a immigration visa, but I do not earn enough money, and I earn almost no money in America.
    I have to earn about 125 percent aove poverty level, for three years.

So, without a sponsor, that will sign for my wife, I can not sign for her. Because I do not have American income. (not enough of it)

And then, I turn to my family and friends, that always preach help the immigrants, even the illegal ones. Guess what, they are free to give other peoples tax money. But none of them would sign to let her immigrate.

So our government suggests I move to America for 2 years without... without my wife, make my income and then sponsor her to move, But the signing is to promise she will not get welfare.

If I could get her into the US illegally, she could get welfare and most likely go to university with discounts and more. But legally, it is very hard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Would skinny love or cry from glee be better a capella audition song? [ 0 Answers ]

Hey! I have an a capella audition for an elite choir that is only offering 10 places in the whole school. The audition is on Monday 28th 2012 (so I hope I haven't auditioned by the time you post on this!) and I have a problem:- I have been reading other websites that are saying to choose a song...

Is atlantic International University recogned university [ 9 Answers ]

I' m Tanzanian living in Tanzania I want joining Atlantic International University for B.A education, can their degree acceptable any where?

University of Wisconsin-Madison is it recognised university [ 1 Answers ]

University of Wisconsin-Madison is it recognized university? This is having any recognize for on line education

Kennedy-Western University NOW Warren National University [ 54 Answers ]

Forgive me if this question has already been asked and talked about. I am enrolled with Kennedy-Western, and now have a bad feeling about them. I cannot find where they are an "Accredited" postsecondary school, only licensed in the state of Wyoming. Does anyone know and can prove to me that they...

Is TUI University formerly (Touro University Intl) rec. By US DEPT of ED. [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the military and I was thinking of starting a Master's Degree at TUI University. I just wanted to know if I am wasting my time or is this degree going to be useful in the civilian world. i.e. is it recognized and Accredited by the U.S Dept of Education, like maybe IU, PURDUE Or Notre dame?...

View more questions Search