Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tfish999 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2016, 08:50 AM
    Offer rescinded after GPA drop
    I accepted an internship offer for summer from a tech company when my gpa was above 3.0 (3.0 was the minimum required gpa for job). But after this semester my overall gpa will go down to 2.9. In the offer letter it states the offer is valid only if I maintain 3.0 gpa and I need to submit a transcript at the beginning of work. Will they rescind my offer if they find out my gpa went down below 3.0 this semester?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 19, 2016, 10:23 AM
    They can and they very well might.. it was a condition of the internship.

May 19, 2016, 10:29 AM
    Thank you for the reply. Do you know how strict they are about it? Will it make any difference if I talk to the hiring manager? My overall GPA is 2.98 right now which is only .02 points from the minimum requirement.
    Uber Member

May 19, 2016, 10:34 AM
    That will vary from company to company... some will be more strict than others. I have no way of guessing if this place will or not.

Trying to talk your way out of it might work, or work against you by highlighting the fact you are now below it.

Personally I'd wait to see if they asked you first.

May 19, 2016, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    That will vary from company to company... some will be more strict than others. I have no way of guessing if this place will or not.

Trying to talk your way out of it might work, or work against you by highlighting the fact you are now below it.

Personally I'd wait to see if they asked you first.
    They have asked me to submit a transcript before starting work. Right now my transcript shows overall GPA of 2.98. Do you think I can get away by submitting last semester's transcript when my overall GPA was above 3.0? Do you think it is a good idea? I know it is not the right thing to do but I seem to have no other option.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 19, 2016, 11:03 AM
    That's a lousy idea as you ALWAYS have the option to do the right thing, or the wrong thing regardless of the consequences. Do the right thing, since you AREADY know what the right thing to do is.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 19, 2016, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfish999 View Post
    They have asked me to submit a transcript before starting work. Right now my transcript shows overall GPA of 2.98. Do you think I can get away by submitting last semester's transcript when my overall GPA was above 3.0? Do you think it is a good idea? I know it is not the right thing to do but I seem to have no other option.
    Tal's correct (as always). Besides, they will see that it's last semester and wonder where the current semester's transcript is. Big red flag.
    Uber Member

May 19, 2016, 11:26 AM
    I agree with talaniman, That's a very bad idea. Lie to get a job and you will be fired when its discovered... even years later. They WILL terminate an internship or employment as soon as they find out you lied. Don't think they get this from your school too? Until you have a LOT of real experience...all you have is your reputation Face up to the consequences of not studying harder, but be honest. When you get caught in a lie your reputation gets ruined. Word does get around more than you will believe between employers. Recruiters for different companies do know and talk to each other.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 19, 2016, 11:31 AM
    First, you are asking a question that applies to one company ONLY. How would we know what the odds are that you can talk them into a 2.98?
    Second, you keep looking for run arounds, like handing in last semester's transcript. Um DUH, why would they want your latest one then?
    You are thinking like a 12 year old. Face the truth.
    CONTACT THEM!
    Say something like "I am very very much looking forward to this internship, and sincerely thought my GPA was going to be a solid 3, but it slipped 2 hundredths of a point. I wonder if I can come in and talk with someone about how that happened, and how eager I am to maintain my acceptance."
    They may very well say that there are no exceptions. Then you know, and can start looking elsewhere ASAP.
    It's childish to just fret and wonder how to get around it.

If I were the employer and knew that you talked about handing in an old transcript as your only 'option,' I'd never hire you --- ever.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 19, 2016, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfish999 View Post
    Sorry but you had options. You knew you had to maintain a 3.0 and failed to. Compounding the problem but not complying with the terms of the offer (submitting your current transcript) is sure to cause problems.

Your ONLY option here (assuming you can't do anything to get back the .02 you need) is to go to the hiring manager and explain that your GPA slipped just under their requirements and hope that it won't affect their offer or if there is anything you can do to make it up.If you do anything less it will be found out and will not only affect this internship but your future job searches as well.

You are asking us to tell you what individuals in a specific company will do. There is no way we can do that. We don't know the company or the individuals involved. We don't know how strict that company is. Some companies may use it as only a guideline and cut you some slack over .02. Other companies are more stringent and 3.0 means 3.0. No way we can know which unless we have personal experience with that company.

So your only option, again, is to be honest and discuss this with the hiring manager as soon as your transcript is available.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 19, 2016, 04:19 PM
    If this semester is going to be 2.98, I would show honesty, I would show good employee manners and I would call the person in charge of this, and be honest and tell them, it hit 2.98.

You may well lose it, but then you have learn a lesson, rules are rules and you as a worker are expected to follow them.

If it dropped a lot, over one sememster, that may sadly show, you made little effort that semester which may show bad work habits.

Be honest, trying to trick, would only cause you to look much worst. I would guess, these bosses have seen most tricks in the book, and may appreciate honesty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New position offer rescinded after being let go [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I am new here and I am hoping some of you will be able to help me answer some questions that keep popping into my head. I was recently laid off from my current position after 10+ years with the company due to restructuring. Before being laid off (anticipating changes and department...

Can my offer be rescinded over a job title? [ 3 Answers ]

I had a job that was titled "Project Admin", "Reporting Analyst" or "Supply Chain Information Systems Reporting Expert." In the job, I performed duties that an "IT Auditor" would perform, so after my friend reviewed my resume, he changed the job title to IT Auditor. I ended up not renewing...

BFF rescinded her MOH offer 3 times... [ 15 Answers ]

To get to her wedding, I flew 6000km across the ocean from Europe where I am a very poor grad student and then drove a further 14 hours round trip including a border crossing to get to her wedding. Going to her wedding cost me my only trip home for the next 18 months, and it was a fly in and fly...

1099 misc non employee compensation for rescinded offer [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Tax Experts, I am in a dilemma to decide where to put Non-employee compensation income from 1099 Misc. Here is my information - Indian Citizen on F-1 Visa Graduated in Dec 2008 Had a job offer to join company from Feb 2009 The offer was rescinded in Jan 2009 and the company paid $3000...

View more questions Search