Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sandiecookie1 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2016, 07:12 PM
    Need to remove date stamp
    How do you remove the date stamp from photos on a disk?
    And without destroying the picture in it's self?
    Note... that I have not installed any special photo editing programs, nor do I want to purchase any, but I can use my back Microsoft editing for photos.

Thank you in advance!
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

May 18, 2016, 07:03 AM
    What is your end goal? I am assuming this isn't stripping the date from the image header right? I am assuming that the date stamp is in the actual photo? There are tools in the windows suite of software that you can use. Gimp is a decent opensource photo editing tool that is free, that can help.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 18, 2016, 02:27 PM
    How many pictures are we talking about and is cropping an option ?

May 18, 2016, 06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    How many pictures are we talking about and is cropping an option ?
    A lot of photos. I know I have my work cut out for me, but I can do this with the photos I want to use just at the moment. Cropping would be an issue, because it would take away some content in the photos I think are perfect. While cropping off a part of the picture, it also make the rest of it larger. It would effect the enlargement of photos in content be less sharp from what I have heard. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    What is your end goal? I am assuming this isn't stripping the date from the image header right? I am assuming that the date stamp is in the actual photo? There are tools in the windows suite of software that you can use. Gimp is a decent opensource photo editing tool that is free, that can help.
    My end goal is to publish my photos without the date stamp. Yes, the date stamp is on the actual photos. (I neglected to turn off the date stamp for many years on my camera... never thought I would want to do anything with them.) Does the window suite take off the date without cropping the photo? I am not sure of Gimp. Unless it is a free website, which I really would not want to use at this time, especially till I have all the rights to my photos protected.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

May 19, 2016, 07:32 AM
    Gimp is a free tool. It wouldn't just remove the date.

The problem here is that you have a part of an image that you don't want. There are two ways to get ride of it. Crop the photo as Cdad suggested, or do a manipulation on the photo.

If you're careful, and confident in your skills you can try to remove just the date, but that could be a long process to get the photo looking just right.

In the end this is like trying to photoshop out your Ex from a photo. You can do it, but it just might not look right.
    Internet Research Expert

May 19, 2016, 02:01 PM
    Truthfully if you have a lot of them to do then you might want to consider a professional program to assist you in the process. Depending on what the content is it can range from blatantly simple to nightmarish. Where about in the picture is the date stamp and what type of content does the pictures contain ? That is really what is going to determine what and how things are done. What exactly do you mean by publish your photos? If it is to a blog it may not matter much but if it is intended to go into print or a magazine then you are talking a completely different world.

May 19, 2016, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    Gimp is a free tool. It wouldn't just remove the date.

The problem here is that you have a part of an image that you don't want. There are two ways to get ride of it. Crop the photo as Cdad suggested, or do a manipulation on the photo.

If you're careful, and confident in your skills you can try to remove just the date, but that could be a long process to get the photo looking just right.

In the end this is like trying to photoshop out your Ex from a photo. You can do it, but it just might not look right.
    I appreciate all your hard work in helping me, but cropping most of my photos is not an option to take off the date. A lot are my pictures are perfect as they are and I would not want to change the way the look. I do have a road ahead of myself with organization, but I will get there.

May 19, 2016, 05:35 PM
    Truthfully if you have a lot of them to do then you might want to consider a professional program to assist you in the process. Depending on what the content is it can range from blatantly simple to nightmarish. Where about in the picture is the date stamp and what type of content does the pictures contain ? That is really what is going to determine what and how things are done. What exactly do you mean by publish your photos? If it is to a blog it may not matter much but if it is intended to go into print or a magazine then you are talking a completely different world.
    I wouldn't want to use any other program from any website, nor really any software. Though, the software I might check into. Most of my pictures are of landscape, animals, flowers, etc. The date stamp is in the lower right side, but cropping is an issue, because the pictures I want the date stamp off, are picture perfect. I am not submitting any of my pictures on to any websites. I am keeping my pictures private until sell or display. I want to start first into getting into "New Artist Exhibits" and then later down the line "Print for Greeting Cards". Once you post pictures, someone smarter than someone else, can always find a way of getting them. And I know if you have them copyrighted, your protected, but... I don't want to fight that fight. So, I am not taking any chances.
    Internet Research Expert

May 20, 2016, 01:47 PM
    Can you crop one as an example by cropping it down to a small patch that shows the date with the background in it. Not the entire picture just the date part. Then post it here. That way we can see what your up against. The majority of your picture should be missing so your still protected. Just the date part is all I'm asking to see.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 20, 2016, 04:40 PM
    Is substituting the time stamp for your signature a viable option?

May 22, 2016, 01:24 PM
    Can you crop one as an example by cropping it down to a small patch that shows the date with the background in it. Not the entire picture just the date part. Then post it here. That way we can see what your up against. The majority of your picture should be missing so your still protected. Just the date part is all I'm asking to see.
    I understand what you mean, but I don't really know how to do that. Don't worry about it. I appreciate your help, but I guess I will figure it out. I have to put them on my PC first any way. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Is substituting the time stamp for your signature a viable option?
    Now, that is a pretty good idea!! I might try that instead. As you can from my other answer to cdad, I don't even have these pictures on my PC yet. So I will try both steps "to remove the date" and then if that doesn't work, maybe I can "put my signature over the date". Very good!!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 23, 2016, 05:58 AM
    What brand of scanner/printer do you have?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Worth of 1976 $2 bill from release date April 18, 1976 with postal stamp proof [ 0 Answers ]

I have 2 $2 bills that were gotten the day of the $2 bill release on April 18, 1976. They both have a 13 cent postage stamp and a postal stamp of April 18 1976. One is in perfect condition and the other was folded. What are they worth?

Gold stamp 417 and silver stamp 925 [ 2 Answers ]

On gold, what does the stamp 417 mean and on silver what does a 925 mean?

Order stipulating date to remove belongings [ 8 Answers ]

3 years ago I was granted a PFA (that is still in effect) in the order it was written that my ex was evicted and a date was put in the order for my ex to retrieve personal belongings with the Constable. My ex never came the order states "on x/xx/xxxx date defendant may enter the residence to obtain...

Some of my cervix was remove my due date is jan.4 when should I go on maternity leave [ 1 Answers ]

I had a leap procedure done in 2008 where part of my cervix was removed. And now I am 25 weeks pregnant and I was told that the baby will probably come earlier than my expected jan. 4, 2011 due date because part of my cervix was removed. I wanted to know when will it be best that I go on maternity...

View more questions Search