Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onlymyself Posts: 50, Reputation: 6

May 14, 2016, 09:10 AM
    My mother is controlling my life and relationship
    I am 23 years old and have been with my boyfriend who is 24 for nearly 3 years now. The problem is my controlling mother... she is so obsessed with us not being alone and not having sex before marriage that she is really pissing me off.

I am feeling really trapped and really frustrated now... it has always been this way even when I used to go out with my friends she used to make sure to check up on me and call me and talk to my friends when I have a sleep over to confirm that I am not with some guy. I though that this would stop once I grow up, however, she won't even simply let me have a weekend break in the same country for my birthday! I have a full time job which pays well and hence I do not depend on her for money so I really do not see the problem... I understand that it is her house, however, I feel that I am missing a lot by not being able to have a relaxed weekend away or go abroad until I get married! Me and my boyfriend are looking for an apartment as we are fed up, however, when I mention that in around 4 years time I will move out for sure she starts to freak out and tells me not to dream (while we are planning to move out in a year or two and I was trying to tell her slowly to avoid a lot of panic! ).

I hate a LOT of other things... for instance I have a huge phobia of cockroaches and when I see one in my room I cannot get myself to clean it and she start to shout at me that I am such a baby and useless and she also used to hit me with things when I was young. I feel that she tries to control me too much... I have developed anxiety and I think that it is due to my upbringing with her being this obsessive. I hate to say and do things that would hurt her like go for a weekend away without letting her know beforehand because I believe that she after all wants the best for me (as I do not know what another reason would be... even though she lets my 24 year old brother go on campings and weekend breaks and stuff!) and if I try she would throw a tantrum for sure.

Does anyone has any similar experiences? And how can such issues be dealt with?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 14, 2016, 09:33 AM
    If you don't like the rules, move out. Once you move out she won't be privy to what you are doing every moment of the day or night. Until then, as long as you live under her roof, you are subject to her rules.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 14, 2016, 09:54 AM
    The short simple answer is move out and live your own life. NEVER expect parent not to make rules in their home no matter what age you are, and expecting THEM to change is an exercise in utter futility therefore UNREALISTIC!

If you want her out of your business, then get out of her house. She isn't controlling your life at all, she is RULING her house, which she does have a perfect right to do any way she sees fit.

Been on both sides of this coin, as a child/young independent adult, and as a parent. Yes my kids LEFT when they became INDEPENDENT of us!

So will you, and I doubt if you last another year.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 14, 2016, 10:34 AM
    What others have said seems so obvious to me that I'm really curious: Please tell us why you are still there?
    onlymyself Posts: 50, Reputation: 6

May 14, 2016, 10:42 AM
    I have started to work just one year ago as before I was studying for my degree (which I obtained) and hence I do not have the required savings to be able to loan a large amount of money for an apartment yet... else I would have moved out already.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 14, 2016, 11:51 AM
    So what you do until you can is suck it up and live under her rules. She doesn't HAVE to let you live there at all now that you are an adult. Its a privilege....not a right, many of us couldn't do that because our jobs weren't local when we graduated so we "GASP"..rented an apartment with "GASP" roommates and managed to do it.

Seriously...as someone who has done that because I was hired at a place 4 hour drive from where I grew up....I'm appalled you are whining about the free ride and significant help your mother is providing now that you really have no appreciation for.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 14, 2016, 12:14 PM
    Combined income with your boyfriend after a whole year working while living at home SHOULD be plenty, so I'll bet you are spending too much. Clothes, eating out, movies? NOPE. Not if your mother is really this bad. My mother was worse, and I left without a dime to my name. I had several roommates, a big pain at times, just sharing one bathroom and fridge, and listening to noise at all times. But it was worth it. So you either accept your mother, or you rough it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Possessive mother controlling her grown up sons life. [ 15 Answers ]

My boyfriend is in his early 40's and is still being controlled by his mother/parents in every aspect of his life. She has control over his house, his bank account, his relationship and just about everything else. We have been together for a year but can see no way forward with our relationship as...

Am I too controlling in my relationship? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 20 years and my girlfriend is 18. We've been together for 8 months now and she is the best thing I have in my life. She just moved 4 hours away to go to college. She's allowing me to come and visit every other weekend. While she is there though I asked her to not party at all or to make any...

Possessive, controlling mother - what to do? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a big problem and don't know how to solve it... I'll try to be as short as possible... In August I moved out of my mother's home that she lent me to live in with my 2 kids, one is 14 and the other is 2 in January, I myself am a single parent of 38,so we moved suburbs because my mother was...

My mother is controlling my life [ 8 Answers ]

I have a small problem that I need help with it all started when I entered college I am doing good in school every now and then I have problems but I over come them. Then I meet this girl that I like I never felt like this for any one. The problem starts when my mother thinks that if I get a girl...

Controlling Overbearing Mother [ 3 Answers ]

A friend of mine (seriously it's not me lol) has the most controlling mother ever, she has a set time to be home, a set bedtime where she's actually forced to go to sleep. Her mom calls her about 20 times a day and asks her a million questions and my friend just does everything she says and answers...

View more questions Search