Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superstar18 Posts: 380, Reputation: 5

May 12, 2016, 03:34 PM
    Bf issues
    I'm having a little issue with my boyfriend. So everyday when we hangout he plays this card game called Magic. I tried playing it with him, but I wasn't really into it. I don't mind him playing it, but whenever we hangout that is all he does. We never do anything together all we do is sit in his room and I watch him play his game or I just look up stuff on my phone. I told him how I felt and he just doesn't care. I want to spend time with him and do things together, but then he says I don't have $50 to drop every week. I said it's not about the money it's about finding something that we both can do together. I even brought up that there are free days at the museum and he's like no there isn't, but then when his friend said that there are free days at the meusum he's like yeah we should totally do that. I told him that I don't mind him playing with his friends or going to tournaments, but when I'm with you I want to spend quality time with you. He just doesn't get it and even his brother agreed with me that we both need to find a hobby to do together. I just don't know what to say to him anymore because he doesn't get it and it really doesn't look like he cares about what I'm saying. It's really taking a toll on our relationship and I just want things to be back the way they used to be. Any advice guys? Thanks!
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

May 12, 2016, 03:59 PM
    How long has he been your boy friend and how old are the two of you?
    Do you two do anything together? Maybe he is not as into you as you are in him.

May 12, 2016, 04:05 PM
    I'm 23 and he's 27 and we don't do much at all together. We only go out to eat here and there, but that's about it. Well I think he would have broken up with me if that was the case, but I don't know. He has been my boyfriend for almost two years now.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 12, 2016, 04:14 PM
    Might be time to start spending more time with your friends and family. He doesn't see a need to make any changes because he gets to play and still be with you at the same time.

You've told him how you feel and how you would like some things to be different, but he either isn't truly listening, doesn't care, or isn't taking your thoughts seriously. It's not like you are asking him to stop playing.

If he is interested in spending more time with you, he'll notice when you become busy elsewhere.

May 12, 2016, 04:22 PM
    You're right I am trying to spend more time away from him. These past few days I have been hanging around more with my friends than him and I'm trying to give him more space. He actually said to me that he hopes he can see me soon. I know I am not perfect in this relationship either but I am working on the things he told me that I should work on,but he really doesn't seem like he's trying at all. So hopefully that changes when I do that and if not then I'm not sure what to do. Is it bad for me to say that I love him but I'm not in love with him if you know what I mean by that.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 12, 2016, 04:33 PM
    He's given you a list of things to work on? Does he have a list for himself as well? Was this a mutual thing that the two of you discussed as a means of working together to improve your relationship?

It's not bad at all to love someone but not feel in love. That happens in relationships and people will find those feelings ebb and flow now and then. Sometimes, however, someone may come to realize that while they may love the other person, they no longer have the desire to keep the relationship going, or they learn that the other person doesn't.

Both people have to be in it for the long haul, and understand that they won't always feel romantic love, but a love and commitment that keeps them wanting to keep the relationship going.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 12, 2016, 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by superstar18 View Post
    You're right I am trying to spend more time away from him. These past few days I have been hanging around more with my friends than him and I'm trying to give him more space. He actually said to me that he hopes he can see me soon. I know I am not perfect in this relationship either but I am working on the things he told me that I should work on,but he really doesn't seem like he's trying at all. So hopefully that changes when I do that and if not then I'm not sure what to do. Is it bad for me to say that I love him but I'm not in love with him if you know what I mean by that.
    He told you things he feels you need to work on, but he's not willing to listen to the things you want him to work on?

He's not making any effort. He expects you to, he expects you to change the things he doesn't like, but the things you don't like, he's not willing to change at all.

I'd tell him you want a break, tell him that you don't like sitting around watching him play his game, being ignored, so you want a break to see if this is really something you can live with, or if there's someone better out there, someone willing to give you the time you deserve, someone you have more in common with, and he should do the same.

Take that break to meet new people, hang out with friends, better yourself for your own good, not someone else's. Decide if you want to be with someone that wants you to change and someone you want to change as well. You can't change who someone is, so take a break and decide if you can live with who he is, and if he can live with who you are.

Frankly, him asking you to make changes just shows that you should move on. You wanting to make changes in him, says the same thing. Neither one of you love the other for who and what you both are, so why are you fighting to stay in this?

In my opinion it's time to find someone that likes you for who you are, and someone that you like for who they are. That's not what's going on in this relationship.

May 12, 2016, 05:08 PM
    Not really a list bit he pointed out some things for me that I should work on. Like trying not to be so pushy is something he said. But maybe that would be a good idea for us to do. Maybe we should write a list of stuff that we both could work on to improve the relationship.
    Dating & Teen Expert

May 12, 2016, 05:32 PM
    I think you should take a break from the relationship. You said you are not in love with him, why do you stay?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 12, 2016, 05:50 PM
    Not really a list bit he pointed out some things for me that I should work on. Like trying not to be so pushy is something he said. But maybe that would be a good idea for us to do. Maybe we should write a list of stuff that we both could work on to improve the relationship.
    The problem with that is, you can't change someone's personality, and you shouldn't think you can.

He loves to play his card game, that's a huge part of his life, it means more to him than you do. That's a fact, because he's not willing to let it go for you. You can try to change him, but you won't. He is who he is, you are who you are, and you both deserve to be loved by someone that accepts you for who you are. You both have issues with each other, too many to really fix, and you're not in love with him, so that makes it even harder to justify sticking around and trying to change him.

Better to let him go and find someone that matches you, someone who you don't want to change because you like the way they are.

May 12, 2016, 06:29 PM
    I'm scared because I still have feelings like I do care about him and I don't just want to give up that easy. I want things to go back to the way they were when we first started dating. Now I just think he is too comfortable in the relationship and he probably thinks that he doesn't have to try since he's got me. But maybe a break is for the best or I'll just hangout with my friends more. I honestly really don't care if he still plays it but I just want him to realize that when I'm with him I just want to spend quality time with him. But you all are right I can't change someone who's not willing to.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2016, 06:34 PM
    It is obvious he either has an addiction to the game (common in younger boys) or he really does not care that much about you.

It is obvious the game is more important to him.

Time to talk, he either puts the game away and you start going places, it can be free, like the park and so on, just out looking at the mall. Or it is time to stop going over as much. Be clear, if he plays game, just leave, do it several times, he can chose what he wants.

At 27 he should have his own home, or apartment, have a job and have money to do things, sorry but it just sounds like he is very lazy.

May 12, 2016, 06:51 PM
    He has a job but he still lives at home with his parents. Whenever I try to have a serious talk with him he winds up yelling at me. He does have anger issues once in awhile. I try telling him that we should go to the park or the mall and all he says is that we will or the mall is for teenagers. He says he's going to do things with me but he doesn't act on it. Like he said he would take me to the zoo or go ice skating during the winter time and we have yet to do that. I will start leaving if he starts playing with his game that's a good idea. I did that once but I made an excuse up saying my stomach was hurting.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 12, 2016, 07:03 PM
    You are already getting tired of his crap, and if nothing changes you will be tired enough to do something else without him. It always goes that way.

May 12, 2016, 08:36 PM
    Yes you guys are right I need to have a deep serious talk to him about it and I should tell him that if you really care you would listen to me. I should tell him that if he continues to do this then he cares more for his cards than me. I shouldn't have to deal with this any longer and its gone on for too long. I need to take a stand and do what is right for me. Thank you everyone for your advice it has really made me see that I should do something about this. It's hard for me to say how I feel. I have always been that way and I'm not sure why. I keep my feelings to myself most of the time.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

May 13, 2016, 07:06 AM
    I know the game and played it so many years ago. Haven't bought a card in 12 years though and sold everything off, but I understand the alure of the game.

That being said, and reading through your post I am going to put this as succinct as I can.

Dump him. End the relationship and move on.

He is a man-child and I believe he's your boyfriend just because you're putting up with him. I think you can do way better then him. I know you have feelings but you need to step back and think about where this relationship is going. What are things going to be like in 5 years? 10? What about kids? Marriage? I doubt that you've had these conversations with him or if you had that they went very far. In the end I don't think he has realized how selfish he's being and how close to losing you he is.

What struck me as weird is that he didn't believe you but believed his mate when it came to the free day at the museum. That is troublesome. I think you need to end this because I believe it is stagnant with little chance of improvement.

May 15, 2016, 07:27 PM
    Well I talked to him about this and he said he's willing to change,but saying it is a lot different than actually doing it so I will have to see. If I see no improvement in our relationship I will do something about it. I asked him if I was important in his life because I told him I don't feel like I really am and he said of course I am but we are always fighting and have different views on things. I basically said well if we work on it together than things will get better for the both of us. It does kind of suck though because if I explain this to him in person he gets mad, but if I text him how I feel then he has no problem. I told him that it feels like he doesn't even want to do anything with me and he said that he does like doing things with me and he said sorry for being an and sorry that your bored all the time.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

May 16, 2016, 07:27 AM
    Well I talked to him about this and he said he's willing to change,but saying it is a lot different than actually doing it so I will have to see. If I see no improvement in our relationship I will do something about it. I asked him if I was important in his life because I told him I don't feel like I really am and he said of course I am but we are always fighting and have different views on things. I basically said well if we work on it together than things will get better for the both of us. It does kind of suck though because if I explain this to him in person he gets mad, but if I text him how I feel then he has no problem. I told him that it feels like he doesn't even want to do anything with me and he said that he does like doing things with me and he said sorry for being an and sorry that your bored all the time.
    How many chances are you going to give him? Are you willing to always be second best in his world? He is seeing that he is about to lose you and making overtures to keep you to stay. I don't think he will change, and a few months down the road you'll be in the same situation.

I hope your optimism pays off.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 16, 2016, 08:14 AM
    He has a job but he still lives at home with his parents. Whenever I try to have a serious talk with him he winds up yelling at me. He does have anger issues once in awhile.
    Do you frequently make excuses for him? If he has anger issues, he needs to learn to control them. He shouldn't be taking them out on you. That's on him.

He he still lives at home at 27? What kind of job does he have that he can't afford to live on his own?

Ask yourself where you want to be in 5 years. Answer yourself honestly. Do you want to be married? Do you want to be financially independent? Do you want to live on your own? Do you want to be in a verbally abusive and/or neglectful relationship.

IF you answered those questions honestly, you know what the next step in this relationship is.
    Dating & Teen Expert

May 16, 2016, 09:54 AM
    . I asked him if I was important in his life because I told him I don't feel like I really am and he said of course I am but we are always fighting and have different views on things. .
    Perhaps you two are just not compatible. If you are always fighting and have such different views, what is the point of trying to change for each other. Let him be who he is and you be who you are and find someone you are more compatible with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insecure issues and trust issues [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 20 years old and was touched as a child. My dad wasn't there so I feel like no man will ever love me. I don't really have a hard time find one I just have a hard time keeping one. I feel like I push them away with my trust issues and insert. I want a relationship so bad but I'm not sure if I'm...

Girlfriend trust issues and my own issues. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My girlfriend and I have been dating for nearly a year and she still has some major trust issues and I will admit I still have a very minor lying problem that I admitted to my girlfriend when we first started dating. Not exactly the best combo, but we wanted to date regardless. So as...

I have issues [ 9 Answers ]

Well where do I start, I'm 38 and about 5 months ago I told my wife that things aren't working out and we split up, (no I don't want her back!). Three weeks ago I lost my job, I now have my house up for sale because I can't afford the mortgage, I have my car for sale to try to make ends meet. I...

Errection issues or Attraction issues [ 3 Answers ]

Folks! - I have a problem. I'm 26, my girlfriend is 20 - We both hold eastern values (for the most part) and I've been with her for about 1 year now - we've been having regular sex everyday pretty much for about 8/9 months now - and by regular sex I mean sex every day, sometimes couple of times...

View more questions Search