Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

May 12, 2016, 11:08 AM
    How can I give out my social security number and still be safe ?
    I did a big side job in the technical field to a local company. Before they could issue me a check, they want my social security number. It appears this is a normal practice for companies to do that. But I am thinking they already have my name and address, and giving them my number can lead to abuse and criminal activity. I want to get paid. On the other hand, I do not feel comfortable providing them with my SS number. What should I do?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 12, 2016, 11:16 AM
    They have to report your earnings to Social Security. (Someday when you're old, you'll get a monthly SS check.) It's standard procedure. But don't give your SS# to a phone telemarketer or other cold caller. That's where the danger lies.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

May 12, 2016, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by moonlite View Post
    I did a big side job in the technical field to a local company. Before they could issue me a check, they want my social security number. It appears this is a normal practice for companies to do that. But I am thinking they already have my name and address, and giving them my number can lead to abuse and criminal activity. I want to get paid. On the other hand, I do not feel comfortable providing them with my SS number. What should I do?
    I don't see what the problem is. IF you're doing work with a registered company then they'll need your SS number to complete payroll. It is to make sure you're taxed right and all that.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 12, 2016, 05:27 PM
    The IRS has it, your banks require it, you will not be able to file taxes next year without a 1099. Almost every credit card requires it and I just got a new gas provider and they required it-they supposedly cant see the screen.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 12, 2016, 05:43 PM
    You did work for them, that work becomes an expense. For them to claim that expense on their tax return, they have to file a 1099 with the IRS. To do so they need your SSN or an EIN if you have one. This is absolutely SOP. If you worked for them as a salaried employee you would have to provide your SSN.

Yes, if someone knows your SSN they can use it to steal your identity. So you need to be careful about given the number to someone you don't know. But if you want to get paid you give them the number.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2016, 06:36 PM
    In the US it is the law, not only must you give it, you must show them your card, and other proof of ID, like drivers or state ID.

In fact they should not have allowed you to work one day, without providing it.

No work place will allow you to work without proving full ID and SS number
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

May 14, 2016, 06:50 AM
    Thank you for all the responses. They were much appreciated. I guess I will give it and hope for the best !
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 14, 2016, 07:31 AM
    The only difference between you, and others who share your NAME is your social security number.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 14, 2016, 07:52 AM
    The only issues, as noted, is if this is real job. You actually go into work, they have an office and so on.

Many of the work at home things are scams, you work, and never get paid.

Any place that may hire you, without a SS number are hiring you illegally and they are actually the ones to be more worried about.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 14, 2016, 10:30 AM
    Since this must be your first contract job, I hope you know that you and the IRS will get a 1099, and you must pay self-employment tax on it. It won't be a small amount!
    I hope you charged about 1/3 more than an employee would get. Not getting vacation, holidays, sick time, and 1/2 the SE tax usually are worth that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding social security number [ 4 Answers ]

:)Hello, I need to know what my child's social security number is for taxes. His card was misplaced during a move .

Questions about social security number [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could answer these simple questions, How much does it cost to get a new id, like for example if you lost your id to get a new one do they charge or.. And If someone loses there social security card, and doesn't know there number by heart, how can they renew and...

How safe is your personal information with Social Security? [ 10 Answers ]

How safe is your personal information like phone numbers, address's, Social Security numbers ETC with Social Security? Is this something these people search companies on the internet have access to? This topic might be in the wrong area but I posted it here because chuck & con give the best...

Social Security Number (L1 to H4) [ 0 Answers ]

Need help on the below situation One of my friend had come to US on L1 visa and got social security number during her work. Then she went back to india. Now she is coming back to US but this time on H4 visa. So my question is can she use the same Social Security Number for H4 that she had...

View more questions Search