Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    troublemakerman Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

May 11, 2016, 06:06 AM
    Taking the 5th
    If I committed a crime and I was NOT caught at the scene, but later on arrested. Could I take the 5th and walk away free? Like people do in front of Congress.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 11, 2016, 06:11 AM
    No, it doesn't work like that. This is real life, not the movies. By taking the 5th, you are making yourself appear guilty since you are not defending yourself.
    troublemakerman Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

May 11, 2016, 06:17 AM
    A while back the head of the IRS, didn't she take 5th and is free? Is she guilty or not?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 11, 2016, 06:22 AM
    It's pretty safe to assume you aren't in such a high profile position.

Is she guilty? I don't know, I wasn't on the jury n
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2016, 06:37 AM
    Going free is up to the DA, and testifing in front of congress is not being changed with a crime. Congress has no authoity to charge you or arrest you. Lying to congress is a crime,

You can refuse to answer at anytime, unless it is in front of grand jury and they give you immunity.

But if there is enough evidence against you, they do not even need you to answer.
    A family court, is also not criminal. What you say there, can be used by DA, if they want it.

Often the suspect never admits guilt, (they lie to police which is a crime but normally never addressed) many lie in court but other evidence proves them guilty.

So not making a statement will not set you free, and that is not what is happening in front of congress.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 11, 2016, 07:12 AM
    If I committed a crime and I was NOT caught at the scene, but later on arrested. Could I take the 5th and walk away free? Like people do in front of Congress.

Refusing to answer questions because your answers might tend to incriminate you will not necessarily enable you to "walk away free". The prosecution might be able to still convict you on the basis of other evidence.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 11, 2016, 04:25 PM
    "Taking the fifth" refers to the fifth amendment of the Constitution which gives individuals the right to refuse to answer questions they believe will incriminate them. Usually it is witnesses in a court trial who take the fifth. Defendants either don't take the stand or lie if they do.

In a court trial the prosecutor presents evidence to prove guilt. Rarely does the prosecutor rely on the defendant's testimony to prove their case. I'm not sure what case you are referring to with the head of the IRS, but if she went free it was because the prosecutor was unable to prove their case, not because she took the fifth.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 11, 2016, 04:44 PM
    So you committed the crime? You admit that here?

No, just pleading the 5th doesn't mean you'll walk away free. If they arrested you it's because they have evidence against you. That evidence will speak a lot louder than you ever could.

If they have enough evidence to convict you, they will, and you'll pay the price, be it a fine, jail, or whatever is warranted for the crime you committed.

If it were as simple as pleading the fifth and walking away free, every criminal would do that. They don't need you to admit, or deny, or say anything, in order to convict you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 11, 2016, 05:27 PM
    You can't compare yourself to anyone testifying before a Congressional committee because Congress isn't a court and can't arrest anyone at a hearing.
    Martin Shkreli, for instance, had been arrested and charged by the FBI several months before he took the 5th in front of a committee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 18 year old daughter is taking amoxicillin for strep throat and is on her 5th day [ 2 Answers ]

She seems to be having a reaction of confusion and lethargy and cannot sleep after having slept several days at 14 hour lengths... does she need to discontinue the treatment and how is urgent that she seek treatment?

Why do I run out of hot water taking a bath but not taking a shower [ 30 Answers ]

People in my house can take multiple long showers with no problem and plenty of hot water (I do have flow-restricted shower heads). However, when I try to fill my fairly large bathtub, I get literally 3" of water before the hot water is gone. I have a 55 gallon electric hot water heater & can't...

Pregnant with 5th [ 1 Answers ]

I just found out I'm pregnant. I'm a mother of four. My latest baby just turned a year a week ago. I really want to keep this pregnancy but I am afraid. During my last delivery, I was in labor for approx 4hrs. I had an epidural and received a bag of pitocin before transferring to pp. Exactly...

Eye hurts after taking out and while taking in contacts [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone.my eye hurts after taking out and while taking in the contact lenses.this issue first devoloped 2 months ago.the doctor told me stop wearing the lenses because I had some sort of infection.well now that I tried it back on it still hurts.well so as to say the pain starts almost within...

Plead the 5th [ 6 Answers ]

My attorney sent my soon to be ex-wife attorney a list of questions that he wanted my wife to answer. Our case is scheduled for court in mid October. My wife’s attorney called her into her office and had my wife to answer these questions. My wife chose to plead the 5 th when asked about her drug...

View more questions Search