Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doodle55 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2016, 06:22 AM
    Connecting DVD/VCR to TV
    I went on YOU TUBE to see how to connect my Magnavox MWD2205 DVD/VCR to my
    Samsung UN46EH5000FXZA. I was told by Direct TV that the two were compatible.
    The You Tube person said that I would get far better quality if I hook up RGB cables to the component ports on the VCR/DVD and the TV, also R & W cables to the audio. The confusing part was that he stressed that I should use the "component" ports, but then said that the VCR would not play with this set up, only if 2 cables are hooked up on the VCR portion. He sounded as if I couldn't do both of these at the same time, so that I could do One set up and view VHS or DVD, without having to switch cables. Can you help me with this?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 10, 2016, 06:40 AM
    Okay, we need several items cleared up.

1) Is your TV capable of accepting more than one type of input source? (TV signal- DVD signal- VCR -)

2) Does the TV support HDMI connection ports?

3) Is your TV capable of driving Dolby Digital audio?

Component ports (Red - Green - Blue) they do facilitate the processing of High Definition TV signals. As do HDMI cables which also have the ability to carry Audio signals. RGB cables may a limitation imposed by the Direct TV because their box does not supply HDMI connection ports.

My Direct TV box supplies both High Definition and Dolby Digital signals. However, the Dolby Digital signals use a coaxial cable instead of the monster cable.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 10, 2016, 04:29 PM
    I found your Magnavox and it has very limited outputs. What outputs does the Direct TV box have?

Assuming the Direct TV has HDMI output and a coax output I would Go HDMI from the Direct TV box to the TV and coax from the Direct TV to the VCR, Then Composite from the VCR to the TV. Your TV should have HDMI, coax and composite inputs. You should be able to switch inputs using your remote between the Direct Tv and the VCR. The VCR can then record what the Direct TV box is playing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting Direct TV to DVD/VCR Combo and DVD Recorder [ 25 Answers ]

I use to have a my system set up until family members unplugged everything from my systems. Now I don't remember how I set it up. I had my direct TV hooked up to my dvd recorder and dvd/vcr combo to record movies. I have a sima godvd CT-200 to record dvd movies. I have the red, white, yellow...

Connecting a TV, VCR, DVD [ 2 Answers ]

I need a wiring diagram to connect an antenna, TV, VCR and DVD. I have an RF modulator and a 2 input coaxial TV switch.

Connecting TV with dvd/vcr [ 3 Answers ]

I have an older TV and a new dvd/vcr. I need to connect them to my directv box. I have bought the box for older TV. I need to know what wires connect to what. Thanks Pam

Connecting old TV, vcr, and dvd/vcr combo [ 5 Answers ]

I have an old TV with just a coax connector. I have a Zenith VCR and a Go Video dvd/vcr combo. I currently have them set up with an RF mod. Which lets me use the stand alone vcr and the dvd part of the dvd/vcr combo. However, the way I now have this set up, I cannot use the vcr part of the...

View more questions Search