Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

May 6, 2016, 03:46 PM
    Two Deep Cycle Batteries
    I have had them on a Trickle Charger for 4 years and only used them one time, what are the odds that once they are removed from the charger the batteries will be as good as dead?

12 Volt Full Size Fishing Trolling Batteries
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 6, 2016, 05:01 PM
    They may not be depending on how they were stored. But you should have every once in awhile drained them down and recharged them.

They should still be fine.

May 6, 2016, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    They may not be depending on how they were stored. But you should have every once in awhile drained them down and recharged them.

They should still be fine.
    They have been stored at room temp the whole time. I think it is time for me to bring them upstairs and set up a garbage can full of water and hook them up to a trolling motor. Will let you know what happens. Would you believe I have in the past fished in the boat on average 50 time per year. A lot older and way behind on my fishing.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 7, 2016, 03:45 AM
    Deep Cycle Battery FAQ

I didn't read it. You need to get out more!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 7, 2016, 05:52 AM
    Trickle charger or battery tender? It does matter.

Trickle charger could have slowly cooked them over that time... battery tender would not have.

May 7, 2016, 06:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Trickle charger or battery tender? It does matter.

Trickle charger could have slowly cooked them over that time... battery tender would not have.
    Thanks, I meant to say battery tender, also your point is very important concerning
    the difference.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 7, 2016, 06:55 AM
    Take them to a parts store and have them load test them... they should be fully charged so you shouldn't have to leave them... Should give you a pretty good idea how much capacity they have vs. what they were rated for new.

May 7, 2016, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Deep Cycle Battery FAQ

I didn't read it. You need to get out more!
    You are right. I have done a little shore fishing just not in the boat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does 12v deep cycle battery continuously accept charge [ 1 Answers ]

My 12V deep cycle marine battery continuously keeps accepting maximum charge of 25A from my Smart Charger. I have left it on charge overnight and it still keeps accepting a charge of 25A - The case gets hot and there is a strong odor of fumes. When removing the charger this battery seems to keep...

Inverter and deep cycle battery sizing calculation [ 1 Answers ]

I have a combine load of 1400watts, I want to determine the inverter and deep cycle battery required to carry my load for the period of 10hrs a day.

BEST way to charge deep cycle 12V batteries for longest life? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best method of charging 12V deep cycle marine batteries to prolong life? I have been using a 15 amp on board charger and a 15 amp trickle charge I have used for years on several boats. Now I have run through 7 batteries in a 5 battery system in 4 years and the dealer says my charging...

DC deep cycle battery, AC wattage on inverter etc. [ 17 Answers ]

Hello again. Long time, no speak. I have a buddy that needs to put a battery bank into an old house boat he is fixing up. And I've had a heck of a time finding a calculation that'll allow a person to figure out AC wattage, that'll drain DC deep cycle batteries, with X amp hours. I've found online...

View more questions Search