Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnMcI Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2016, 05:29 AM
    Reasonable Adjustments for Disabled Employees
    A relative of mine is classed as disabled and is having a number of issues with her current employer, a large international bank. They were referred to an occupational health professional who highlighted some recommendations to the company to make reasonable adjustments to their working environment.

This happened roughly twelve months ago and they have indicated that some of the adjustments have not been made, but some have. I have tried researching a time scale for when an organisation should implement these adjustments and can't seem to find any UK case law, I have maybe not looked hard enough. Would a 12 month period be too long in terms of implementation and therefore be unlawful?

I'd very much appreciate some advice on this matter so that I can help my relative.

Thanks in advance.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 5, 2016, 05:49 AM
    A lot depends on whether or not the recommendations were part of a legal order.
    It is almost always difficult to give advice to someone who isn't the person the situation is about.
    I can imagine that there is no country that has laws that state what a reasonable time line is, given the huge range of work any given implementation might require.
    That means a hearing before a disability labor board, or a formal complaint filed.
    Given how long those processes can take, it's possible that the employer is stalling until ordered to comply.
    JohnMcI Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2016, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    A lot depends on whether or not the recommendations were part of a legal order.
    It is almost always difficult to give advice to someone who isn't the person the situation is about.
    I can imagine that there is no country that has laws that state what a reasonable time line is, given the huge range of work any given implementation might require.
    That means a hearing before a disability labor board, or a formal complaint filed.
    Given how long those processes can take, it's possible that the employer is stalling until ordered to comply.
    Thank you joypulv, indeed I appreciate that as I am not the effected person I can not be useful in terms of further information. I see what you are saying though and as I imagine as they might not have been legal requirements and more professional advice, I suppose they may not need to carry out all of the implementations.

I have said to my relative that I would need to see the Occupational Health professionals documents to see what was advised, but that they should really bring this to the attention of there HR department firstly.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2016, 08:13 AM
    Just because they were recommended, does not mean that the company will view them as reasonable. Reasonable is not a "for sure" issue. The cost of the changes, how it will affect other workers or customers all have to be considered.

I have seen many places merely refuse some changes, because the company feels they are not reasonable.
    The employee may have to sue in court to get those changes court ordered.

Also it is not the Occupational professional that determines if it is reasonable, they only make the recommendations medically needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it legal to change full-time employees into part-time employees? [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to know how legal could be changing emplyees' schedulles without notice them before. I was working 40 hours each week since I started in my present job. They have been decreasing the number of hours for some employees. At this moment I'm working 32 hours each week, with 3 days off....

Employees ganging up on other employees [ 1 Answers ]

I am an owner of a small hotel, I have been informed today that the housekeeping staff are planning to 'make' the new front of house person leave because they don't like her pointing out things that they are not doing, which they are supposed to be doing. How do I deal with it? If this does...

What's reasonable of me? [ 11 Answers ]

Hey, just a quick question about what is reasonable. I have been with my boyfriend for 3 years, and we live together, and were very happy. (im 21, he's 23) Recently he found some old girlfriend of his on Facebook that was a sort of childhood love left openended. (he was about 12, so nothing...

Is this reasonable [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend who is graduating with industrial engineering degree and will work for this fortune 500 firm as a Quality Engineer? Do you think $50,000/ yr is a reasonal salary to her? She has to travel interntionally 50% of the time. Thanks,

"reasonable times upon reasonable notice" [ 2 Answers ]

My son will be 9 in about 2 1/2 weeks. His father has had absolutely no contact with him since July 1, 2006. He lives about 10 min away and just hasn't bothered calling in this time. BF and his wife can't even keep a phone so I have no idea what their phone number is anymore (or if they even have...

View more questions Search