Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AnaBrabo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2016, 05:03 PM
    Can both ovaries release?
    My boyfriend is in college, & doesn't believe it's possible for healthy ovaries to both release a egg for the same ovulation day. I explained this thing can happen resulting in fraternal twins.. But he will only believe a professional. Can you help?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 4, 2016, 05:15 PM
    Fraternal twins are created when a woman releases 2 eggs and both are fertilized. Identical twins, on the other hand, happen when one egg is fertilized and it splits.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 4, 2016, 06:04 PM
    Yes it's possible, or we wouldn't have multiple non-identical births, and it's all healthy. We are born with around 5 million eggs. By our teens, we have 200,000 or 300,000 left, with many dying as we age. The ones left lie dormant within the ovaries. At the beginning of each menstrual cycle, the pituitary gland sends FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) to stimulate a small number of eggs (not just one!) in the ovaries to start maturing in a tiny capsule of fluid called a follicle. After two or three days one of these follicles is 'selected' by physiological processes to be the one that will ovulate. The other eggs which had started maturing will spontaneously regress. But the egg has to travel, so there's no way to know the exact moment that a follicle will meet a sperm after it is formed and released, and occasionally more than one will ovulate, from each ovary or both. Nature loves to make babies, but she isn't always exact and consistent.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 4, 2016, 06:35 PM
    Want to surprise him even more? Not only can both ovaries release an egg at the same time, you could have two eggs release and become fertilised, then one splits. Now you have triplets... two identical, one fraternal.

You could have two eggs released, the woman has two different encounters close together, and the eggs can be fertlized by different fathers.

Even more unusual would be a second cycle occurring within a few weeks after the first and both resulting in a pregnancy. Now you have two babies developing at different stages who are not actually twins.

Amazing bodies, eh?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ovaries [ 0 Answers ]

After intercourse my ovaries feel like they are on fire, this lasts about 3-5 minutes and helps when I put pressure on them. This has happened twice in the last couple weeks. What could this be?

Ovaries [ 1 Answers ]

If my wife ovaries is removed will it have a affect on our sex life and in foreplay will wetness still present and have nomally

How do you write a letter to a judge for early release from a work- release -program [ 3 Answers ]

Could you please help me in writing a letter to a judge for early release from a work release program

How do you write a letter for early release from work release program [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to compose a letter for a friend that has been in a work release program since July and he wants to try for early release in order to help his mom who lost her husband a couple of days prior to his incarceration.

Release to another state from Iowa work release [ 5 Answers ]

My dad put in a transfer to Florida as he is in Iowa work release about a month ago, how long should it take? I can't wait to see him... They said Des Moines already approved it... Please help Sheena:confused:

View more questions Search