Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saulherman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 09:54 PM
    Theft Under 5000
    I will keep this short and simple.

Earliar in March I was charged with theft under 5000.

I just received a letter from a company asking me for $500 in damaged incurred do to their loss. Now the letter is obviously just a mass printed letter with my name intserted.

What should I do? Should I pay the 500 dollars and move on. Or should I ignore it and let them take me to court. I think it's a ridiculous amount considering they got all of the merchandince back. It seems like the store is not stealing from me.

Does anyone also know the legal precedent on cases like this??
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 10:01 PM
    It probably covers any costs they accrued... seems logical to me after stealing from them, and its far better than jail... or probation
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 14, 2007, 07:21 AM
    I will assume this is in Canada? While not a expert on their laws, I have seen on here 100's of time where this is standard for them to demand civil settlement and they normally get it. And thus the form letters since they do this on everyone that steals from them.

Perhaps pay it and use this as a lesson learned to leave this life of crime behind
    saulherman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 09:11 AM
    It just seems that $500 for nothing really they got everything back it just seems kind of ridiculous if you ask me

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft Under 5000 [ 7 Answers ]

My son was arrested for stealing cigarettes from a store he worked in. The cops came into his apartment and searched his place with no search warrant and then arrested him. He is 18 years old and we live in Canada. What should I do? Hire a lawyer? Could he get jail for this? Yes, it was a moment...

B.C. Theft Under 5000$ help [ 7 Answers ]

Well.. Im 15, and I live in British Columbia, and I was in a local store with my friend... I knew he was going to steal something because he told me... Anyway someone from the staff told on him to the manager when I was hanging out with him. And now IM facing having to go to court to... ...

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

Theft Under 5000 [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, so basically I was charged for theft under in December of 2006, and I'm 18 years of age. I gave back some of the things I've taken, but not some others.. anyway, I went to take fingerprints and all that good stuff, and then I got a letter in the mail saying I don't have to go to court, that...

Theft under 5000 [ 6 Answers ]

I was charged of theft under 5000 from 24 hor store I live in canada on I went to the store I fild the cart With so many in may head I just head to the door I honstly was not thinking with any thing but troubles and problems I have in my life As I was loading the car Security came around...

View more questions Search