Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hazeleyes1991 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2016, 03:07 PM
    Can a person obtain a imei number from an IP address
    I was having conversation with a friend and she thinks you can obtain a imei number from a IP address but I don't know how true that is
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 4, 2016, 04:26 PM
    You friend is wrong.

IP address itself is just an IP... it can be and is assigned to anything irrespective of what it is. It has no other information coded into it. Doesn't matter if it's a super computer, a web enabled toaster, or your wifi hotspot in your car. Its assigned by the internet provider, or managed locally as part of a subnet.

And except in rare situations that number will be dynamic and change from time to time.(because literally there are more devices than numbers available under the current IPv4 numbering scheme..unless you pay extra for the privilege of having a static IP that doesn't change.

Now in the case of a Cell phone...your IP can be traced to a specific user at a specific time, your provider ALWAYS has that information...and THEY will know what that information is....but Joe Average can not simply get it from the IP. It would take a court issued subpoena for your Cell phone carrier to release that information to a third party.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is an imei number required for unlocking a motorola w375 locked to virgin? [ 0 Answers ]

What is an imei numberthat is required for unlocking a motorola w375 locked to virgin?

Address of who owns this property and what is her address and phone number [ 5 Answers ]

The property address is 2208 norton st rochester ny

How can I obtain police reports for a specific address from another state? [ 4 Answers ]

Any information that anyone could give me at this point would be helpful and very appreciated. I would like to obtain police and complaint reports from Maryland. In 2006, I was involved in a domestic abuse report along with my mother in law. I would like to know how I can obtain that report as...

Need to obtain IP address from myspace messages [ 4 Answers ]

I pray to god that someone can help me with this one. Long story short: I had to put a restraining order on my boyfriend's ex. She was stalking us and threatened me several times with a gun. She sent me numerous messages on myspace telling me she was going to kill us, etc. she has also driven...

How to obtain MAC address? [ 5 Answers ]

Steps on obtaining MAC address.

View more questions Search