Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robertsqueen Posts: 376, Reputation: 43

Apr 13, 2007, 09:13 PM
    I'm appalled at young people doing sexual acts
    I have been reading and reponding to posts for a while now. I am so shocked at how many teenagers there are that are asking about sex, or asking if they should "do it." I wasn't aware that sex was that big of a deal in teenagers today? I am also shocked that they just don't seem to care about the consequences that sexual acts bring. Am I just out of the loop here or what? What do you all think of all of this teen sex taking place?:mad:
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 09:38 PM
    It does seem to be getting younger and younger. I didn't start experimenting until I was 18 and out of high school... my 12 year old nephew sometimes makes remarks where I am like"where did you learn that?!?!?"

Apr 13, 2007, 09:41 PM
    Yeah I can't believe it. This is crazy.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 09:43 PM
    What I really want to know is how the parents don't know anything? I mean my son is only 3, but I would think that I would raise him better, or at least educate him better so he is intellegent about this stuff when it comes time... am I just living in a dream land?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 14, 2007, 07:41 AM
    Once kids go to school they are out of parental guidance and talk about a lot of stuff we didn't back in the day. Your right, where are the parents?

Apr 14, 2007, 07:44 AM
    I agree that parents need to step in. Some parents figure that once they are at school they will learn from the teachers. I feel that's it the parents responsibility to talk about sex and the consequence with the children. I get so angry when I hear of a thirteen year old getting pregnant, or someome wanting to have sex just beucase they want to. IT DISGUSTS ME to no end.
    sypher373 Posts: 360, Reputation: 38

Apr 14, 2007, 10:05 AM
    To be honest, once the kids are at school and surrounded by friends 5 of 7 days a week, I'm not sure the parents would have much influence anyway. Id be willing to bet the kids would dismiss what their parents say in exchange for what they hear in school.

Seems to me that's the perfect age for kids to rebel against their parents anyway... I think it has more to do with soceity today than anything else.
    MadamButterfly Posts: 54, Reputation: 12

Apr 14, 2007, 10:26 AM
    I would have to say that it's a bit of both, parents and society. However, more than not, the responsibility is on the parents, much like the obesity epidemic. Yes, one can argue that the child is "out of parental guidance" once at school. However, the parents always have the option to home-school a child, or join an Independent Study group, not to mention private, charter, and alternative schools.

Parents can also choose if they want to have a TV, and if they do have one, they can keep it in their room, rather than in the living room (or god forbid, the kitchen). Children, and teenagers, seem to be completely disillusioned by the "MTV culture". Young girls, who have yet to hit puberty, are walking around in string bikinis. Its not their friends, and its not just TV commercials or barbie dolls. Their parents are largely at fault.

However, children will eventually become teenagers, and at that point they are well beyond parental influence. Yet if their parents had talked to them about safe sex, STDs, pregnancy, etc. then, if they did choose to have sex (which more often then not, they do) at least they will be informed and will have less chances of getting pregnant, or getting someone else pregnant. It is human nature to experiment, and that urge has been driven and pushed by subculture and mass media. So it is the parent's responsibility to give their child knowledge and a set of values and personal morals. Just like with obesity. America is a nation founded upon capitalism, of wanting more, of wanting bigger and better things. Bigger hamburgers, larger portions and drinks. However, if the parents have taught their children the importance of eating healthy, of maintaining your wellbeing... if parents have taught by example rather than just by words, than the children will not go and eat fast food every night. And, even though we are a nation of junk food and processed meats, at least they will be wise enough to know better.
    louie1 Posts: 183, Reputation: 49

Apr 14, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Sadly robertsqueen you are right - it appears to be the way of the world and teenagers not all I hasten to add seem to fall into the trap without taking into account the responsibilities that go with it. Let us be grateful that some of them come on to sites like this which means that they are at least seeking advice of which some of them hopefully heed!

I for one am dreading the day I find out that my children have succumbed to this and I can only prepare them and pray that they choose to wait at least until it is legal!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 14, 2007, 10:41 AM
    In today's society with both parents working and often 10 year olds coming home after school by thierself and our culture in doing what feel goods, "i have my rights" "it is my body to do what I want" "so you get pregnant, get a abortion or use a morning after pill.

And of course for the girls it is normally order boys who are just wanting to "score" with a girl and the girl is confused by the attention.

But it is not uncommom at all any longer for 12 year old girls to be sexually active.

Apr 14, 2007, 11:00 AM
    I know and that is what scares me about raising a child!
    sypher373 Posts: 360, Reputation: 38

Apr 14, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Now I don't have kids, and am still quite young, but it seems there's a fine line in this as well.

You have to be certain that your message gets across and that your kids understand the dangers and risks, and be certain that they understand the seriousness of this.

On the otherhand, is it not human nature to do things and want things which we are not allowed to have and/or do? I guess its all in the presentation. Let them know how dangerous it is, but don't ever tell them they can't/shouldn't do it?

Glad I'm not a parent :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Guy acts different after 2nd date [ 12 Answers ]

Well, I'm a girl... and I really really really like this guy. He asked me on 2 dates... and the 2nd, he cuddled and held hands for about 2 hours straight... but ever since then, he's been acting differently. He calls me, but only talks for about 5 minutes, and when I call him he always says he'll...

Acts 7:59 [ 32 Answers ]

:) Hello Everyone, Acts 7:59 says: “They went on casting stones at Stephen as he made appeal and said: ‘Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.’” Those words have raised questions in the mind of some, since the Bible says that Jehovah is the “Hearer of Prayer.” Psalm 65:2 Did Stephen really pray to...

Acts.. [ 2 Answers ]

The ____ restricts the collection of data by federally funded schools. a.Tax Reform Act of 1979 b.Educational Privacy Act of 2003 c.USA PATRIOT Act of 2002 d.Computer Matching and Privacy Act of 1988 I can't find it on Google that's why I am here...

View more questions Search