Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanPatrick10 Posts: 134, Reputation: 5

May 2, 2016, 06:51 PM
    Used Vehicle Purchase 2000 or Older from CT to RI
    Before I go into details with my question, is anyone here familiar with DMV laws in RI and CT?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 3, 2016, 07:27 AM
    I'm not. And it's doubtful that anyone would be, unless he or she worked for the DMV. That's what research is all about.

I suggest that you ask your question and we may be able to at least point you in the right direction.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 3, 2016, 10:36 AM
    First, Most of us who answer legal questions are good at research so we may not need to know the specific laws.

Second, Vehicle purchases are not governed by DMV laws. DMV laws only cover the registration of vehicles. Laws about sales are covered under contract law, or, in the case of automobiles, maybe Lemon Laws.

Bottom line, ask your question, it takes only a few minutes to type it in. And see if anyone can help.

May 3, 2016, 09:11 PM
    Ok, so here's the deal. I live in RI, and I'm looking at buying a classic car in CT. I ran the autocheck, it's clean. No fire, theft, or flood reported. I've met the owner and made a visual inspection of the the car in person. It checked out OK. I know the type of car it is, and what to look for when buying one of them. Making a purchase on the vehicle isn't a problem.

In RI, to register a vehicle that's from out of state and model year 2000 or older, you need the title (signed over to you by the previous owner). You also need the registration. If you don't have the title, the registration alone will be adequate. A copy of the previous owner's registration is also acceptable.

However, the current owner does not have the title because in CT, vehicles with a model year over 20 years prior to the current year are non-titled and not required. Therefore, he never got the title from the gentleman he purchased the car from because it wasn't necessary. For whatever reason, he also decided not to register the vehicle. He's had the car for two years. In addition, the old guy he bought it from passed away in April 2015. So as you can see, registering the car is going to be a bit of a problem without these documents. I know the people at the local DMV, and they are very rigid and inflexible. They will give me a hard time if I walk into the DMV with just the bill of sale, and they will surely tell me to come back when I have the title or proof of registration. I know they want to make sure the car isn't stolen, but they've made it a lot tougher to register old, or out of state vehicles in recent years.

I'd really like to get the car. This particular one doesn't sell often in the condition it is in. What are my options here for getting the car registered? I feel like I may have reached a dead end because of proof of ownership technicalities.

Cheers

May 4, 2016, 05:01 AM
    Ok, From this site: Rhode Island Car Registration Requirements & Steps | DMV.org
    Registering a Vehicle in Rhode Island

There are different requirements and processes for vehicle registration based on whether you purchased your vehicle from a dealer or it was purchased/gifted from a private individual.
    Vehicles Purchased from a Private Party
    Bring to your local Rhode Island DMV office:

• A completed Application for Registration and Certificate of Title (Form TR-1).
    • Proof of auto insurance.
    • A completed Use Tax form (Form T-334-2).
    • The car's signed-over title.
    • A Bill of Sale.
      • The title or bill of sale should list the vehicle's gross vehicle weight.

• A Rhode Island driver's license or ID card.
    • Proof of previous owner, if applicable (for non-title vehicles only).
      • All owners listed on title must be present when registering. If not, the absent parties must be notarized on the registration application.

• Proof of a vehicle identification number (VIN) check.
      • This only applies to vehicles that are 2001 or newer. For VIN check locations, contact your local police department.

• Payment for RI vehicle registration fees, which also includes sales tax (see “Vehicle Registration Fees" below).

The site doesn't say if you need ALL of these or some of them. So your best bet is to go to the local DMV and speak to a supervisor and ask what additional proofs you can bring (affidavits from the owner?) that would allow them to register it.
    Expert

May 4, 2016, 05:21 AM
    I have reviewed ScottGem's answer; it is very thorough and appears to be a good solution. Apparently a bill of sale will be sufficient. Alternatively, I was going to suggest, OP could first register the vehicle in Connecticut (in behalf of the current owner) and then re-register it in Rhode Island.

May 4, 2016, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    OP could first register the vehicle in Connecticut (in behalf of the current owner) and then re-register it in Rhode Island.
    That's a good idea!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 4, 2016, 09:38 AM
    Seller might expect you to pay his costs on that... but in the trouble savings would be more than worth what it cost. Aggravation and time wasted on repeat trips to the DMV does have a monetary value to you if they can be reduced or eliminated.

May 4, 2016, 04:12 PM
    If by OP you mean another person, I was thinking the same thing. The car could be gifted to his wife for example, or a close friend. Then I could register the car in RI with the proof of ownership.

However, the CT DMV laws state that. "any vehicle exempt from the sales tax cannot be transferred if delinquent tax is owed on the vehicle. If the registration is suspended, the registration cannot be transferred to an immediate family member." I believe being liable for the taxes from not registering the car for two years is something the current owner is worried about.

No sales and use tax is due on a vehicle or vessel received as a gift.

A Motor Vehicle or Vessel Gift Declaration AU-463 is required, signed by the donor. The donor cannot receive any consideration (cash, property, service, assumption of debt, etc.) in return.

Please be aware that a donor who gives a motor vehicle or vessel may be subject to the Connecticut Gift Tax. Generally, the gift tax is imposed on the transfer of property by gift during each calendar year. The tax is measured by taxable gifts, as defined for federal gift tax purposes. For more information on tax exemption, please contact the Department of Revenue Services .

Any vehicle exempt from the sales tax can not be transferred if delinquent tax is owed on the vehicle. If the registration is suspended, the vehicle can not be transferred to an immediate family member.

I will follow through with Scott's advice and pay a visit to DMV headquarters to ask what additional proofs I can bring that would allow me to register the vehicle.
    Uber Member

May 4, 2016, 04:21 PM
    OP in internet and forum usage means Original Poster... in this case... you.

May 4, 2016, 04:28 PM
    Ah, OK. :) Thank you. I don't believe I can do that though because I'd have to be able to prove I'm a resident of CT which I am not.
    Uber Member

May 4, 2016, 04:42 PM
    What they meant is the person selling it in CT.. Registers it in CT first... then you buy it from them and take the current CT registration to RI. Saving a LOT of grief on the paper trail end to get registered.

Buying something with a lapsed registration meaning from someone who its not currently titled to carries all sorts of risks for you. If it was part of a contested estate....was stolen via deception or fraud...they might not legally be in a position to convey title to something that's not actually in their own name.

Thats not such a stretch...happens fairly often. They would have to offer a significant discount....enough that the question comes up....why don't they just clear it up so they can get full market value?

Someone could end up knocking on your door 2 years from now..or next month...claiming thats mine..I want it back...and if they can prove it was theirs and taken illegally...you would have to give it back and be out everything you spent on it.

There have been cases the last few years where cars stolen DECADES ago that were somehow registered and sold and resold several times...being discovered and having to be returned to the original owner.

I passed up on a chance at a C3 Corvette for a great price a few years back...because the tittle was never transfered into the name of the person selling it.

But then I am in one of those TITLE required states....
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 4, 2016, 06:34 PM
    Something doesn't sound right. I'm in CT. I bought a 57 Chevy 4 years ago, and had to have a title and get a title. (But I drove it around with the previous owner's expired plates, and then gave it to my nephews, just because CT doesn't allow an antique plate until the car has been first registered as a regular car.)

May 4, 2016, 06:55 PM
    There's always a possibility the car could be stolen, especially when dealing with an old car. However, I ran the VIN# with Autocheck and it came back clean. I've done about 30 VIN checks on these cars. When there's a problem with the title it will show up on the Autocheck. I ran the Autocheck on two similar vehicles and one of them came back with a lien on the title. The guy never signed the duplicate title release at the bank so he didn't have the right to sell the car. Suffice it to say, I didn't buy it.

Like you, I have heard of those stolen car cases. That sounds like a nightmare. Don't worry I will be careful about this. I just don't want to lose a chance at getting really nice car. Because of the type of car it is, chances of it being stolen are low. Most car thieves go for Honda Civics, Toyota Corollas, Dodge Chargers etc, etc. If the car were stolen, I don't think he'd have it sitting out on his front lawn like when I went to go see it in person. I don't think the seller has anything to hide. He even suggested having the VIN check done (only needed if 2001 or newer) by my local PD. If there were something fishy going on, I don't think he'd want the police involved in any way. I'm still going speak to everyone I can about this and get as much information as possible.

If the seller doesn't have a problem with it, I might be able to have him fill out an Application for Replacement Certificate of Title and Ownership Transfer in Absence of Title H-6B. I would also have to include my information on the document as the buyer.http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/h-6b.pdfhttp://

May 5, 2016, 10:01 AM
    I contacted the RI DMV. The owner is going to have to register the car, pay the sales tax and pay any delinquent property taxes. There's no other way around it. They are very strict in RI when it comes to registering vehicles.
    Uber Member

May 5, 2016, 11:01 AM
    OK.. you got your answers for that.

One of the situations I mention as Stolen... isn't what someone typically thinks of when stolen is mentioned...

Family member, roommate, close friend, cohabitating love buddy, etc dies goes to jail or skips town, someone feels entitled to something before probate of the rightful heirs get the ball rolling.. finds the title in the deceased persons paperwork... forges a signature and gets rid of the car and pockets the money... later on someone finds out, hey, were did their car go... reports get made etc... balls get dropped etc...

Somewhere down the road someone makes a big deal of it...

I personally knew of a case where a vehicle was sold by a live-in lovebuddy of a deceased person as soon as they found out they got nothing in the will... paperwork was backdated to look like it happened before they died.

Knew of a few others too....it happens way too often.
    Expert

May 6, 2016, 06:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPatrick10 View Post
    I contacted the RI DMV. The owner is going to have to register the car, pay the sales tax and pay any delinquent property taxes. There's no other way around it. They are very strict in RI when it comes to registering vehicles.
    The owner will have to register it in Connecticut, I assume (that being owner's place of residence)?
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

May 6, 2016, 04:00 PM
    Very true, most states don't want to miss out on getting some tax money even if it has to be registered several times in several states. You have to jump through the hoops.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 7, 2016, 04:03 AM
    I lived in MA for most of my adult life. RI was known as the stolen car chop shop and MA as the source of stolen cars.
    CT registration is expensive. PLUS, CT is having a terrible time with new software at the DMV, and it's been going on for almost a year. People's cars getting towed and charged with crimes they didn't commit. 6 month waits for some things. Cronyism at it's worst. Bozos who know nothing trying to hire software companies who know nothing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting for a purchase of vehicle [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, If I'm purchasing vehicles for business, do I include the tax/title charges and the paint jobs for the business logos into the same entry as cost of vehicle? Example: Truck 50 Tax/title 10 Alterations for business purpose 20 What would be the entries?

Vehicle Purchase [ 1 Answers ]

How do I account for the purchase and financing of a vehicle over five years

Record a vehicle purchase [ 1 Answers ]

I want to record a spare vehicle purchase into the computer program and record the GST purchased on the vehicle. If I set up an Asset account for the spare vehicle what is the correct JE to make to have this on the books?

View more questions Search