Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DNeonassi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2016, 08:15 PM
    Mental Health Issues and being arrested?
    I will try to make it as short, yet detailed, as possible.
    My nephew had some legal problems and police want to speak with him, arrest/charge him. It's nothing major, couple of counts of theft/fraud under $5000.00

He's been depressed lately, probably because of this issue, as well as because of some family problems (with his girlfriend and mother of his child). Depressed as in talked about suicide, planned it, even disappeared for a few days and told a few of family members he'll do it (sent us pictures of how he plans to do it).

What can we do to help him? I'm worried if he goes to police he'll be detained without them giving him any help for his mental health issues. What if he commits himself for mental health issues, or if he goes to the police, turns himself in and tells them about this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 1, 2016, 02:09 AM
    First a couple counts of under 5000 is not going to be jail time.
    Next if the US, each state has its own rules on mental health. But in general minor or even major depression is not going to be enough to effect court.
    It may be considered for sentencing.

The best they can do, is turn yourself in and get probation and fines, Then also, at the same time, start getting counseling.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 1, 2016, 02:32 AM
    "Helping" a young, irresponsible adult is a double edged sword.
    Letting family know he's depressed and suicidal is a good sign of wanting help. Disappearing and sending pictures of suicide plans is pure manipulation, an extension of his entitled life.
    Let him know that you are there for him whether he talks to the police or checks in to a hospital, but that he's an adult, and you are not there to make his decisions. Since it sounds like he doesn't have insurance, the hospital isn't going to keep him long, but they will set him up with outpatient counselling.
    He should do that first, but whatever he does, hope he realizes he should do it sooner rather than later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dating while dealing with mental health issues? [ 4 Answers ]

I am currently a 3rd year student in college and so is my "boyfriend". We started dating a year ago but broke up abuot 6 months ago, because we were having problems. Although we both agreed that we needed to take a break and be single for a while, that never happened. We've continued to be friends...

Unsure of mental health issues [ 5 Answers ]

I have had a lot going on in my life especially in the past year for e.g. wasn't with my partner when I was preganant he was with some one else engaged so I moved away before I knew back to a place with familly that I didn't want to be. I have had on going stress through out my life but I think...

Religion and mental health issues [ 2 Answers ]

Could someone help please, I have known my neighbour for a couple of years, she lives on her own and has no one, her family has disowned her, she is classed as a nutcase and does very strange things like call on complete strangers asking for compassion and telling everyone that God is punishing her...

View more questions Search