Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bsjones0603 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2016, 07:22 PM
    Switch Wiring
    The power comes into the switch. What I am trying to do is wire one single pole switch in one box and then use the same power source to wire another switch in different location. What does that look like? Also in that same box want to wire a 3 way switch using same power source as the other 2 switches.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 1, 2016, 07:29 AM
    Connect all grounds together. Connect all neutrals (white) together. Connect the hot (black) of the power in cable to hot (black) of the cable to the second switch and add two pigtails. Connect one pigtail to the single pole switch. Connect the other pigtail to the common of the 3-way switch. Connect the black to the first fixture to the other terminal of the first switch. Connect the red and black of the three wire cable (to the other 3-way switch) to the traveler screws of the 3-way switch. At the second single pole switch, connect the white together. Connect the grounds together. Connect the blacks to the switch terminals. At the second 3-way switch connect the whites together. Connect the grounds together. Connect the black and red of the 3-wire cable to the traveler terminals. Connect the black going to the light to the common terminal of the 3-way switch.

PS
    If by some chance you can move the power in cable to the single pole switch in the box by itself, that will make wiring easier because you reduce the number of wires in the single pole/3-way switch box. Connecting three wires together with a wire nut is no problem. Connecting four wires together can be done but is more difficult. Just something to think about.
    Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 5, 2016, 02:07 PM
    You are welcome.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2016, 04:23 AM
    And the art work is fantastic Harold.
    bsjones0603 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2016, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    You are welcome.
    Thanks but my wiring just a little more complex since the wife wanted to change things a little.

Quote Originally Posted by bsjones0603 View Post
    Thanks but my wiring just a little more complex since the wife wanted to change things a little.
    So I have 1 power source coming into the switch. That is going to be a single pole switch going to a celing fan. I will also have another switch in a different box controlling another celling fan, which will also be a 3 way switch just for light part. I want a separate switch for fan control in the same box (double gang). I will also need to bring power to another switch (separate box) single pole for another switch. What will this diagram look like?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a two way switch [ 4 Answers ]

I presently have a faulty two gang, two way light switch (photo: switch 1). As we never use the dimmers I have just replaced it with an ordinary two gang, two way switch (photo: switch 2). The trouble is I have about 10 wires going into the old one and a different simpler layout with three...

Wiring a switch [ 1 Answers ]

After I installed a single pole switch with a dimmer to an "in line" location, the light comes on when in the off position and vice versa.. I tried reversing the black supply and the black lead to the fixture, but it didn't help. What am I missing?

Ceiling light wiring-1 dimmer switch and 1 wall switch [ 2 Answers ]

My new ceiling light has black,white and green wires. My ceiling box has 1 single black,1 copper, 2 white grouped together and 2black and a 1white grouped together. How do I connect my new light with only 3 wires to all the ceiling box wires. I have a dimmer switch on one side of the room and a...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

View more questions Search