Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happyjack42 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 08:35 PM
    Notice of Judgement/Transcript Civil Case
    Recently a certified letter was delivered to my home to "Jack Smith, Jr.". Well, I am Jack Smith, III and my 18 year old son is Jack Smith (we changed his middle name). So when the mailman knocked on my door and asked for Jack Smith, Jr. my son figured it was for him and he signed for it and that was the last anyone saw of this piece of paper. It was meant for Jack Smith, III. I'm not sure if this helps in any way with what is about to unfold. Apparently a collection agency is trying to collect a debt that is probably about 10 years old. This letter stated that I was to appear in civil court on such and such a date... I never went because I never got this letter and I did not sign for it. Anyway... I did get a letter that came via regular mail stating that a Default Judgement was entered for this collection agency in the amount of $2500 dollars. What exactly is this? Can the collection agency touch my personal married assets if this judgement is just against me? It says I can appeal within 30 days by filing a notice of appeal with the prothonotary/clerk of the Court of Common Pleas, Civil Division... how do I do this? I would appreciate any first hand information anyone can provide. Thanks! :D
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 14, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Call the court and ask for help with your filing. When you get to court tell the judge of the delivery error and that the statyte of limitations has run out on this 10 year old supposed debt. Do not offer to settle or pay even a penny, that reopens the statute.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil action hearing notice [ 3 Answers ]

I received a civil action hearing notice for a past due credit issue. 1.Can they make me come up with the whole amount at once and not accept monthly installments? 2. Can they take it out of my paycheck without me allowing it? 3. Can they make me sell items in my home to come up with the...

Civil Judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I am a small business owner. I was in business with a distibutor, buying products, reselling them on the internet basically. I made some bad decisions and ended up owing them quite a bit of money. I returned a bumch of product, they only creditied me for about half of it. So, they contacted a...

Civil case on my credit report [ 6 Answers ]

Ok here is the deal, I am trying to by a house and the loan lady pulled my credit report and it is showing a unpaid judgement from back in June/06 that the other person never filed the paper work with the court. (I paid them the day of the court case). Ok now here is the interesting part. One...

Civil Case [ 7 Answers ]

My best friend was recently killed by a drunk habitual offender with a long criminal record, driving 60 miles an hour on 25 mile residential street. The DA has offered a plea, he will only be facing 75 months if accepted (nothing for all the heartache he has caused). Can the family file a civil...

View more questions Search