Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Connon Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2016, 04:45 PM
    40 gallon electric water heater wiring question
    Hello, my current hot water setup is through a summer winter hookup in the boiler. The boiler is leaking. I need to save the money to replace the boiler, so I was going to install an electric water heater in the meantime. I have a propane stove in place of an electric range that we replaced. My question is can I use the circuit and wiring for the range for the water heater if I change the breakers in the panel from 40 amp to 30 amp? I would also have to add a workbox in place of the old stove outlet and run 10-2 from the box to the water heater. The wiring from the panel to the box is 6 gauge, so I am also not sure if it is OK to connect it to a different gauge.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 28, 2016, 05:37 PM
    If I understand correctly you have 6-2 from the circuit panel to a box with a 40 amp breaker. You want to run 10-2 from the box to the water heater and change the breaker to 30 amps.

Yes, you can do that, it is the way I would do it.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2016, 05:42 PM
    That is OK. You can connect different gauges as long as the lower amperage is the protected source. Was the range, 120/240 or straight 240? The WH is 240. You can use the range wiring but if it is a 4 wire 120/240 setup, you would cap off the neutral.

Apr 29, 2016, 03:20 AM
    Thank you very much for the quick responses! Yes, the range was 120/240. I was thinking eventually the range plug can be put back in the future if need be and what I wanted to do will avoid tearing out the entire basement ceiling to run a new wire to the panel. Just wanted to make sure I was not making a problem for myself. This will save me a lot of aggravation until I have the boiler replaced. Thanks again!
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2016, 07:21 AM
    The only thing you might need to be careful with is wire nutting the #6 strand to the #10 solid. Make sure you get good contact with a big wire nut. You may not need a new workbox if you pull the old receptacle, add an extension ring to the wall box and then add a cover. I believe the extension ring has a knockout for the Romex.

Apr 29, 2016, 09:14 AM
    Just out of curiosity, I happen to have some 8-2 that would reach from the connection to where the water heater would be. If I were to use that, could I just leave the 40 amp breakers as is? Or is that a potential problem? I realize it is overkill for what the heater needs.
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2016, 12:46 PM
    I don't know if the HW heater wiring would handle 40 Amps, most are 4500 watts. If a short were to occur, it might fry the heater before the breaker tripped. You can run 8, but I would change the breaker to 30. Breakers are cheap and that is your protection, not the wire size. You could run a 15 Amp breaker on a #6 but couldn't run a 30 Amp on a #12, the breaker might not trip until the HOUSE FIRE consumes everything!!
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2016, 05:35 PM
    I am not going to condone or recommend this... BUT...
    I have seen dryer / range pigtails wired to an electric water heater to utilize the existing plug. The breaker was changed to suit the 30amp requirements.
    Now this is the Ozarks and I have seen many other unusual methods of wiring, plumbing and construction. I'm just sayin'...
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 1, 2016, 07:49 AM
    I happen to have some 8-2
    I wouldn't mess with the 8-2. 10-2 is not that expensive, Electrically you can use it but its not worth the savings for extra difficulty pulling it and making your wiring connections.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool electric water heater - 40 gallon [ 1 Answers ]

My water heater quit working and I have replaced both elements and thermostats, have power running through, but still no hot water. What else could it be?

I have a 30 gallon electric hot water heater lowboy built into the cabinet and leaks [ 10 Answers ]

It sits on the floor and I can't move it at all. I am not a plumber and I can't tell where the leak generates from. There is no room to take the tray off the bottom... any ideas?

20 gallon vs 30/38 gallon electric hot water heater? [ 12 Answers ]

I am faced with the same hot water heater question as others. I am building a small utility building on property on Texas Gulf Coast. Within this building I want to put a small shower stall with a hot water heater to supply this shower and occasionally use a washer. It will be for...

Where is the anode rod in a 50 gallon electric Kenmore water heater [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bad rotten egg smell. In the past I removed the rod in other water heaters, smell was gone I can't find this one. Whatttttttttttt how do I get rid of the smell?

Is a 60 amp breaker too much for a 40 gallon electric water heater? [ 2 Answers ]

I had a tankless water heater installed and after a lot of trouble with it, it died. So, I want to go back to a regular tank water heater. Can I hook it up to the existing electric service to the tankless, which is really big: two pole 60 amp breaker with a 6 or 8 wire? I have the feeling that...

View more questions Search