Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlee111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2016, 06:43 PM
    Employee insubordination
    I have an employee who I recently put on warning for insubordination. She is retallating by giving me the silent treatment.

I would like to know if there is anything I can do to stop this.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2016, 07:25 PM
    You could Fire her...

Is she considered an AT-WILL employee or is she part of a union with a contract?

But seriously... you put her on warning for insubordination... and you expect her to be chatty and happy after that..

I think you need to lighten up a bit, its not like she was being rude or condescending. Or do you need to keep heaping it on.

Someone gives me crap or writes me up then talking to them beyond what is absolutely necessary is the last thing I want to do. And that's exactly how most people would react...knowing you would be looking for anything they might say that you might take out of context.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 28, 2016, 02:50 AM
    What do you mean 'put on warning for insubordination' ? What are you running, a business or a boot camp ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2016, 08:27 AM
    A "silent treatment" is still insubordination. So give them another warning for it,
    Assuming they have a reason and need to talk to you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 28, 2016, 02:54 PM
    You don't even mention company policy! A company who gives out warnings usually has a policy. I'm not sure I understand what your position is, and how, if you can give out warnings, how it is you don't have a copy?
    Expert

Apr 28, 2016, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    A "silent treatment" is still insubordination. So give them another warning for it,
    Assuming they have a reason and need to talk to you.
    I don't get it. I have never run into or heard of this situation within a bonafide company and I have been working for many companies since 18 in Toronto Canada and now 73 and the care company I am now working for doesn't engage in this type of activity, nor anyone I have ever worked for. This sounds more like a military based organization where they can hand out this type of procedure.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2016, 04:01 PM
    I think a lot depends on what the OP categorizes as "The Silent Treatment".

I was assuming any non-essential work related talk...meaning they were NOT responding to idle chit chat that normally occurs.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 28, 2016, 04:43 PM
    As long as the employee is satisfactorily performing their duties, then they are not required to be chatty.

As noted, a definition of the "silent treatment" would help and an explanation of the company setup and policies would also help.
    Expert

Apr 29, 2016, 03:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I think a lot depends on what the OP categorizes as "The Silent Treatment".

I was assuming any non-essential work related talk...meaning they were NOT responding to idle chit chat that normally occurs.
    I am not referring to silent treatment, I am referring to insubordination.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 29, 2016, 06:07 AM
    tickle, I know someone who was given some sort of sanction for insubordination at Fidelity Investments in Boston, and she was pretty high up the ladder.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 29, 2016, 07:08 AM
    Unless the OP provides a lot more info for an informed opinion all we can do is speculate and assume and that's an exercise in futility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accused of insubordination [ 25 Answers ]

Accused of insubordination by a supervisor where I work who isn't my supervisor. I work at a motel. I am a maintenance man. I went into our breakfast area across from our front desk to fix a broken cabinet hinge. As I was entering the lobby, the front desk supervisor ask me to go stop the man...

Insubordination? [ 11 Answers ]

I had an accident at the office. I slid down the stairs. My office manager (not my general manager), also a friend, did not even bothered asking how I am. I made a status in Facebook saying "Who wants to get hurt? I'm s really starting to wonder why I even bother with some people. When it's clear I...

Government write-up for insubordination [ 2 Answers ]

My supervisor has been out due to an accident and her supervisor named me Acting Director. However, I am aware that my supervisor, Amy, has still been responding to emails and has been in contact with other staff in the office. I contacted Amy to discuss a particular case to ask her opinion on...

Terminated for insubordination [ 3 Answers ]

I have been terminated from my job. Reason given, insubordination! I have never been written up for any reason and has only missed 2 days of work. After reviewing the work schedule for the rest of November, I noticed that I was scheduled to work on a day where I was scheduled to work at my other...

Accused of insubordination [ 10 Answers ]

My supervisor accused me of insubordination because I shut a door to loudly after she put her finger to her mouth indicating that I was speaking to loudly. During this repremand she said to me "Whether you like it or not I am your supervisor". I have never once indicated or spoken words to...

View more questions Search