Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 25, 2016, 04:04 PM
    Needle biopsy on breast
    I go in for a needle breast biopsy tomorrow. Leftie is getting jabbed a few times, two spots they're concerned about.

I'm not even worried about the results. I am, however, really really worried about the biopsy.

My mom had a needle biopsy 26 years ago, when I was 19. I took her to her appointment. I wasn't allowed to go in with her during the procedure, but after, in the car, she just started crying, told me it was the most painful thing she'd ever gone through. I won't list all the things, surgeries, tests, and other, that this woman had gone through, but suffice it to say that she'd been through a lot in her life, and for her to cry in pain because of this, was a very big deal. It meant that it hurt a lot. A really lot! Also, that was the first time she had breast cancer. Yes, the first time. They did a lumpectomy, and radiation. She was clear, and after 5 years, she was considered to be in remission. Then she got it again, and this time it killed her. So you, that's a major fear as well.

Now I know that things have changed in the 26 years since she had her needle biopsy. I know that there's been progress. But my only reference, the only person I actually know in person that's been through this, happens to be my mom, the strongest woman I've ever known, and she cried, she was in extreme pain. She swore she'd never go through that again.

I'm scared. Really scared. Not about the possibility of having cancer, although I will worry about that after the biopsy. But right now, the major fear is the biopsy itself. So many people have been reassuring me that it's not that bad, but all I can see is my mom crying tears of pain in my car after her needle biopsy.

I'm pretty tough, but not as tough as my mom. I'm just scared.

So, if you've had a needle breast biopsy, what was your experience? Did it hurt? How bad was it? Be honest. I need to know what I'm in for tomorrow, and I really have no idea. I just know that I'm not looking forward to it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2016, 04:34 PM
    Yup, had one on my right breast in 2009. A local numbing agent and a very fine needle were used. If the doctor hadn't told me what he was doing and when (I had insisted, since I like to know what's happening), I would have had no idea I was getting a biopsy. It was over before I could get halfway through the Lord's Prayer (or the chorus of "Amazing Grace").

Ask for the area to be numbed with a topical cream and make sure the needle is fine. You'll be peachy-keen okay.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 25, 2016, 04:55 PM
    I already told you on FB of my experience 18 years ago.

It's really a cake walk these days. Things have come a long way in 26 years.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2016, 05:16 PM
    No personal experience with it Alty, but want you to know prayers and positive thoughts are being sent for comfort and peace of mind. Know that we'll be thinking of you tomorrow.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2016, 06:54 PM
    I'm pretty tough, but not as tough as my mom. I bet you are! My wife has had some, after numbing, said it was like a pinch and then pushing. Hopefully all will go well.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Apr 25, 2016, 06:57 PM
    Oh Alty. I'll be thinking of you. My friends say that having a mammogram is worse than a biopsy because you don't get any type of numbing. I hope everything goes well and that your results are all good.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 25, 2016, 07:46 PM
    Alty, I will be with you in mind and sprit tomorrow!

Love you kiddo!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2016, 07:47 PM
    Best wishes everything turns out fine.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 25, 2016, 08:13 PM
    You got this Alty, piece-a-cake.
    Pets Expert

Apr 26, 2016, 11:43 AM
    Thanks all.

I'm back from my biopsy, and like J9 and WG said, it was a piece of cake. The worst part was the funny uncomfortable positions I had to lay in for all three people to be able to work on me.

I didn't feel a thing, not even the needle for the numbing.

They took four samples, 3 on leftie and one on rightie. The entire thing took a little over an hour and a half. Very accurate. The ultrasound tech finds the lump on ultrasound, the radiologist numbs the area then cuts a hole to for the biopsy needle. The needle is found on ultrasound and the ultrasound tech guides the radiologist to the lump. Then the suction machine is turned on and the sample is taken.

I'm told that because I had 4 samples taken, I'll be in some pain once the numbing wears off, but so far it's all good, I'm still nub and feeling no pain.

I get the results in a week, hopefully by next Tuesday. Two weeks tops. So now I just have to cross my fingers that it's all clear.

Thanks again everyone for your support. Sorry for being such a worry wart. I just hate things like this, things where I don't know what to expect. Now that I know, if I ever have to have another one it will be smooth sailing. :)
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2016, 12:50 PM
    No need to apologize... it would be unusual if you didn't feel some worry! Glad it all went so smoothly... continued prayers and good thoughts for clear results.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2016, 12:57 PM
    Glad you had a painless experience. And just think! -- you made some new friends today!
    Education Expert

Apr 26, 2016, 07:03 PM
    I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you. Thanks for,explaining the procedure. Hopefully you're not hurting tonight.
    Pets Expert

Apr 28, 2016, 01:28 PM
    I'm a bit sore, but it's not bad, not really pain, more like an ache. Now the waiting game begins.

I can't wait to remove the bandaids on Sunday, they're itchy and a pain in the boob. ;)
    Education Expert

May 9, 2016, 04:16 PM
    How did everything go? Did you get results back yet? Sorry if you posted them elsewhere...
    Pets Expert

May 9, 2016, 04:49 PM
    No news yet. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since the biopsy. So much for 1 week, 2 at most.

If I don't get a call tomorrow I'm calling my doctor to schedule an appointment to find out the results.
    Education Expert

May 9, 2016, 05:28 PM
    You must be a saint, because I'd have been yelling at them every day. I'm not patient when it comes to results, although they don't get them any faster to me. I hope that no news is good news!
    Pets Expert

May 9, 2016, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    You must be a saint, because I'd have been yelling at them every day. I'm not patient when it comes to results, although they don't get them any faster to me. I hope that no news is good news!
    Not a saint at all, just trying to be patient, and dealing with a lot of other things that actually, surprisingly, put the biopsy results on the back burner. Strange but true, because the other events don't really add up to dealing with cancer, but they involve my kids and my pets, small things, tiny things, but things that still need to be dealt with, and that pushed the biopsy results out of the running when it came to the things I'm worrying about.

If that makes sense.

Women are strange. Oh, you may have cancer. Oh, your kid isn't doing good in math, so stop focusing on cancer and focus on the kid and the math instead. No longer worried about cancer, are you? Just worried about 8th grade math and your 8th grader now.

Mom's are silly. :)

Oh, and just an fyi, 8th grade math using the new math, will kill me before any cancer can. ;)
    Education Expert

May 9, 2016, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Not a saint at all, just trying to be patient, and dealing with a lot of other things that actually, surprisingly, put the biopsy results on the back burner. Strange but true, because the other events don't really add up to dealing with cancer, but they involve my kids and my pets, small things, tiny things, but things that still need to be dealt with, and that pushed the biopsy results out of the running when it came to the things I'm worrying about.

If that makes sense.

Women are strange. Oh, you may have cancer. Oh, your kid isn't doing good in math, so stop focusing on cancer and focus on the kid and the math instead. No longer worried about cancer, are you? Just worried about 8th grade math and your 8th grader now.

Mom's are silly. :)

Oh, and just an fyi, 8th grade math using the new math, will kill me before any cancer can. ;)
    Well, I hear you! Just when life settles down around here, we've got a diabetic dog. Two and a half weeks later, no luck with insulin #1, so tomorrow if no change, we'll try another type. It's not cancer, but it still stinks.
    Good luck with the math. Check out Khan Academy online for some help.
    Pets Expert

May 9, 2016, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Well, I hear you! Just when life settles down around here, we've got a diabetic dog. Two and a half weeks later, no luck with insulin #1, so tomorrow if no change, we'll try another type. It's not cancer, but it still stinks.
    Good luck with the math. Check out Khan Academy online for some help.
    Oh no. Diabetes isn't fun at all, not for humans, or dogs, or any living being. So sorry. But I know you'll find what works for this pup. You'll do all you can. You'll make it work, and pup will be okay. I know it! Sucks that you have to deal with it, but you'll deal with it and come out on top. I know this.

As for math. Bah! Humbug! Math is stupid! There, I said it. I hate math, and the new math, well, you might as well just shoot me in the head now because I can't wrap my brain around it at all. Math was always my weak spot. I sucked at it. I barely passed it in school. Now there's the new math. Hello! I was just getting used to the old math and now you're changing it, making it harder to understand? Are you trying to kill me? I think they are. ;)

Worst part, the parents are apparently responsible for teaching this math. Why? Because the teachers don't get it! Well news flash, I don't get it either, so I guess everyone is screwed. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Biopsy [ 2 Answers ]

What is special stains test in biopsy? After endoscopy of stomach , gastric erosions are seen and biopsy is advised. The biopsy report is taking more time as they want to do a special stain test . What is the reason for that test?

Post Breast Biopsy Pain [ 2 Answers ]

I had an ultrasound guided breast biopsy about 36 hours ago. I am very bruised and now I am experiencing a dull pain in my under arm and an occasional sharp pain (maybe 2 in the past hour) from the breast around the side towards the back. Is this normal?

After biopsy [ 2 Answers ]

I had a biopsy on Monday & had sex on Friday. Then on Sunday I am now bleeding as if my period is on. Should I he worried?

Routine breast biopsy? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi again, I read , on this site that a "fine needle" biopsy isn't painful, and should I make sure that it is "fine needle" as opposed to a "bigger needle"? Thanks in advance

View more questions Search