Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MCpoodle Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2016, 06:54 AM
    Looking for career/life advice
    After working in a strenuous manual labor setting for the past three years I feel as if I've reached my breaking point. I've wanted to get out but it has evolved into an obsession now, the work is hard on my back and calling it mind numbing is an understatement.. It pays very well around here 17.20$ an hour.. If I leave I doubt I'd see that kind of rate for a long time. Part of me would like to tough it out and in 11 months apply for a different job in the company, I'm the type of person who's afraid of change and I'm risk aviodant.

I'm 26 years old, drive a 24 year old car, I have no credit, and no schooling but I do have 10,000 saved up and I'm frozen in indecision as to what to do. Health and fitness is a passion of mine but it's so hard to turn that into a career. I've also recently made a couple hundred dollars day trading, I love the thrill of it but I know I'm basically gambling... So I think about quitting my job and getting a part time job somewhere and go to school for something g safe.. maybe a tech school for CNC or maybe a 2 year college for physical therapy assistant or X-ray technician... What do you guys suggest?

Also I know I should REALLY get on getting a credit card and establishing SOME credit
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Apr 25, 2016, 07:18 AM
    Establishing credit is good, but can get you in a BAD way quickly if you use it without respect. I have, as well as many people I know, gotten themselves in financial troubles doing that.

That being said, what do you want to do with your life? Do you want to change positions in the company? What would that new position be? Would it be something you want to do? You said that health and fitness is your passion so pursuing physiotherapy or fitness training seems to be a logical course of action. There are other careers in that field as well. That question is, what do you want to do for a career? Would something as mind numbing be good with out the physical labour side of it?

We can't tell you want to do. It isn't fair to you and you need to learn how to direct your life. What you can do is develop a five year plan. Where do you want to be in five years? House of your own? Still renting? Married? Kids? Own your own gym? In five years, where will you be? Do the same for ten years.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 25, 2016, 07:32 AM
    Keep your good paying job until you have secured the training and schooling to change jobs. Working your way through school and managing your life and finances along the way use to be the acceptable way to thrive and survive as you pursued life, career, and happiness.

Rather foolish I think to quit a good job to chase another, since it's the a solid foundation to build while you explore and experiment with your options and opportunities to prepare for that new life and career you want. This current good paying job while back breaking now has it's own opportunities for advancement and is too viable an option to disregard especially if you want to build good credit and add debts to your resume. No way will a part time job give you that, or a good savings plan which you seem to have.

Bottom line is keep working, and saving as you prepare for something BETTER in life, with a solid plan. Use your already solid foundation to build in any direction you choose to go, once you make that decision, and there is no urgent hurry for that.

For now, just learn to take care of your back, and body, treat yourself to a massage every now and then. REGULARLY! Regardless don't throw away what you have built for yourself already because your back is sore, learn to work better and keep building for the future.

You have to eat and pay rent no matter what your future dreams are about. Bet you live at home with your parents right? You should have been in school part time already. Not to late to get those academic necessities out of the way, even on a PART TIME basis, working full time.
    MCpoodle Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2016, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    Establishing credit is good, but can get you in a BAD way quickly if you use it without respect. I have, as well as many people I know, gotten themselves in financial troubles doing that.

That being said, what do you want to do with your life? Do you want to change positions in the company? What would that new position be? Would it be something you want to do? You said that health and fitness is your passion so pursuing physiotherapy or fitness training seems to be a logical course of action. There are other careers in that field as well. That question is, what do you want to do for a career? Would something as mind numbing be good with out the physical labour side of it?

We can't tell you want to do. It isn't fair to you and you need to learn how to direct your life. What you can do is develop a five year plan. Where do you want to be in five years? House of your own? Still renting? Married? Kids? Own your own gym? In five years, where will you be? Do the same for ten years.
    I'd really like to stay with the company. See the thing is I switched jobs (willingly) to a new position and I HATE it and I have to stay for at least a year before I'm eligible to bid onto another job. I have 10 months to go and I don't know if I can make it, everyday after work my back aches and I'm breathing in mineral dust all day which I'm sure is awful for me. A part of me is justtrying to take it one dayat a time and get my months in.

The job I'd like there is far from a dream job, it only pays 14.50 but the work isn't bad at all, who knows when the position will open back up. A mind numbing job that isn't overly physical and pays decent would make me happy.

In five years I have no idea where I'll be. Ideally I'd still be renting, married (or have a meaningful relationship) everything else is still a question mark. I don't mind being told what to do, I've made so many mistakes in life I feel every time I make a decision it's the wrong one. From spending so much money at the strip club in my younger years to accepting the job I have now, I've made some horrendous decisions in life
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 25, 2016, 07:50 PM
    I wouldn't beat myself up over past decisions too much, when obviously you learned something from the experience, and have also obviously made better ones lately.

It gets better now treat yourself to that back massage.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Apr 26, 2016, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MCpoodle View Post
    I'd really like to stay with the company. See the thing is I switched jobs (willingly) to a new position and I HATE it and I have to stay for at least a year before I'm eligible to bid onto another job. I have 10 months to go and I don't know if I can make it, everyday after work my back aches and I'm breathing in mineral dust all day which I'm sure is awful for me. A part of me is justtrying to take it one dayat a time and get my months in.

The job I'd like there is far from a dream job, it only pays 14.50 but the work isn't bad at all, who knows when the position will open back up. A mind numbing job that isn't overly physical and pays decent would make me happy.
    This one is up to you. The 14.50 doesn't sound like a bad wage depending on your life expectations. It is more a matter of whether you'll find the work palatable and that sounds like you'll need to wait and see. The only advice I have here is to make sure you have your interests covered before you change your career path. Don't quit or leave a job without another one lined up. In these economic times, that can be difficult. Just remember to look at what you have and what lifestyle it is affording you.

Quote Originally Posted by MCpoodle View Post
    In five years I have no idea where I'll be. Ideally I'd still be renting, married (or have a meaningful relationship) everything else is still a question mark. I don't mind being told what to do, I've made so many mistakes in life I feel every time I make a decision it's the wrong one. From spending so much money at the strip club in my younger years to accepting the job I have now, I've made some horrendous decisions in life
    Welcome to being an adult. If someone is telling you what to do then they've probably not got your best interests at heart. This is up to YOU. YOU need to sit down and figure out what YOU need to do to improve YOUR life. It might be staying at your job, or quiting it to go to school and finding something different. I am not going to tell you what to do because I am me and not you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 26, 2016, 03:48 PM
    When I was 26, I was working a mind-numbing job for just above minimum wage. In all my 69 years, I have done that seldom, and I would quit jobs in a second, living on next to nothing both between them and while having them.
    In other words - QUIT!!! There is NOTHING wrong with it. I've had 37 jobs in my life and am proud of it. The last one? Self employed bookkeeper/manager for several small builders.
    I taught myself on my own time.

Your back is killing you. Just wait til you're my age and you can't even walk. I overdid strenuous work when young and am suffering for it.
    Your passion is health and fitness. I have a relative with his own business in fitness and martial arts. He's older, so had saved enough to start. 10K isn't enough, and you need to study self-employment.

Get trained for PT would be my choice, because it can lead to a fitness business. But I'm not you. Close your eyes and THINK about what YOU want.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Career Advice [ 3 Answers ]

I did MBA ten years earlier but never got a job relevant to that.I have mostly Admin assistant job experience.Now I want to start my new career at age of 35, can any one advice how to start career and I am ready to start studies again?

Career advice [ 4 Answers ]

Okay so,I'm a 21yr old Indian; I have done my engineering in computer science and I realised a little too late that it is definitely not my thing.So I need some help and guidance as to what I could possibly pursue because I'm very confused at the moment.I have great communication and socializing...

View more questions Search