Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Khalvynnov Posts: 63, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2005, 08:47 PM
    Ad-aware Se
    Ok here I dl'd this program and it says I have 185 errors/spyware on my computer (obvious reason why computer crashed I think) beats me how they just appear like that... but anyway after I ran Ad-Aware and got to the point of selecting all and deleting the problems, ad-aware just seem to hang there not doing anythng like it froze or something. Is it just too much infor for it to process or something? Should I just try deleting 10 problems at a time and then just rescan?

Bah! Maby I just try deleting 10 at a time instaed of te whole works...
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2005, 02:43 AM
    First, do you ever go on a web site and a little box pops up asking "Do you want to... blah blah blah" and you click on yes? That will be where some of the spyware comes from. The rest are either tracking cookies added by websites or software installed when you download other bits of software like Kazaa.

Best thing to try would be to restart your computer in safe mode and run Ad-Aware from there. That will probablty solve the problem. If you don't know how to get into safe mode, let us know and we'll tell you.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2005, 03:44 AM
    yeah that may be why it froze in the first place, most spyware are just simple cookies that remember passwords etc, (not harmful) others come through either just from surfing around or active x controls etc etc etc. may be that the spyware is running and its making it freeze so like he said, run it in safemode, that's your best bet.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2005, 07:15 AM
    Spyware
    Hi,
    You said you have run AdAware_SE. Yes, I think the reason it stopped is because there was just too much to deal with at one time.

Here are some suggestions for Spyware, and how to use them:

If you think you already have Spyware/Advertising Ware in your computer, run these as follows:

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3
    (If you use the Spyware Blaster free program, then don't set SpyBot to the Immunization feature)

AdAware at:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE

CWShredder at:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    (CWShredder is intended only for removal of CoolWebSearch files; placed as spyware on the harddrive). It is not a "stand alone" scan, but needs to be run. Download the free version by clicking on "Download stand alone version of CW Shredder".

All 3 of the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.

To get into SafeMode:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter

It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times; then run the SpyBot. Then, run CWShredder.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first
    Time.

If you wish to have a great program, after you clean out Spyware/Advertising Ware:
    SpyWare Blaster 3.2
    Great, free, program that STOPS spyware, trojans, home page hijacks, etc, BEFORE they get into your computer, also has weekly "definitions" updates. Check it out at CNET at link:

http://www.download.com/SpywareBlast...ml?tag=lst-0-2

Since you already have AdAware_SE, try out the SpyBot and the Spyware Blaster. This one stops stuff BEFORE it gets into the computer, and can be updated with definitions weekly.

Just for information:
    If you wish to add or subtract from an Experts' reputation, or show appreciation or discontent with an answer, click on the "balance scales" icon by the Experts' name. You can then choose what you wish.

Best wishes,
    fredg
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Mar 10, 2005, 09:33 PM
    Try Spysweeper at www.spysweeper.com.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What rights does a self aware AI have if any? [ 66 Answers ]

If there were a self aware AI, what rights would you grant it?

Can Ad-Aware Goof & erase good files? [ 3 Answers ]

Before I ran Ad-Aware I could plug a monitor into my dell laptop and have a mirror image of the laptop screen. After running Ad-Aware the moniter screen stays blank (dark). Could there be a connection? I don't want to jump to conclusions.

Hkey found through ad-aware se [ 3 Answers ]

Every time I scan I com with ad-aware, the result contains many hkey related tracker. How can I remove them cmpletely? I've follow some advice posted about the dso exploit when scanning with spybot. The method is deleting the 1004 file and create a new dzword 1004 and reseting the hex value to...

Ad-aware [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All. Today I reverted my system back to the stahe it was at when purchased due to some problems I'd been having. The first thing I did was check that my webmail was working then I downloaded Ad-aware and scanned my PC. To my dismay, considering the PC was back to being 'new out of the box',...

Spyware and ad-aware [ 6 Answers ]

I've been attacking my computer with Ad-Aware and going places I didn't know existed trying to get rid of the last few thorns in my side: Adserv and something called nitrous something, can't see it as it disappears before I can get all the info. I am also being bugged by Shopnav, the alternative...

View more questions Search