Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    da1uknw Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2016, 09:33 AM
    Missing without a trace...
    I'm looking for Jeannette M McCarthy she went missing from Ghana on 4/22/2016... she was suppose to catch her flight back to the United States the evening. The hotel staff advised she left to go take a walk and never returned. Her room was unattended and all her belongings are still there. I'm currently located in the united states. I do have pictures of her she is European descent 5'6 average build... the hotel she was staying at should be close to the airport. Please help!!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 24, 2016, 09:42 AM
    Sorry to be blunt, but have you actually met this person in the flesh or purely online ??
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2016, 09:42 AM
    Have you ever met her in person, or is she an Internet friend? Had you send her money before this disappearance?

Apr 24, 2016, 09:56 AM
    No I never meet her in person and yes I did send her money but not just her. Long story short, she was there on on assignment she is a chef. She was suppose to leave on the 14th but got caught up doing a business deal reference some exporting some gold. So yes, I've talked to her lawyer and all if that. Use I may be a little to trust worthy but I believe her her when she need my assistance in getting the hell out of there. I just got off the phone with her lawyer and he is just as concerned as I am. I'm the only point of contact for her.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 24, 2016, 10:07 AM
    How long have you known her? Did you know her before she went to Ghana?

Where is her lawyer located?

Have you contacted the US embassy? Has her lawyer? Has he asked for money, yet?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2016, 10:08 AM
    How do you know that person is really a lawyer?

Who else did you send money to?

A chef exporting gold?
    BossMan

Apr 24, 2016, 10:11 AM
    You are being actively SCAMMED !!!

Apr 24, 2016, 10:28 AM
    You guys are making me like crap, don't you think I already knew the risk... the lawyer is from Ghana, I looked him up. Yes she is a chef, this deal was a fluke from a previous client she was working with that's how she ended up in Ghana anyway. This client was there to buy gold and asked her if she wanted to get some. The equivalency was more than expected. Hince where the lawyer came into play, she couldn't travel internationally with that amount and not have appropriate paperwork for it. Ibtookbthks at face value, yes I may have been gulable or a sucker. What if her life is in danger, I never dealt with this before... and the lawyer sounds fresh out of law school... so if I lost what ever amount of money I sent I did it of the kindness of my heart. I will recover my losses one way or another, I just don't want anything bad to be happening to this person, my friend...

We meet before she went to Ghana...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 24, 2016, 10:34 AM
    I'm sorry my friend but you have been scammed. What you haven't told us is how you got in contact with this woman?

You say that a woman you never met somehow got in contact with you and gave you some story that she needed money to help her get some gold out of Ghana? And you sent her money? What were you supposed to get out of it?

How do you know that she even had a flight and did you actually talk to the hotel? If this is real, you report the disappearance to the local police.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 24, 2016, 11:08 AM
    NO ONE made you look like crap. We get questions that are variations on this every single day here, and care! We have warned men who have ignored us and continued to send more and more money for new obstacles. When they run out of funds, the woman disappears, or 'dies' or is just never heard from again.
    Ghana is the 'woman wants to meet me but needs me to send money' scam capitol of the world.
    The women are married or in a relationship, and often there is a large group all working on several people all over the world all at once.
    They have no intention of meeting you in person.
    We even hear from men who have flown over there to find them. They never do.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2016, 12:07 PM
    "a business deal reference some exporting some gold". And no doubt you would have been cut in on the deal. Think now, how many chefs do you know export gold?
    While I hope there is some iota of truth here, I believe you have been scammed. Hince (sic) where the lawyer came into play, she couldn't travel internationally with that amount and not have appropriate paperwork for it. That too is a clue to a scam, a "special person" can get things done. Did it ever occur to you that customs may have something to say.
    BossMan

Apr 24, 2016, 12:54 PM
    Interestingly enough I have just received this mail concerning a gold opportunity..

Greetings!

We Magburuka Community Mining represent a large number of local artisan miners in Ghana.
    We are prepared to provide quantities of up to 500 kilograms of 23karat alluvial gold monthly.
    below is the information concerning our gold:

Product: Alluvial gold dust
    Quantity: 1-500 kilograms available monthly
    Quality: 23 karat alluvial Au
    Origin: Ghana.
    Price: $27,000 per kilogram (Negotiable)

We are prepared to offer the quantity of gold required to the Buyer [or their representative] upon their arrival here in Accra. After the Buyer has confirmed the quantity and the quality of the gold with their refinery, and is satisfied, only then will we accept payment by bank transfer, from the Buyer to us. Further, we currently seek outside-based serious investors on a partnership basis in order to increase our production capacity. If you are interested in this proposal, or have any further questions, kindly contact me. Looking forward to doing business with you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 24, 2016, 01:13 PM
    Interesting. Gold is currently selling around $1200 per ounce. There are 30 grams to an ounce. So by my calculations a kilo would be $41,000. What a bargain!! Where do I sign up? Yeah right.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 24, 2016, 04:44 PM
    No one is trying to make you look like a fool, or make you feel like a fool.

I'd start by googling scams in Ghana. I'd also do more than Google her "lawyer", I'd call the law offices he claims to work for.

This is a scam my friend, and a very common one. You, like many others, believe that this person is real, care, want to make sure she's safe, but the fact is, she never existed. It was all about money. She/he, or whatever "she"was to you, was never real. "She" is alive and well, and now the "lawyer" will ask for money to help you find the woman (likely not even a woman) you care about, and if you care, you'll send that money.

Fact is, "she" and the "lawyer" are likely one and the same.

"She" is fine. It's all a lie. Just walk away. Really, just walk away. I know it's hard to accept, she likely told you all these wonderful things that your lonely heart wanted to believe, but it's all lies.

You're not the first one to be fooled, and you won't be the last. But you're only a fool if you continue to believe the lies. So my question is, are you a fool? Do you want to be a fool? If not, accept that you were scammed, and move on.

Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2016, 05:07 PM
    To be missing, she had to actually be a real person. They use fake names, fake passports and use the names of real people and real banks in doing this.

You will get a email or call in about 30 days, saying she is in hospital and needs money for doctors, (normally this happens since you sent money)

These scams are operated by large companies, that have dozens of workers working day and night, and computer departments that can fake (at least for email photos) passports, documents and more, that appear perfect.

I got to tour one of these in my mission trip to Ghana some years ago.

None of this is real. I am sorry, you have been scammed. At least in your case it was not love. But money. In the ones for dating, they promise love, sex and a wife. Then there is such emotional pain. In yours it was just a matter of greed, (sorry but that is how they work)

I get about 2 or 3 of those emails every week also. I get Facebook messages, skype calls and more out of random.

So it is easy to fall for them.

Apr 24, 2016, 05:22 PM
    Wow, I see... and maybe your right just cut my loses and move on... I have no words!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2016, 06:43 PM
    Be prepared, you will in 2 week to 6 week, get a email from them or someone, with a very believable story. They may even relate some news article to it. Believe me they are good.

On my visit to one of the shops (they were very proud of it, but did not allow photos for obvious reasons. (They were one of the large donors to the local food bank) These businesses own police protection, and operate with no fear of the law, since cheating foreigners in other nations is not really illegal there. The crime is not really "in their nation" and not against their people.
    And they employ a lot of people, proving for the local economy.

If the get rich things were real, everyone, knows someone, that is real in other nations to do it, they would not be sending 1000's of random emails to people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Trace [ 1 Answers ]

Who is calling my phone blocked

Missing persons accra ghana Looking for Labrams Osman missing since Feb 12, 4:30pm [ 13 Answers ]

5ft.7in appox. 130lbs long dark brown hair caucasian, very attractive Labanon decent.

Trace IP [ 12 Answers ]

Is there such thing as an app that traces an IP to a physical location? You know... like in the movies? I've tried a few that get it down to the city, but no further. Is there such a thing? Thanks!

Trying to trace a friend [ 9 Answers ]

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Jenny (née) Cheadle who lived in Gunnislake, Cornwall, in the early 1970s and earlier? We were both students in the French department at the University of Bristol from 1969 to 1972. She married soon after graduating and may have taken her husband's surname (which...

View more questions Search