Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kfoyle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2016, 06:38 AM
    AZ bug
    Common on dogs that resemble a crab, have about 20 short legs, create a small bump and they burrow just under the surface skin
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 17, 2016, 07:14 AM
    Tick?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 17, 2016, 10:27 AM
    Depending on the size of the "bug," it could be a tick or one of the various mites. Is it visible to the naked eye?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2016, 07:34 PM
    With 20 legs it isn't a tick or a mite. Ticks and mites are arachnids with 8 legs.
    writer1hal Posts: 36, Reputation: 5
    In love with life!

Apr 18, 2016, 11:10 AM
    Pseudoscorpions. Maybe?
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2016, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by writer1hal View Post
    Pseudoscorpions. Maybe?
    That is an arachnid too. Poster noted "about. 20 short legs".
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Apr 18, 2016, 01:09 PM
    Centipedes and Millipedes have that many legs and a Sow Bug has a bunch of legs
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 19, 2016, 01:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    With 20 legs it isn't
    common on dogs
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2016, 05:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    common on dogs
    My point was that the suggested items, ticks, mites and pseudo scorpions are arachnids and don't have 20 legs as originally noted by ,OP.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 21, 2016, 03:07 PM
    I do agree with ma, ticks don't have 20 legs. But then, remember that the poster said this bug burrowed under the skin. Has he/she actually seen the bug, and counted the legs? Doubtful.

A crab like bug that is common on dogs, sounds like a tick to me. Fleas wouldn't be easily visible, and no way they OP could count a fleas legs. Also, ticks don't burrow. Ticks can be rather big, especially after feasting for a while.

Only thing is, ticks don't burrow under the skin.

Does anyone know of a 20 legged bug that burrows under the dogs skin and lives in Arizona? If such a creature exists, surely it wouldn't be hard to find, Especially for Catsmine, who's a bug expert.

Long story short, I think we need a picture of this 20 legged dog burrowing bug.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 21, 2016, 03:26 PM
    Okay, I've seen my share of ticks. While they may not have 20 legs, they sure as heck LOOK like they do!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 21, 2016, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Okay, I've seen my share of ticks. While they may not have 20 legs, they sure as heck LOOK like they do!
    LOL! I know! I feel the same way. I squish them before I take the time to count legs, and once they're squished, it's impossible to tell what's what, so counting the legs, not possible. But yes, I agree, they look like they have at least 20 legs when you see them, and fangs, and an evil grin while they're sucking the blood out of your dog.

Sadly, that's our perspective, and not reality.

Evil bugs!
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 22, 2016, 01:33 AM
    The ONLY "bug" with just 20 legs is a freshly hatched millipede. As they add body segments, they get MORE legs. They don't infest dogs. Therefore the "about 20 legs" in the OP is a misperception. A tick bite will raise a bump, as will the head if the body of the tick is pulled off. Several other species of mites DO burrow under the skin, including scabies and mange mites.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I tell if bug bites are parasites from within my body or bug buts found home? [ 2 Answers ]

I am finding EVERYWHERE what looks like a piece of tobacco (under magnifying glass, definitely not tobacco). Small sliver-like brown (they look like tiny cigars) pieces of what can only be described as burnt ground beef or coffee grounds everywhere. Also, my cat has ear mites and is being...

What's this bug [ 0 Answers ]

The bug is very small - like an ant, has two antennas-very short. Looks black but then brown after being squished, has little legs. It looks very flat and thin. Does not fly. I would include a foto but not sure how to do so on here, I may know what it is from other sites but not sure yet.

What is this bug? [ 1 Answers ]

Well, today actually I got up out of my bed really quick and came back. When I was about to lay back down I noticed that there was a little gray bug moving around in my blanket. But its so unordinary, it looks like an earwig and a pill bug literally had a baby. It was disgusting & I would like to...

View more questions Search