Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdemeyere Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2016, 06:21 PM
    240V wiring - plug and outlet mismatch
    New compressor is 240v, 20amp, 3 wire (white, black, ground). Existing 250 volt outlet & plug are L14-30, 30amp, 4 connectors (2 hots, neutral, and ground). How do I wire the plug? If I have to change the plug and outlet to L6-30, what do I do with the 4th wire in the wall?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2016, 08:23 PM
    Use an L6 30 receptical and plug, cap the neutral in the box. Make sure the new breaker is 30 Amp double.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 16, 2016, 06:07 AM
    If this compressor is "out of the box, new" then I am surprised that the manufacturer is using a three wire connection. NEC code now calls for a four wire connection. However, if the existing receptacle is thee wire, then you can convert the cable from the device to the receptacle.

Check with the manufacturer to make sure you have a device that is listed for the U.S.A.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 16, 2016, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    If this compressor is "out of the box, new" then I am surprised that the manufacturer is using a three wire connection. NEC code now calls for a four wire connection.
    Don, seriously?

You should know that this only applies to 120/240V household cooking appliance and electric dryers. A compressor does not and never did apply, mainly because it is a straight 240V load which only requires two hots and a ground.

Apr 16, 2016, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Use an L6 30 receptical and plug, cap the neutral in the box. Make sure the new breaker is 30 Amp double.
    Thank you all for your replies. I was thinking I could still use the L14-30 plug and receptacle by using the 2 hot leads (brass screws) in the plug and the ground (not use the silver screw connection at all); then cap the neutral in the box - 3-wire to 3-wire?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 16, 2016, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rdemeyere View Post
    Thank you all for your replies. I was thinking I could still use the L14-30 plug and receptacle by using the 2 hot leads (brass screws) in the plug and the ground (not use the silver screw connection at all); then cap the neutral in the box - 3-wire to 3-wire?
    Using the plug is fine without the neutral hooked up, but keep it hooked up at the receptacle.

Apr 16, 2016, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    Using the plug is fine without the neutral hooked up, but keep it hooked up at the receptacle.
    Okay great - just so you know, I had the shop wired single phase, not 3-phase 250V circuits.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2016, 09:01 AM
    "Existing 250 volt outlet & plug are L14-30". Sorry, missed that. Yes, just disconnect the neutral and cap off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring 240v wall heater to a 3-prong dryer outlet? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello - I am installing a 240V wall heater in my basement. I want to plug it directly into the existing 3-prong 240V outlet that is used for the dryer. I have run the 10/2 wire (two hot and a ground) from the heater to the outlet, but need some help figuring out how to hook this up. From what...

12-3 wiring from gfi plug to outlet to plug in a 110v pool pump [ 5 Answers ]

Need to verify proper wiring for above 110v pool pump.

View more questions Search