Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tricky1549 Posts: 126, Reputation: 2

Apr 14, 2016, 05:38 AM
    Two state taxes
    Hi all, my son works in NY but lives in NJ, in what order does he have to file, Fed/ NY/NJ or Fed/NJ/NY? He also earned income from NJ before working in NY. Thanks
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 14, 2016, 05:47 AM
    He should complete his Federal return first, then the NY State return. He will figure taxes he owes for the year to NY due to his NY-based income (i.e his NY wages). After that he figures his NJ tax, on which he first calculates NJ taxes based on all income for the year but then takes a credit for taxes paid to other jurisdictions (i.e. NY State) - this is why he has to complete NY before NJ. Most people in this situation who don't have much other income end up paying little to nothing to NJ, but because he has some NJ-based income he may have some taxes owed to NJ.
    Tricky1549 Posts: 126, Reputation: 2

Apr 14, 2016, 05:51 AM
    Why thank you for your answer and quick reply. Going to hop on it now. Thanks again.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 14, 2016, 06:34 AM
    You are most welcome! Just to add one other bit of information: he will fill out the NY State non-resident return (IT-203), and although it requires he report his total income for the year, when it's complete it really only taxes his NY-based income (the reason he has to report all income to NY is to determine the correct tax bracket).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Had no earnings in 2012 in NC, moved to a new state. Must I pay state taxes in origin [ 7 Answers ]

Had no earnings in 2012 in NC, moved to a new state. Must I pay state taxes in original state? I lived in NC for 1/2 the year in 2012. I still have a house that will soon be up for sale. I took most of the year off and had no earnings in North Carolina. I did pay property taxes of course. I ...

Owe state taxes in another state don't work in that state, can they garnish wages. [ 6 Answers ]

I owe back taxes in state of Maryland but work in virginia. Can Maryland garnish wages in viriginia.

We lived and worked out of state for the entire year and paid taxes to another state. [ 1 Answers ]

We are legal residents of Georgia, but have lived and worked in Virginia for two years. We paid taxes for the entire year to Virginia, but Georgia still insists we pay the same taxes to them. Somewhere I read in the Georgia Tax code that income earned out of state while living out of state is not...

Is it illegal for a company to deduct state taxes for time not worked in a state? [ 2 Answers ]

I sometimes work in a state that has a state income tax but I live and work mostly in a state that does not have a state income tax. My employer has been deducting state taxes (for the state that has an income tax) on all my earnings even though more than half the time I do not work in that state....

Ny state tax extensionwhat form would I use to file an extension for ny state taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

What form should I use to file an extension for ny state taxes?

View more questions Search