Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fivos Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2016, 11:43 AM
    Do creditcards/debit cards/ bank cards get damaged when in contact with magnets?
    Info needed for research. Thanks to everyone who answers
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 13, 2016, 01:26 PM
    Per A. Dean Sherry, chemistry professor at the University of Texas at Dallas, associate director of the Rogers Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Center, and radiology professor at the university's Southwestern Medical Center, it isn't the power of the magnet; it's exposure time. "The field strength isn't all that important," he said. "Even a refrigerator magnet should work eventually. It is well known that magnets will wipe out information on credit card stripes. However, it doesn't always happen after one exposure. It may take several exposures for the card to be deactivated, but it will happen eventually."
    Wasn't hard to find several sites about this. You might want to read about the different types of cards these days, such as smart cards, because they contain a chip.
    Try 'magnetic stripe card' on wikipedia.

My father went through an MRI with his wallet once, and lost all his card stripes.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Apr 13, 2016, 01:29 PM
    Magnets can deactivate the magnetic strip on a bank/credit card given enough exposure.

[This] link was helpful for me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2016, 09:27 PM
    Why not research ? Get a local bank or other location to agree to help.
    Even other places that use cards for ID and doors.
    Set up difference magnetic fields, and expose to strength and time differences.
    Then you can do a study of many cards and determine the effects.

If you really want research what about doing a project to determine.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 14, 2016, 06:36 AM
    One of the advantages of the new cards with embedded chips is this problem goes away.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Apr 14, 2016, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    One of the advantages of the new cards with embedded chips is this problem goes away.
    Assuming the chip still works...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 15, 2016, 05:15 AM
    When I check into a hotel I am frequently told to keep the door cards away from my phone. I have had to have the cards reprogrammed after putting it to near the phone.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 15, 2016, 05:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    When I check into a hotel I am frequently told to keep the door cards away from my phone. I have had to have the cards reprogrammed after putting it to near the phone.
    I've had the sane experience - but it turns out that the type of cards used for hotel key cards are much less robust in terms of standing up to magnetic fields than the material used with credit cards. Also if you have the experience of your key card working one day but not the next this article says it's more likely faulty coding on the part of the hotel staff when you checked in:

http://www.secureidnews.com/news-ite...otel-key-card/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Complex Tarot Card Probability. Drawing 80 cards w/o 22 trump cards being consecutive [ 1 Answers ]

My Nephew is into Tarot Cards. I am teaching him math. He asked me a question I have no idea how to answer. A new deck has 80 Cards in it, including 2 non-use cards. If we draw all 80 cards in a random order 1-80, what are the chance that we will not get any consecutive trump cards, of which there...

A set of 20 cards consists of 12 red cards and 8 black cards. [ 1 Answers ]

A set of 20 cards consists of 12 red cards and 8 black cards. The cards are shuffled thoroughly and you choose one at random, observe its color, and replace it in the set. The cards are thoroughly reshuffled, and you again choose a card at random, observe its color, and replace it in the set. ...

Probability of getting an ace from 50 cards if 2 cards are randomly removed from 52 [ 6 Answers ]

From a pack of 52 cards 2 cards are randomly removed. Then what is the probability of getting an ace from remaining 50 cards?

Debit cards [ 10 Answers ]

Hi all I was just wondering if it is better to use a debit card when paying bills or would it be better to write a check, I always pay my monthly bills by check but I have heard so much about debit cards I was just wondering I have two accounts one for spending and one for paying bills ...

Garnishing of credit or debit cards [ 3 Answers ]

If a judgement is filed against you can they garnish pre paid debit cards or credit cards?

View more questions Search