Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frenchtown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2016, 12:45 PM
    Hook up new light fixture
    The electrical box has 2xblack, 2xwhite, 1xred and 1xblue. How do I connect new light fixture with 1xwhire and 1xblack?
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Apr 11, 2016, 12:55 PM
    I would go White to White and Black to Black.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2016, 02:25 PM
    Use a VOM to test which hot wire is switched. Then connect it to the light black and white to white. Blue is a bit strange in a supply box.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 12, 2016, 01:45 PM
    Are you located here in the U.S.A.

The wiring you are describing suggests that you are in Europe.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Apr 12, 2016, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    Are you located here in the U.S.A.

The wiring you are describing suggests that you are in Europe.
    More than likely. He said he only had a black and white on his fixture he is going to hook up.

Apr 13, 2016, 04:50 AM
    The presence of the Red and Blue conductors is what is troubling me, particularly if this is a residence.

I can understand the presence of a red conductor if a switch-loop is involved, but the blue needs to be explained.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2016, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    The presence of the Red and Blue conductors is what is troubling me, particularly if this is a residence.

I can understand the presence of a red conductor if a switch-loop is involved, but the blue needs to be explained.
    Most newer house rooms are wired with a 3 wire circuit circuit through 2 switches so you can hook up a fan with a light and fan circuit. Our house, 8 years old, has a double switch in every BR and the LR. White, black, red. Blue is the confusing factor unless someone added another wire for a separate fan light which is usually blue.

Apr 13, 2016, 06:23 AM
    It would really help if the OP would respond and let us know what is actually there.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2016, 12:38 PM
    Was there a fixture there before?
    Hook up the new one the same way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I add (and control) a second light fixture to a pull chain light fixture? [ 10 Answers ]

I have an existing pull chain light fixture installed in an area in the basement. I need more light in that area. I want to add a second fixture in the area. Can I connect it to the existing pull chain fixture in some way so that the new fixture will operate off the existing fixture and turn on...

Light fixture shorted out, replaced fixture, now no power [ 4 Answers ]

In my bathroom, I have 1 grounded receptacle, & (1) 2 wire light switch that controls the 4 bulb light fixture. This is on a circuit with my upstairs lights & outlets, which all work with no problem. The bathroom receptacle has never worked, I replaced it after moving in house 10 years ago, & it...

How to change a pull string light fixture to a wall switch controlled light. [ 2 Answers ]

How do you change a pull string light fixture to a new light fixture with a wall switch. I have two wires running to the existing string light and am not sure what to do with those wires. I plan to change the light as well.

How to change a pull chain fixture to a fluorescent light fixture with a switch ? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to install a switch for a pull light fixture. The only power is from the light fixture, but I want to put a light switch on the wall as I enter the room, Can you help ?

Hamton Bay outdoor light fixture... how to replace a dead light bulb. [ 0 Answers ]

I have to see if one of the glass panels slides up or down or left and right. It does not appear that the top or bottom is removable. Don't have instruction guide... don't know the model number

View more questions Search