Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Daniel Herring Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Mar 8, 2005, 03:42 PM
    Is someone out there - I'll ask again
    I am researching a work of art for my employer. The artist: Gean Smith, a famous equestrian artist, yet, no one seems to know anything about this work. It is a black and white, 14x22(?), signed, and dated 1911. The subject matter (shades of "Ben Hur") is a horse race in the Roman Circus Maximus.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2005, 04:29 PM
    Here is a comment in a newspaper, and a web site that you must register to gain info but seems informative. If you did a websearch, you probably already found them.

“Noted Painter in Retirement Here is Dead; Gean Smith Nationally Known for Equestrian Pictures.” Galveston Tribune. 8 December 1928.

http://www.askart.com/artist/S/gean_smith.asp?ID=7554
    Daniel Herring Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2005, 03:15 PM
    To my first reply ever
    Thanks tkrussell
    lburns Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2006, 09:37 AM
    I have quite a bit of information on Gean Smith. He was my Mother's Great Uncle. He was born in New York and was a famous artist, mostly equestrian. He painted many of the famous race horses of the time, in late 1800s. He was born in New York state in 1854. In his later years in lived in Galveston, Tx where his sister lived. Some of his work is on display at the Texas State Capitol. You may have already visited this website, but if not, I would encourage you to visit it, www.askart.com. Search for Gean Smith. Some of the information is free, but if you join, which I believe a one-time or one-month is only $11.95 approx. With access to this website you can find what is art has sold for at auction.

I am lucky to have two paintings by Gean Smith, passed down to me. Up until a couple years ago all I knew was what my Mother told me which was that he was a famous painter of horses. I found an art historian who knew about him and had an appraisal done on one of my paintings of a horse. It appraised for $9,000. She also told me how to frame it to preserve it. Go to website www.drloriv.com/lectures/smith.html to learn more about Gean Smith. This website also has information on her appraisals. Hope this helps. Thanks, Lori Burns
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2006, 08:09 AM
    "Ben Hur" was originally a novel written in the 1800's. A movie was made in the black and white/silent films time that got great reviews, stirred up conversations, was just a remarkable film of it's time. A tale of Christ unlike any other and the rise and fall of one mans life "Ben Hur" and how he ultimately was able to forgive his enemies. The chariot race sequence in the Roman Circus is one of the most thrilling and famous in film history. The first film was created in 1907. Since the painting you are inquiring about is dated 1911, I would assume Gean Smith was painting a scene from the chariot race out of the first film. This would correlate with the paintings black and white nature. The novel was published in 1880 and became a best seller. Then the films in 1907, 1925, and 1959.

-Kae

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search