Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mountainrover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2016, 05:39 PM
    How ro choose an air conditioner for 1100 sq ft x 116/18 ft ceiling Loft apartment?
    Hi

I ilve in a loft apartment that is cool in wither and extremely hot suring summer days in San Francisco. I have floor to ceiling windows - it's a corner unit and the main living area gets sun from sunrise until sun down.

I get confused with choosing an air conditioning unit. The loft has 16 - 18 ft ceilings and is 1100 so ft with the floor to ceiling windows. I have blinds but it is unbearably hot in spite of the blinds.

Most online stores tell you to choose a unit based on sq footage of room but the height of my ceilings create a complication so cubic footage means there is more area to cool down, right?

Can you advise?

Thanks in advance.

Confused in San Francisco
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 6, 2016, 05:54 PM
    You aren't thinking of a window unit are you? What kind of heating are you using?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2016, 08:49 AM
    You need a 3 ton heat pump. If you oversize the return air vents and make the supply lines larger you will get better efficiency. Your air filter grill should be twice the footprint of the inside unit. Place the unit where it will be easy to wash out the coils. The coils should be cleaned yearly along with the blower.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2016, 09:33 AM
    If you want to use window units then put a two-ton unit (24000 btu) in the large room and smaller units in the other rooms. That should work, but you will need to have a bigger circuit (20-30 amp/ 240 volt) wired for the big unit and other 240 volt circuits for the other units.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Apartment rooftop air conditioner shuts off after 3 hours [ 2 Answers ]

Our apartment air turns off after 3 hours when it is supposed to stay cooling. Maintemance man said it is "probably in the unit on th roof", and we would need to get a "professional" to check it out. What could be causing this?

Air conditioner compressor buzzing when air conditioner not running [ 2 Answers ]

Outside unit making low constant hum noise, can be heard 4-5 ft away. fan on outside unit blows when thermostat is lowered and ac comes on. Cool air blowing from vents in house when air come on. Wondered what the noise is?

Air Conditioner won't get cold, yet water leaks from air conditioner [ 4 Answers ]

Air conditioner is turned on, but it will not cool. Water leaks

Need plans for converting a pole barn into an apartment with a loft. [ 7 Answers ]

need plans for converting a pole barn into a beach house in panama city beach, Florida. It is 12 x 24 with 13 foot eave. Would like to have 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, kitchen and den combination and washer and dryer area on the ground floor and an open loft for the beds for kids and guests. :eek:

Need to Replace GE Fan Motor for outside York air conditioner air conditioner [ 2 Answers ]

The motor model number is 5KCP39EG IT IS A HP 1/4, VOLT 208/230, rpm 1075, hz 60-50 pHASE 1. Are they making this motor anywhere? If so where? Thanks

View more questions Search