Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HandxStands Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2016, 03:38 PM
    Career Switch
    So I've got a BS degree in Nutrition and have been working in the that field for a little bit now and have honestly found that the pay is lacking. And frankly, I'm not that happy in the field. Anyway, I've got a whole family full of construction managers and superintendents and I want start pursuing that without going back to school. Is this going to be possible? What steps do I need to take?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 4, 2016, 06:54 PM
    Lots of people change careers, and most keep working AND get some schooling so they can succeed and thrive in them. Is it realistic to think you can thrive, and have a great career without working hard to prepare for it?

Of course NOT!

Or do you think others that have done the work to get where they are will just give you a free ride?

Of course NOT!

A great start would be by asking those that have done it, how they did it, and follow their example.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2016, 08:10 PM
    You don't just move into Construction management just like that... there is a massive amount of knowledge needed in that field to do that work. And not everyone is cut out for it or has the aptitude.

My Brother is in that line of work... and right now dealing with someone on one of his crews who must be the most incompetent guy on the face of the earth. That guy literally can't do anything right yet thinks he alone is an expert in everything and everyone else is wrong. And will argue with anyone that tries to tell him otherwise...I doubt that guy will make it much longer.
    HandxStands Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2016, 08:35 PM
    I didn't mean to make it seem like I was expecting to move into it just like that. I've got my dad who has 30+ years experience in the industry and is willing to take me under his wing. I'm just on this site to get some more input and different points of view!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2016, 10:24 PM
    First, as an answer to others, (not you) that may be reading.

When you study or start to study something at university, you should always look at what the pay is. The pay is not low all of a sudden it is always low for entry positions.

The issue with yours, is that you can find lots of areas and places to earn more money, what do you plan, and what additional education

But of course you can change careers, I did so about 4 times, and back and forth a bit.

You will have to expect low pay, and on the job training.
    As you progress, if you do not have a mechanical, electrical or other engineering degrees, some of the people under you may not want to listen and not take you seriously. A
    hanerykroze Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2016, 02:13 AM
    To start any business contact to good business consultancy who can understand your needs and requirements. Business consultant provide expert or professional advice in particular areas such as management,human resource,law,quality manaement, life coaching,any many others. Business consultants provide an analysis of the existing practices of a company and make recommendations for improvements.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 5, 2016, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HandxStands View Post
    I didn't mean to make it seem like I was expecting to move into it just like that. I've got my dad who has 30+ years experience in the industry and is willing to take me under his wing. I'm just on this site to get some more input and different points of view!
    Expect to start at the bottom like any beginner, get the hardest and worst jobs. Expect no favors from anyone because you're the bosses son (Quite the opposite in fact as you will be sorely tested). As in anything in life, you better wrap your head around SCHOOLING to QUALIFY for better positions because DESERVES has nothing to do with success.

There are no substitutes or shortcuts that beat hard work, and applying yourself. You had to apply yourself to be a nutritionist, and this will be no different. Maybe you will be able to appreciate the hard work and PERSEVERANCE of your dad and relatives by following in their footsteps because it's never as easy as they made it look.

It took YEARS for them, and no doubt it will take years for YOU also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I have a Miller furnace that I have replaced limit switch 626337 and aux switch 62639 [ 0 Answers ]

Blower will not come on when furnace comes up to temp but can turn blower on with switch in fan setting.

Had no water banged on pressure switch started working so changed out switch worked [ 7 Answers ]

Had no water Friday night. Banged on switch sat morning and it starting working for a few minutes. Changed out switch sat. afternoon work until Monday morning. Now now water and the breaker is tripped. When I wired it up I put the two wires coming from pump one red and the other black on the two...

Separate Fan light switch, fan switch and switch for can lights to one location [ 2 Answers ]

I have A circuit that has 6 can lights and a fan light. The power is at the switch box I need to know how to wire the separate switches for the cans,and the light on the fan, and fan (That would be in a three gang switch box.) to one location.

View more questions Search