Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    responsible1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2016, 03:39 PM
    With high govt debt why do some economists call for more borrowing
    The debt of the U.S. federal government is almost $19 trillion, yet a number of economics are calling for increased borrowing to finance increased program spending. How will this debt be repaid and in view of the increased debt how will current government operations be sustained?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 30, 2016, 05:16 PM
    One theory is that in times of low interest, it's good to borrow to stimulate programs that stimulate hiring and so on... it has worked in the past.

Debt is a 20 volume set of big fat books. There's a wealth of information out there just by googling 'US debt.' This is not the right place for people to write them again.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2016, 05:07 PM
    The idea is, that the government does not worry about paying it back. They assume that will be some other political persons problem.
    They only worry about providing things for the public and getting re-elected.

They believe for foreign policy and to help control other nations, they must give them money.
    They are even talking about free health care, free university and more which all costs money.

A much higher tax, of about 50 to 60 percent of earnings is about the only possible way to do it.

Other nations of course merely defaul on the loans at some point and start with bad credit but no debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sued by a Debt Collector in AZ, Default 5 years, interest is as high as original debt [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I was sued because I defaulted on my auto loan 5 years ago due to losing my job, I then returned the car to the auto loan company, I received a letter a few years back that they sold the car to get money back of course. I know I am going to respond within 20 days, thanks for all the...

Economists, help please! [ 0 Answers ]

Finn has the following utility function: U=√C*L where C represents real consumption spending and L hours of leisure time consumed daily (i.e. T = 24). As a result, his first-order condition for utility maximization can be written as a simple ratio of the arguments in his utility function:...

Trying to get a number to call about borrowing money from 40lk retirement [ 2 Answers ]

Want to borrow money from401k , need a phone number

High secured debt virtually no unsecured debt [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I have managed our finances pretty good, not great, but highly dependent on my good paying job... which I just lost. I suspect that it could take over a year to even get a 75% of my prior pay level :( House is at least 85k upside down {if even sellable}, 1st mortgage and home equity...

Pandering to economists [ 3 Answers ]

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/13/business/13view.html?ref=business What do you think, especially the economists out there? Which ones do you agree with? Which ones not? And why?

View more questions Search