Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Apr 13, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Errrr. Which cable goes where?
    Okay, I've started putting a PC together, it's my first ever build and I'm trying hard to follow the instructions exactly; problem is that I can't figure out how to connect the cable for the Power LED to the motherboard. :confused:

The connector from my case (it's an EZ Cool Alpine G5) has a "3 pin" type connector like this:

----------------------BLUE WIRE
    ----------------------BLANK (no wire)
    ----------------------WHITE WIRE

But the instructions show:

---------------------POSITIVE WIRE
    ---------------------NEGATIVE WIRE

It's still only two wires, but I'm sure it must be configured like that for a good reason... can anyone help me?

[IMG][/IMG]
    mobius_thought Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2007, 03:50 PM
    Three pin connector is likely a fan, not an LED. LED connectors should be two individual single-pin sleeves, or possible two sleeves in one plastic casing.
    jfriesen Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Apr 25, 2007, 08:06 AM
    I've seen LEDs be inked to a 3 pin connector. Fist, Like Mobius said, make sure that it is the LED, and not a fan by mistake. If it is in fact the Power LED. The simplest thing to do is to pull one of the wires out of the connector and sit it next to the other one so that you can just let it overhang on the connector block. Removing the wire is easily done by using a jewelers screwdriver ( or a pocket knife verrrrrrriiiiilllllyyyy carefully) and pressing in on the mettle area that is seen on the side of the connector, meanwhile pulling GENTLY on the wire. This will free the wire and you can snap into place in the middle hole. Check first to see which wire it is you want to move so that your connector will in fact hang off the edge and not go into the blue area, while your +&-'s are correct. If this computer had a previous motherboard in it: see if you can determine which way the wires went on it (it can be hard) to help you figure out which wire is which. If I had to guess I would say that the white is negative. You may have to give it a test boot and try it different ways before putting the pin back into the connector. Be EXTREMELY cautious doing this, you don't want to shock your motherboard, or you'll get to start this project over again. Hope that helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bx cable [ 1 Answers ]

I have bx cable mostly through my house. I need to rerun some of the cable because of kitchen renovations. What type of electrical wire do I purchase to connect to the present bx cable Assuming 20amp circuit. Thank you

BX cable [ 1 Answers ]

Most of the wiring in my house seems to be bx cable. Can I use the updated wire with 3 wires and how do you hook up three wires to the electrical box. My breakers have the back wire going to the breaker and the other going to the bar. Can I put in a breaker that accepts two wires and connect the...

BX (AC) cable [ 1 Answers ]

My electrician just installed new wiring in my house. It is of the aluminum wrap type. The roughing in was done and the cable left hanging down in the cellar. It was laid between a water pipe and a painted 80+ year old poured concrete wall. In a period of about 2 months, there is a rotted 5 inch...

BX Cable [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for cutting BX armored cable without buying a special tool? I just have to cut two wires to tap into the line but am a little afraid of damaging the wires inside. Thanks. Dave.

View more questions Search