Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rackcity Posts: 100, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2016, 08:53 PM
    How much student loan can you get?
    Long story short, lets say somebody accrued approximately 120K in loans from grad school and for whatever reason leaves that school to enroll in a state school in a different (non professional degree program)... would a loan still be available to that person for undergrad?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 28, 2016, 10:31 PM
    The programs, and types of loan, all differ. It is possible, but honestly not recommended, since it may not be possible for them to ever pay such high loans.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 29, 2016, 03:25 PM
    It really does not say very much for the character of the person to even consider this. It would lead to a lifetime of debt and trying to avoid it and a lot of bad credit.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 29, 2016, 03:38 PM
    Long story short, lets say somebody accrued approximately 120K in loans from grad school and for whatever reason leaves that school to enroll in a state school in a different (non professional degree program)... would a loan still be available to that person for undergrad?
    So you left that program to pursue another in a different school, for a non professional degree? What happened to the $120K? If you left, then you didn't need it to complete the program. So you should have tons of money left from that loan. Enough to complete the new program in a lesser college for a lesser degree.

In other words, why do you need more money? From reading your posts you were in college learning to be a pharmacist. Now you've quit and are going to a new college for a lesser degree? What are you studying now? How close did you come to getting your license as a pharmacist?

I'm not sure a bank or a loan committee, would give another loan to someone that didn't fulfill their first goal, and are now moving on to a lesser degree. How will you pay back the $120,000 you already owe for a degree you'll never use? How will you pay back future loans? You're putting yourself into a heap of debt without a solid future goal on what you're going to be doing as a career.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Mar 29, 2016, 07:49 PM
    Complete the FAFSA, and you'll have your answer from them. The office at your school can help you once you've completed the FAFSA.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 30, 2016, 03:38 AM
    Dollars to donuts the answer is a big fat NO. You are going to be paying that 120K for the rest of your life as it is.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 30, 2016, 04:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    So you left that program to pursue another in a different school, for a non professional degree? What happened to the $120K? If you left, then you didn't need it to complete the program. So you should have tons of money left from that loan. Enough to complete the new program in a lesser college for a lesser degree.

In other words, why do you need more money? From reading your posts you were in college learning to be a pharmacist. Now you've quit and are going to a new college for a lesser degree? What are you studying now? How close did you come to getting your license as a pharmacist?

I'm not sure a bank or a loan committee, would give another loan to someone that didn't fulfill their first goal, and are now moving on to a lesser degree. How will you pay back the $120,000 you already owe for a degree you'll never use? How will you pay back future loans? You're putting yourself into a heap of debt without a solid future goal on what you're going to be doing as a career.

Student loans don't work that way. They don't pay you in advance so that you have money in an account. It's pay as you go. So, the amount of debt is already $120k. Any other loans would add to that $120k.

To the OP, fill out the FAFSA. Chances are, though, you will not be eligible for any more money.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 30, 2016, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Student loans don't work that way. They don't pay you in advance so that you have money in an account. It's pay as you go. So, the amount of debt is already $120k. Any other loans would add to that $120k.

To the OP, fill out the FAFSA. Chances are, though, you will not be eligible for any more money.
    Yes, I understand that. I thought that's what I posted. Obviously my post wasn't clear. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student loan Garnishement? Can a 10 year old loan still be a garishment? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a student loan that is over 10 years old. I graduated in March 2000. Can the collection agency still take me to court to garnish my wages? Or put a lean on my home? Is there no time constraint on them?

Can I file 1040A as I am an international student and paying my Student loan in USA? [ 1 Answers ]

To,Atlanta Tax Expert Hi,I am an international student currently on OPT-F1 visa and working full time. I am paying my student loan in USA through citi bank.I am going to get the 1098e form from bank about $2800 interest or something.. I called many tax filers and telling me different forms.....

Can I file 1040A as I am an international student and paying my Student loan in USA. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,I am an international student currently on OPT-F1 visa and working full time. I am paying my student loan in USA through citi bank.I am going to get the 1098e form from bank about $2800 interest or something.. I called many tax filers and telling me different forms.. I am so confused what...

Married student from India, on OPT, cannot claim student loan on 1040NR. Help? [ 1 Answers ]

I am married & was on OPT till sep 09 & from Oct 1 H1B. I don't pass substaitial presence test. Since I am from India, I can claim personal exemption for my spouse as well as standard deduction. But I was not give student loan deduction. IRS said that my status is married filing separately, where...

Another F1 student - Private International Student Loan on 1040-NR-EZ [ 11 Answers ]

I'm in my fourth year of college as an international student. I filed 1040-NR-EZ since my first year since I always had a small income coming from on-campus employment. I financed these past two years of school with Sallie Mae International Student Loans and I was wondering if those will influence...

View more questions Search